Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 11-01-2001, 03:02 PM
Banned

Doing a brake job, ?s

Are there any brands of parts to stay away from when doing a stock brake job (shoes/pads)? I haven't done my own brakes since back when I was in high school. Any tips?

Also, does anyone have experience with the following, ever heard of 'em, or know if any of this stuff would work on a D35 and a D44 (they're cheaper than buying a SSBC Wrangler-specific kit). If I were to upgrade axles later what needs to be changed to use disc kits on another axle?

Ford SVO Explorer Disc Kit: 11" Solid Rotor with parking brake. (5 on 4 1/2" bolt pattern). Big bearing with 3/8" holes-new style (BB-SB). (Requires access hole in axle flange)

Ford SVO Explorer Disc Kit: 11" Solid Rotor with parking brake. (5 on 4 1/2" bolt pattern). Big bearing with 1/2" holes-old style (BB-BB). (Requires access hole in axle flange)

Wilwood Economy Disc Kit: 11 1/2" Solid rotor, no parking brake. 5 on 4 1/2" bolt pattern.

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom
Old 11-01-2001, 04:00 PM
Administrator

First off, no brake conversion from SSBC is worth owning. They are a bunch of hillbilly engineers that know very little about the basics of what we need.

Second off- I will by end of business tomorrow, have in my possession a part I designed and had machined, that will allow the use of ZJ rear discs on a TJ 44. It is already possible to directly bolt-up the ZJ stuff on a 35. Just get the brakes from a ZJ 35 and the e-brake cables from the donor at the same time.

There are only three differences between the Explorer rear discs and the ZJ rear discs. One is the hole in the center of the caliper piston, the second is the bolt pattern and hole size for the end of the housing. The third is that the ZJ parking brake shoes use 2 springs and the Fords use 4. Other than those minor differences, they are identical.

They are by far the best way to go for a TJ needing rear discs. (all TJ's need rear discs)

Any questions?

It is not who you know, It is who knows you
Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps.
Which is more important, the degree or education?
Old 11-01-2001, 04:29 PM

Blaine, if I sand on them a lot, will they fit my Dana 60?

Jeff
94 YJ, one or three mods

http://jmcrae.rockcrawler.com

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Old 11-01-2001, 04:56 PM
Administrator

No, but I can put a bolt pattern in them for you.

Old 11-01-2001, 05:08 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Blaine,

Sounds intriguing. What do you anticipate the cost of your machined part and the cost of the ZJ components? I imagine it'd be hard to get the ZJ parts w/out getting the whole rearend, no? If you bought all new parts would that make the cost astronomical? I guess I'm more curious than anything since my first $$$$ will probably go towards the front hub conversion.

Jeff
Old 11-01-2001, 05:30 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Blaine, answer Jeff's question so I can hear it too!

http://www.stu-offroad.com
Old 11-01-2001, 05:46 PM
Administrator

I don't think that you have to get the whole rear end from a salvage yard. Seth said he checked and there were several sets available in San Diego.

The part for the adapter is very simple and merely takes up the difference in backing plate thicknesses. It also provides a more robust bearing/axle retention plate. I am estimating the cost at somewhere around 15.00 a side. This is based on 6.00 for the flame cut part and 9.00 for the final machining.

I will be doing a prototype on Mr. Yates's rig probably next weekend. I have all of the parts and will see if they go together as I have designed them.

I would also prefer that this info and the availability of the machined adapter stay on this board. You all are welcome to it for my cost, but I am only building 10 sets right now and they are mostly for us.

Old 11-01-2001, 05:59 PM
Banned

Thanks!

Old 11-01-2001, 06:44 PM
Banned

Yes, question

The ZJ (1994 - 1998) brake components are:

Rotor
Caliper
Caliper Adapter
Backing plate
Brake Hose

Any parts you see left out? Can I use anything from the TJ (i.e., backing plate)? Also, I thought Grands had a different bolt pattern, do they, does it matter?

Edit: and, are there parts to stay away from (I'm doing front and rear) when doing a brake job?

Old 11-01-2001, 06:55 PM
Administrator

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ace!:
The ZJ (1994 - 1998) brake components are:

Rotor
Caliper
Caliper Adapter
Backing plate
Brake Hose

Any parts you see left out? Can I use anything from the TJ (i.e., backing plate)? Also, I thought Grands had a different bolt pattern, do they, does it matter?

Edit: and, are there parts to stay away from (I'm doing front and rear) when doing a brake job?

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom[/quote]

You use nothing from the TJ. You list a backing plate which is really a splash shield for the discs. It is riveted to the caliper adapter. You will be removing the backing plate from the TJ.

Stay away from offshore anything in your current brakes. Only use Performance Friction linings and don't worry about the rears. They are probably fine. Just adjust them out near the drum. Don't turn the front rotors unless they have deep grooves. They were originally machined on a half million dollar outfit with good tolerances and a high level of accuracy. Why ruin that with a 500 dollar brake lathe that hasn't been re-calibrated and is full of metal chips?

Old 11-01-2001, 07:02 PM
Banned

Thanks again. It looks like about >$850 from the dealer to do both sides, so I better start saving

I'll make some calls tomorrow and see how many of these are laying around in local salvage yards.

Edit: Z-Rated or Carbon Mettalic (PF Pads)? I see both listed as applicable for the front.
Old 11-01-2001, 08:10 PM

if you are taking back orders on that plate put me down for the second run. I hope I will have some cash by then to settle up my debts.
and it would sure be nice to stop while the shifter is in R

a little TJ with a few mods check her out at www.real-jeeps.com
Old 11-01-2001, 10:16 PM
Administrator

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ace!:
Thanks again. It looks like about >$850 from the dealer to do both sides, so I better start saving

I'll make some calls tomorrow and see how many of these are laying around in local salvage yards.

_Edit: Z-Rated or Carbon Mettalic (PF Pads)?_ I see both listed as applicable for the front.[/quote]

The z-rated are for higher speeds and take more heat to be sticky. You don't want them.