Go Back   JeepBBS > What Where When > Overlanders Unlimited

Overlanders Unlimited This is a forum to discuss expedition vehicles and trailer options, a place to talk about builds, modifications, and designs, as well as past and future adventure trips.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-29-2011, 08:42 AM

Neat Little Jeep Pop-Up Camper

While it wouldn't be for everyone and might be a bit cramped on space and amenities (as compared to a full-size truck & truck camper rig), the AEV Jeep Brute and custom Four Wheel Camper pop-up is a pretty sweet combo for capable off-road travel and camping. Here are some pics:

Old 01-31-2011, 10:15 AM
Reggae

Sweet, I want one. How does the mom's attic handle the weight without any kind of visible supports?

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 01-31-2011, 11:30 AM

I have an Outfitter Apex 8 pop-up truck camper, and like many pop-ups, it has a system of pivoting/articulating pipes (some with internal torsion bars) that assist with raising and lowering the top (usually by way of a hand crank, but there is the option for an electric motor). This is particularly needed when you have an A/C unit, solar panels, etc. mounted on the roof, which can make for a pretty heavy roof.

In the case of the Four Wheel Camper unit, there isn't much on top of the roof except for the air vent and some interior light assemblies, so the roof should be fairly light in comparison to a loaded-up and full-size pop-up camper. That said, while I don't have any direct experience with Four Wheel Campers, I am aware that they have a very simple and workable approach. After you unclamp some preliminary items, you simply raise the rear end of the roof by hand using the push bar, which deploys the rear lift panels. You lock this assembly into place and it basically creates a sheer wall that fully supports the roof in the up position. You then repeat the same process for the front lift panel (which you can see in the two interior shots). I also understand that they have some sort of "lift assist" (which I think is something along the lines of gas props), in case you have lower back problems or limited upper body strength issues.

If I was younger, didn't already have my Dodge 3500/Outfitter rig (and had the discretionary money available), the Brute/Four Wheel Camper rig would be high on my list. Although, to haul around the extra weight, I would really recommend going with AEV's swapped-in HEMI 5.7L V8 in the Brute (after all, it's only money).
Old 01-31-2011, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TObject View Post
Sweet, I want one. How does the mom's attic handle the weight without any kind of visible supports?
I've had a chance to check out a few Four Wheel Campers (although not this one - that's a sweet setup!). I don't know what kind of internal bracing/frame they use for the upper bed area, but they seemed pretty solid and well built. For a basic folding truck camper they seem to be one of the higher quality ones out there.

I had an older Palomino pop-up truck camper, and even as cheaply as it was made I never had any concerns with the strength of the overhead bed - there just isn't enough room up there for a very large person/couple, and any "activities" would be pretty limited for most normal people.

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 02-09-2011, 04:17 PM

I have the Four Wheel Hawk model on my F150 and love it. I have since gone to a Ram 2500 and it fits that truck as well. On my Hawk unit part of the bed slides out and goes over the sink (stove and sink swiched on this jeep unit) and you use the seat cusions to make the bed larger. Its actually a queen size bed. I am just over 200 lbs and share the bed with my wife, it's plenty strong. If you look at the picture you can see the support part over the sink/stove. A board slides out from under the bed on this rail and the 4 cusions will complete the bed. The guy laying on the bed does not have it extended. The frame material on these campers is aluminum. No particle board used for structural support. If you are looking for a light weight pop up these units are great. Sticker price for a loaded unit is 15K. I looked around and found mine used and in good shape for 5K. As mention the roof is manually pushed up. I also have a solar panel on mine.

zman
Old 02-10-2011, 10:21 PM

The pop-up camper on the Brute is based on Four Wheel's Finch model (which was customized to fit the smaller bed).

I don't know what the camper cost, but between that and the Brute (especially if you went with the 5.7L HEMI V8), you would definitely be talking a major chunk of change ... but it would be sweet.