Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 08-03-2001, 03:43 PM

FRS or GMRS or CB or VLA ???

As surprising as it may seem, I have never had a CB in any of the four 4x4's I have owned and wheeled over the last 26 years. In my ripe old (middle) age, I am now considering getting something so I too can pollute the airwaves. But what? I have been looking at FRS radios, which are nice in that they're portable, but do enough Jeepers carry these? The GMRS radios apparently have better range and they also share some FRS channels ... but again, are these in widespread enough use offroad? Then there is the old trusty CB ... more bulky, and now you have to hard mount things ... but it's probably the offroad communications "standard".

What do you guys recommend? And if it is the CB route ... what are some recommended examples of solid, high-end units (since I am a sucker for such things and never go bargain-basement)?

TIA,
Don

2000 green Sahara, auto, TeraFlex S3T lift, TeraFlex UCA's & LCA's, TeraFlex front/rear track bars, Edelbrock IAS shocks with TeraFlex rear shock relocators, 4.56 gears, Detroit TrueTrac in D30/Dana TracLok in D44, Advance Adapters SYE, TeraFlex HD rear d riveshaft, 1" Daystar body lift, 1" Metcalf MM's, TeraFlex Belly-Up crossmember, Good Year 33x12.50 MT/R's mounted on Mickey Thompson 15x8 Challenger wheels, Car Sound cat, Flowmaster 50 muffler, and 2.5" exhaust piping. In boxes in the garage
Old 08-03-2001, 03:47 PM

Stu?

Little 2000 TJ ... itching to grow
Old 08-03-2001, 04:01 PM
Banned

I like CB. Most people have them, and they've typically got better range than FRS (I think).

I've got the Cobra 75WXST (CB w/weather). It works, and allows me to disconnect it so it doesn't get stolen (it's got a disconnect so you take the mic/controls with you or lock 'em up if you want). All of the controls are in the mic. Take a look at http://www.cobraelectronics.com

I wouldn't buy it again though, and that is because with the controls in the mic it is somewhat bulky, and doesn't have the sound I'm looking for (not that any CB is ever really crystal clear). I think it is a quality piece but if I had to do over I'd buy a larger hard mount unit. As it is, I'll be installing an amplified auxiliary speaker in my Jeep. At some point I may move it to our Cherokee and install something else in an overhead Tuffy console with auxiliary speaker.

For purchasing, I've found good prices at http://www.valcoelectronics.com

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom
Old 08-03-2001, 04:32 PM

This is the one that I have, mrblaine and Dusty David. I like the compact feature. We hid the transmitter under the radio in the dash. Take a look at:

http://www.shopcobra.com/product.asp?sku=1755973

We installed the mike to the right of the steering wheel, it points right at me so I can hear it really well, and it is out of the way, and is reachable by short persons such as myself in the case of a rollover.
JeepKat
Old 08-03-2001, 04:35 PM

I have both FRS and CB. I have had good luck with both of them. It has been my experience that not as many people have the FRS radios as have the CB's. I have heard from several who have the little Cobra radios that they wouldn't buy them again. They are cute and fit nicely, but don't have good sound quality(?) I have no personal knowledge of this, though. I have a Uniden mounted under my cigarette lighter .. perfect spot, I think. Doesn't get in the way at all.
Just my ramblings ...

Little 2000 TJ ... itching to grow
Old 08-03-2001, 06:13 PM

That Stu guy, out wheeling the rubicon when you need him most.

Well, I have uniden at home. And a Midland in the Jeep. My midland has weather, though it hasn't worked lately. And it has SWR of like 3, but everyone hears me great, and I can hear everyone well, so you know.. ah.. it works. Can't say any more or less.

R/
William
Old 08-03-2001, 07:32 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Sorry for the delay....been packing up the TJ for tomorrow's vacation start!

Radios....did someone say radios?

This is the latest "radio group" that live in the TJ.

I would recommend getting both a nice CB (you sound like a techie kind of guy, DC) and a FRS too. Both can be had for a pretty nice price.

Believe it or not, I did a night run about 3 weeks ago with some of the local folks. EVERYONE was on FRS....it worked great, since one of the guys didn't have any radio and he borrowed a spare that another guy always carries. I was in my favorite camping store the other day and was amazed at the FRS display they had.....bunches and bunches of them.

If I were to get a new FRS, I would get one that had rechargeable batteries in it and could be recharged in the vehicle. I am sure it would cost a bit more, but to me, that would be an important feature. I am not crazy about feeding AA cells to the FRS gods!

http://www.stu-offroad.com
Old 08-03-2001, 08:01 PM
Reggae

I have a couple of my brother’s Icom IC-4008A FRS units in the glove box. We use them mostly to keep communications on feet; they work very well up to 2 miles or so. For jeep-to-jeep radio communications I almost exclusively use Galaxy DX 959 it is a sweet CB, with all good communication features without fluff. I always hear more things on the CB than everyone else in the group. And, Galaxy is upgradable, if needed. The only complaint I have is that the microphone connector is on the side. It would be much easier to mount the radio with the mic. connector on the front or back panel.

Stu, nice set of radios! Is that a 2x4 holding them in place?

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 08-03-2001, 10:56 PM

Thank You

Thanks much to everyone for the great information. It sounds like the best answer is ... buy both a CB and FRS radios! That's the approach I like ... just go whole hog.

As far as Stu's awesome set-up ... I think TO is right ... that sure looks like a 2x4 painted black to me.

Finally, I guess no one was up to addressing my intergalactic communication needs ... since my home-based VLA is too large for my TJ, perhaps I will need to scale it down to a ESA (extremely small array). By the way, any suggestions on where I can pick one of these babies up? (And don't forget the terawatt power supply ... hmmm ... in addition to the juiced-up alternator, will I need two or perhaps three Optima's to go with that? And Stu, what wire gauge should I use with that set-up?).

Don