Go Back   JeepBBS > Marketplace > Buy/Sell Jeep Stuff
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Buy/Sell Jeep Stuff Anything legal you want to purchase or get rid off, let fellow jeepers know about it here

Old 03-11-2002, 03:16 PM
Reggae

WTB: A Computer

I need to buy a quality computer. My budget is $500..$800. This is going to be an office machine, no games, and no music - nothing like that. It has to be a very reliable machine though. Must run Windows 2000 (or I can install it myself, I have a copy I bought and don’t use anymore).

Desirable CPU: Intel Pentium III or IV.

The reason I post it here: Maybe someone is in the business of selling computers, or saw good prices somewhere.

I used to make my own computers. But I am a little behind on what motherboards and components are the good bang for a buck these days. If you can configure a list of components and tell me where to buy them, that would be a nice option too.

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 03-11-2002, 03:23 PM

Well, I do sell computers to businesses but mine start at $50k up to several million$$. Take a look at Dell's site or even IBM is starting to come down in their pricing for some quality stuff.

Sorry that's not a lot of help, yesterday's premium machine is today's junk so you might look for clearance sales at your local stores.

Jeeper

Many Jeeps with Stuff
Old 03-11-2002, 03:29 PM
Reggae

Dell and IBM are on top of my list. Dell, because of prices, and IBM because I like them (although they have a machine that fits my budget). I am going to hit the Best Buy and CompUSA on my way home tonight, see if they have any good deals on brand names. There are plenty of mom and pop stores near by where I live, but I wouldn’t go there to buy a brandless computer (although I buy cheap parts from them sometimes).

Old 03-11-2002, 04:02 PM

If you decide to buy IBM and purchase it from them, call Les R on JU. He's an IBM sales rep and sold me a couple hundred thousand dollars worth of goods last year. He's a Jeeper and Stu has met him. I can forward his work contact information if you are interested.

It's only a 4 cylinder...wait up!
Old 03-11-2002, 05:02 PM

TO, there are tons of package deals out there but you'll probably have to go about $900 and get stuff you don't need or want. Just buying a computer without all the periphials is tough.
Places like Comp USA will tell you exactly what components to buy to put your own together.
Good Luck,
Ron

I like the way my Jeep is now..... I'd just like it, well, a little higher off the ground with more ground clearance!
Old 03-11-2002, 05:19 PM
Reggae

Yep. This is a computer for business. I’ve been told to buy one that “wouldn’t break” and cost between $500 and $800. I visited Best Buy, Home Depot, and Comp USA today. Within my price category the only brands that are available in these stores are: Compaq, Hewlet Packard, E-Machines, and Sony. I heard horrible things about E-machines, good things about Sony, and I am not sure how to take the other two.

Mail order, I could buy a Dell for $500..$700. The cheapest IBM on their web site is $719 but the cheapest one in stock is $849 (Eee - over budget).

Jim, can you get me Les R's e-mail addy? Thanks!

Old 03-11-2002, 06:14 PM

My wife and I both have HPs. Hey, all the companys put the sme crap in 'em so I wouldn't know what the difference is? Unless it's a junk motherboard like Pacard Bell used to throw in.
Let's face it, the biggest problems with computers is MICROSOFT and it's crappy operating systems.
Ron

I like the way my Jeep is now..... I'd just like it, well, a little higher off the ground with more ground clearance!
Old 03-11-2002, 06:27 PM
Reggae

I just ordered a refurbished Dell OptiPlex GX240:

- Pentium 4 Processor 1.7GHz, 256K Cache, Integrated NIC and Sound
- 128MB 133MHz SDRAM (2 DIMMs)
- 1.44 MB Floppy Disk Drive
- 20 GB EIDE Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
- 16MB,ATI RAGE ULTRA 128
- Internal 56K Capable V.90 Fax Modem
- 24X Max Variable CD-ROM Drive
- Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional
- Logitech PS2, 2-button Mouse
- Quietkey PS/2 Spacesaver Keyboard with 3 Programmable Hot Keys (Gray)

Subtotal: $644.00
Shipping/Handling: $95.00
Sales Tax: $57.28

Total order amount is: $796.28

We'll see how well it goes. It sounds pretty powerfull for the price, and I can always add more memory later... I hope the order goes through.

