Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 03-26-2005, 12:25 PM

Wink Upgraded Steering System Questions (aka: Can't Retire Early ... Went to 35's)

Once upon a time, I said I would NEVER move up to 35's because of the cost of everything else that would be needed to appropriately accommodate that change. Well, of course, I violated my own philosophical stance, and now I am in the land of the soon to be poor.

As some of you know, I am in the middle of a ton of mods on my 2000 TJ. In several recent instances ... just when I thought I finally had the "final list" of mods squared away (and had recalculated my retirement target to an even later date) ... lo and behold, something I was doing or got involved with suddenly reared its ugly little head and said, "ah yes, that's all well and good, but now you'll need to add this or modify that".

That's where I am now at with my TJ's steering. Here's the progression on this little gem.

- Going with 35's? Then you'll need improved brakes.

- OK ... how about a rear disc conversion?

- That's OK, but you'll need something more than that with 35's.

- OK ... I'll get the rear discs and a Vanco hydroboost.

- That's good, but you'll need more pressure and flow from a better power steering pump for the hydroboost.

- OK ... I'll get a Howe TC 1300 PSI pump, smaller diameter pulley, and separate reservoir.

- That's good, but with getting double duty out of the new power steering pump (for both the hydroboost and steering), you better get a cooler.

- What?

- And with 35's, you ought to upgrade to a better steering box and take advantage of the upgraded steering system.

- What, me worry?

OK ... no major whining here ... just having a little fun at my expense (and the latter is certainly no joke).

Here are my questions:

1) What specific replacement steering box is recommended for a 2000 TJ with 35's? I saw Lee mentioned in a couple of threads, however, there also seemed to be some question as to the lead time for those units (and I need something in the next couple of weeks at the latest).

2) Whether it is a Lee or another brand, will the new steering box require any significant mods to the frame for mounting purposes? How about interfacing with the steering ... any issues there?

3) What steering system cooler is recommended and where are folks typically mounting it?

4) How about mounting the Howe power steering reservoir in the engine compartment? For those running this system, where's a good spot to mount the reservoir (and how did you physically mount it)?

5) Anyone want to contribute to the, "I bought a Jeep, went to 35's, blew my retirement nest egg, and have to work 'till I die memorial fund"? (Of course, if my wife should read this post, I would be pushing up the daisy's in short order, which would also solve my problems as well I suppose)

Don
Old 03-26-2005, 02:32 PM

I can't tell you anything about the Howe stuff as I am running Tommy Lee's pump and resevoir. We used a t to plumb in the hydrobooster and then I found a 4x7 tranny cooler and ran it through the low pressure return. Seeing how I'm still running the stock box - all that stuff must be working
Old 03-26-2005, 04:43 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Don,

Unless things have recently changed, Van's hydroboost is now using a PSC pump (when you order a hydroboost with a pump). I exchanged some e-mail with him a couple of weeks ago and he informed me of the change away from a higher flow stock pump.

If you do some searching, I believe one of users recently posted a pump & reservoir install. Some things under the hood were relocated, etc. Good reading for sure.

My site shows where I ended up putting the PS cooler. I used a $30 Hayden tube and fin cooler. There are various brands out there offering different designs and shapes.

As Robert mentioned, I am using my stock box without any issues at this point, albeit the higher flowing pump has only been on since last August.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stu Olson
Don,

Unless things have recently changed, Van's hydroboost is now using a PSC pump (when you order a hydroboost with a pump). I exchanged some e-mail with him a couple of weeks ago and he informed me of the change away from a higher flow stock pump.

If you do some searching, I believe one of users recently posted a pump & reservoir install. Some things under the hood were relocated, etc. Good reading for sure.

My site shows where I ended up putting the PS cooler. I used a $30 Hayden tube and fin cooler. There are various brands out there offering different designs and shapes.

As Robert mentioned, I am using my stock box without any issues at this point, albeit the higher flowing pump has only been on since last August.
Stu,

Well, between you and Robert, going the route of your stock steering boxes seems to be working with 35's and the steering system upgrades. I'll also look on your site for the cooler install.

In terms of the Vanco hydroboost unit, I didn't even know that Van would be at the EJS vendor show, but there he was. I first talked with him on Thursday, and indicated that I wanted the hydroboost with the pump option for my TJ. I didn't get a chance to actually make the purchase until Friday, but when I returned to do so, there apparently was some confusion, as Van had quoted me the basic unit without the pump. When I reclarified that I definitely wanted the pump (which I thought was basically a tweaked, remanufactured stock pump), I got the impression that there were none to be had. I believe Van did mention something about some guys going with a PSC pump, but I have to admit I was more interested in going with whatever was the pump of choice from Vanco.

At that point, Van mentioned that he had previously purchased the Howe pump, pulley, and reservoir six months earlier (when he was coming down to meet you), but that the parts were not needed after all, and that he still had them. So that's what I ended up buying along with the hydroboost (and Van gave me a great price on the Howe equipment, which I appreciated). Also, from what Van said, I purchased the same Howe parts that are apparently in Blaine's Jeep.

Anyway, I'll look up the thread you mentioned, and will then follow-up with Blaine after he gets back from JV to see what he ended up doing with his Howe stuff.

Thanks,
Don
Old 03-26-2005, 07:08 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

I happened to be on Van's website earlier today. He had a note on it that said he would be at EJS (first I knew of it too). The note said he would be doing installs and would be with the PCS folks. I figured that made sense since he had told me a couple of weeks ago that he was using PCS pumps now instead of the modified stock pump like I ended up with.

Yes, he had the Howe pump with him when he came down to help get mine squared away. That is a nice pump and reservoir for sure. It should give you good service.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
...Tommy Lee's pump and Pamela Anderson's resevoir....
Is that a new video?

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 03-28-2005, 08:13 AM

Heh,
Thats one wore out resevoir
Old 03-29-2005, 08:49 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Can you super size it so to cut down on fluid contamination?
Old 03-29-2005, 09:32 AM

Talking

Yeah ... but if you do that, you won't like how it feels or performs
Old 03-30-2005, 01:17 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!