Old 03-11-2002, 06:34 PM
Reggae

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TJRON:
Let's face it, the biggest problems with computers is _MICROSOFT_ and it's crappy operating systems.
[/quote]

Actually, MS-DOS v3.30A was pretty darn good!

Old 03-11-2002, 06:42 PM

Good choice on the Dell. I had them put together an OptiPlex for me last year (that's what I'm typing on) and have nothing bad to say about it. I'm trying to swing away from Compaq at work to Dell after my Dell experience (not that Compaq is bad, just that Dell gave me EXACTLY what I asked for)

Upcountry XJ

YJ tub, YJ 'frame', MB 'look', TBI 350/700/D300, GM D60/14 bolt, etc., etc., etc. leaf sprung on a 101" wheelbase

(former station wagon on 35" MT/Rs owner)
Old 03-11-2002, 09:03 PM

I use a Dell laptop and I just love it! I actually prefer it over my desktop.

Good luck!
Old 03-11-2002, 09:47 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TJRON:
Let's face it, the biggest problems with computers is _MICROSOFT_ and it's crappy operating systems.
Ron

[/quote]

Sorry Ron but I have to bite on this one. In the last year I've managed the technical integration of three companies we've acquired all of which had infrastructures built on mixtures of Linux, Netbsd, Apache, and other open source crap. I can't count the number of hours my IT team has wasted getting this garbage to work on both new and existing hardware as well as keeping it running at anything more than pitiful traffic levels.

By contrast we easily support a consistent load of between 25K and 40K concurrent users on our busiest site on top of Windows 2000. We can have a new Windows 2000 server up and running on just about any hardware with little more than an hour of effort.

In fairness we've been transitioning the non Windows sites to Sun hardware running Solaris and have seen very good results from that as well.

Windows 95 and 98 aren't the least bit reliable but it isn't fair to lump Microsoft's real operating systems into the same bucket. Even NT4 worked pretty darn well.
Old 03-12-2002, 11:20 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Microsoft.....they offer two flavors....consumer and professional. Unfortunately, everyone with the consumer grade OS thinks the professional grade OS runs just as badly! LOL

The ONLY cabana boy in this community who has won a raffle!
http://www.stu-offroad.com
Old 03-12-2002, 12:12 PM

I'd have to agree on the Win 2000 story. I almost like it (it's what I beleive was promised for Win95) and it's even fairly reliable. I bet I only have to reboot a couple of times a month now instead of 3-4 times per day. XP.....I don't know about the call-home-to-big-brother registration thing, but it's supposedly built on the same platform as Win 2K (as I' have been marketed too).

Upcountry XJ

YJ tub, YJ 'frame', MB 'look', TBI 350/700/D300, GM D60/14 bolt, etc., etc., etc. leaf sprung on a 101" wheelbase

(former station wagon on 35" MT/Rs owner)
Old 03-12-2002, 09:51 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stu Olson:
Microsoft.....they offer two flavors....consumer and professional. Unfortunately, everyone with the consumer grade OS thinks the professional grade OS runs just as badly! LOL

_The ONLY cabana boy in this community who has won a raffle! _
<A HREF="http://www.stu-offroad.com[/quote]" TARGET=_blank>http://www.stu-offroad.com[/quote]</A>

I agree Stu. My dad runs W98 and when I visit I'm amazed at what a piece of junk it is - crash, reboot, hang. I do appreciate why anyone using W95 or W98 would think MS OS's suck. It's trying to maintain compatibility with ancient i8086/8088 code in real mode that made them what they are today. Bad technical decision but I understand why they made it.
Old 03-13-2002, 02:46 PM

I also do IT for a living - we have 10K employees all across the world.

While I despise Microsoft's networking software for it's lack of security - it's OS is still the best in the biz.

I think it's funny that people freak over MS and say "oh they're a horrible monopoly" etc.

Hey - if you think your better then build a better mousetrap - for the past 10 years no one has been able to.

Dell makes great machines - you'll be happy.

Jeff

shopping for the right XJ
Old 03-18-2002, 05:44 PM
Reggae

Update

Just got the computer today. It is small and cute. And the Windows XP Pro is very candy looking. It wanted to know my name immediately, and sent it to the big brother. I said, that my first name was "Computer", and my last name was "User".

Old 03-19-2002, 01:01 PM

I'm looking at buying a new computer and
was wondering what the thoughts are on the MS XP 'home' ?

Thanx

Bruce

'84 CJ-7 'ONDROKS'
Det/9"s F/R, NV 4500, MPI
OBA, Bla,Bla,Bla........

Its just a sign of the times,,,,,,,,,,,,
Going forward,,,in reverse,,,,,,
Old 03-19-2002, 05:23 PM

XP = Xtra Problems. I'll stick with Win2k until I find a good reason to switch. I suppose a new machine can't be loaded with Win2k anymore though...

It's only a 4 cylinder...wait up!
Old 03-19-2002, 07:50 PM

Jim - I think you can still buy Win2K.

You can always find someone with an archived copy and store it for them offsight - like at your house

Jeff

shopping for the right XJ
Old 03-19-2002, 07:58 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

I've used every version of Windows (even 3.0) except the NT's and Windows ME. Win 2K is a stable operating system while retaining the familiar interface of the Win 9X platform. I'm still running 2K at home and have no plans to upgrade until I scrap the computer sometime this summer.

At the office I'm running XP pro on every new machine that I bring in and have upgraded two Pentium III's with it as well. Like 2K, it is very stable and easy to use. It does have a freshened interface but can also be run in "classic mode" as well. A nice feature is its ability to run in compatibility mode (Win 2K, NT, 9X, etc.) for older programs (I've only had one program which required compatibility mode, Autocad R2000). Additionally, it has some nice features like built in zip folders (no more need for Winzip), CD burner built-in, improved multimedia interface, yada' yada'. Unless you have a need for these, it's probably not worth upgrading from Win 2K.

As for XP Home, it is fine for most home users. One thing I found out the hard way is that unlike Win 9X, you cannot log onto a Windows NT domain with this operating system. Other than that and a few other little features, they are identical and XP home is a good way to trim $100 off the price of your computer compared to Pro.

Bottom line is that it is a pretty good OS. The only negative is that it needs to be "activated" on your computer (via net, voice?, mail?, etc.) and cannot be loaded on another computer for 4 months without contacting Microsoft and explaining yourself, not that anybody here would do that.

Jeff
Old 03-20-2002, 01:52 PM

Bottom line is that it is a pretty good OS. The only negative is that it needs to be "activated" on your computer (via net, voice?, mail?, etc.) and cannot be loaded on another computer for 4 months without contacting Microsoft and explaining yourself, not that anybody here would do that.

Jeff[/QUOTE]

Jeff,
does the 'Pro' have to be "activated" with big brother ?
And, does it look & function like 'Home'

Bruce

'84 CJ-7 'ONDROKS'
OBA, Bla,Bla,Bla........

Old 03-20-2002, 02:31 PM
Reggae

AFAIK Windows XP Professional activation is mandatory. You do not have to register it though.

Old 03-20-2002, 03:19 PM

Thanks Sergey

Bruce

'84 CJ-7 'ONDROKS'
OBA, Bla,Bla,Bla........

Old 03-20-2002, 04:19 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

XP Pro & Home versions are almost indistinguishable. Looking at the back of my Pro box, it says it has all the features of XP home and:

- premier mobile support for the ability to work offline or access your computer remotely

- greater security, including the ability to encrypt your files and folders

- built-in support for high performance multiprocessor systems

- designed to work with Microsoft Windows Servers and management solutions

The last feature is the only reason I need XP pro instead of home. Like Sergey says, activation is mandatory, registration is optional. You have 30 days to activate.

I'd save the $100 and go with the home edition.\

Jeff
Old 03-20-2002, 04:23 PM

Thank you Jeff.
I just talked with my former IT guy and he said the same thing...
The funny thing is, his name is Jeff also.

Bruce

'84 CJ-7 'ONDROKS'
OBA, Bla,Bla,Bla........