Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 06-20-2001, 02:40 PM
Banned

Control Arms

I’ve got a friend that wants opinions on control arms. He’s thinking Currie, Tera, RE. They don’t have to be adjustable, as long as they work with 3” of lift.

Opinions? Pros/Cons. He’d probably spend more money for something if it really is a better product.

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom
Old 06-20-2001, 02:56 PM

They all have their pluses and minuses although Blaine will probably never speak to you again if you recommend Tera arms to "your friend" Unless you go to a full heim joint custom arm and spend some serious dollars, he basically will not go wrong with any of those arms which all pretty much cost about the same.

98 TJ Sport
D44ARB/D30Detroit/Teralow/Swampers
www.geocities.com/yatezess/
Old 06-20-2001, 03:00 PM
Banned

Yeah I’m pretty much set on Tera myself, but this friend of mine wants to know about other brands

I told him, “Hey Teras in Utah or some sh*t, so they gotta be good. That’s where they wheel Moab.” I thought that would be good enough. He still wants to know about the others.

BTW, anyone taking me serious about the Tera stuff, just kidding. I’m getting some RE arms next month, if I can find a good buy on them (money’s tight but I NEED some adj lowers to adj my pinion angle).

Old 06-25-2001, 06:46 PM

Maybe this will help you make a decision, I did a poll on arms and wheeling conditions and here's what I found....

If you live in drier conditions with more high articulation situations (no mud, lots of rocks) the RE & Currie style of arm seems to make thier owners happy. Add mud or wet/salty road conditions and thier owners cuss the things.

The Tera bushing style puts a little more stress on the axle mounts (but I have heard of NO failures) in continuous high articulation situations. But in the mud, wet gritty roads, etc. the poly bushings are easily cleaned out with a couple shots of grease. I have heard of few owners not happy with them.

The RE style transmits more road vibration to the vehicle, this seems to be something everyone agrees on.

I have little info on the Skyjacker arms in any muddy situations (ie. life expectancy), but in the dry conditions, the owners seem to love them in hard core wheeling. I'm sure they would transmit more road vibs to the vehicle than Tera's, but would probably be close to the RE style.

HTH you make a decision.

2000 TJ 4.0L, A/T, all factory options.
Jeep Rater Score 360
http://www.hellbender.rockcrawler.com/
NRA Lifetime Member

NRA Lifetime Member
Old 06-25-2001, 09:56 PM
Banned

Thanks HB.

Old 06-25-2001, 09:57 PM
Banned

Where to buy ?

Suggestions on place to buy RE arms?

Old 06-26-2001, 06:56 AM

Bob Suplie or something like that sells them at the catolog price and that includes shipping there is also a guy Mike that runs a little business here in SOCAL that had good prices. his mail is PAPROMIKE@aol.com.

a little TJ with a few mods check her out at www.real-jeeps.com
Old 06-26-2001, 05:20 PM

Bob Supplee is had to beat and a really good guy, I call him first on everything. 405-799-8977

2000 TJ 4.0L, A/T, all factory options.
Jeep Rater Score 360
http://www.hellbender.rockcrawler.com/
NRA Lifetime Member

NRA Lifetime Member
Old 06-27-2001, 05:11 AM
Banned

Ace,

I agree with HB on the road vibration. I did not notice it too much when I had the short arm 4.5, but on the long arm I do. I think it's because they went with cartridge joints at both ends on the rear uppers.

Out of all that I've seen (have seen and ridden the RE, Tera, Sky, don't have any experience with the currie) RE seems to hold up the best in dry and wet mud. Mind you, I did not say that none will every tweak or brake. I've had them in mud and they are fine. Just wash them off a bit at the end of the trip. The only time I grease the cartridge joints is when I'm adjusting the race which is not that often.

To those with Tera and Skyjacker. Sorry guys but I personally have seen and fixed torn brackets caused by these arms. If I had to buy an arm of the shelf it would be RE.

Btw, a good Jeep friend that lives in Montana, with initials of BJ, that has excellent resources and knowledge, is building me some custom lower rear arms. I'm sure he or I will take some pics. Hopefully I will have these custom arms by the end of next year

Jim B.

97TJ El Niño, Mods listed on Web Site.
JJB@worldoversea.com
http://www.jeep.worldoversea.com
Jeep Rater Score: 42
Old 06-27-2001, 06:32 AM
Administrator

I know for a fact that you will get your arms just after Kat's jeep is rolling.

It is not who you know, It is who knows you

Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps.
Old 06-27-2001, 07:17 AM
Banned

Blaine,
You better get Kat's Jeep rolling first or you know what will happen. I know I would.

Btw, how is it that you know this guy in Montana?

Jim B.

JJB@worldoversea.com
Old 06-27-2001, 07:19 AM

Thanks for all the responses! ! !
Old 06-27-2001, 10:11 PM

Welcome Jim B.

Hi Jim B., I don't believe that I properly welcomed you to the board. Glad to have you here. Hope all is well with the family.

JeepKat
Old 06-28-2001, 06:11 AM
Banned

Thank you Kat, family is well. I've been reading how all of you are going out this weekend. This sounds very depressing to me as I wish I could be there with all of you.

I see your ride is really coming along with the help of a few coconut heads. Do me a favor show them all off this weekend so they can all be wearing skirts on Monday, let me know if I should get mine also

Jim B.

JJB@worldoversea.com
Old 06-28-2001, 08:21 PM

YOUR SUPPOSE TO SIGN IN AT THE INTRODUCTION SECTION!!!

Just bustin' yer balls Jim,
Glad to see you here! Just got back from Colorado and Moab. Did Potatoe Salad first try! Also had to do Escalator again. Easier this time. Figured out small track TJs like mine have to hit it just right and go up on the rear sidewalls BOTH SIDES!
Had a ball except for loosing a u-joint on front axle on Holly Cross trail in Colorado.
Gotta go and call Yates to let him know I'm going to Big Bear...........
Say Hi to Dolly,
Ron
BTW, we're house hunting in Moab and will be moving as soon as we find one there, actuall I think we found one all ready with a 1200 sq ft Butler building shop/garage/woodshop/Jeepshop/ Home for me
Old 06-28-2001, 08:54 PM
Administrator

You better hurry before all the good campsites are gone. Bring bacon.

It is not who you know, It is who knows you

Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps.
Old 06-29-2001, 03:50 AM
Banned

Ron,

Always good to hear from you. Thank you for busting my balls, I always look forward to this.

Good show on Potato and Escalator.

Hurry up and jump on that Moab house. I might just drive up and leave the TJ in the wheeling season at your place and fly in once a month.

Hollycross is a fantastic trail, I did it about 3 years back. Did you go all the way to the top or did you stop at the fort? I also enjoyed the creek crossing. At what part did you loose your ujoint? Did you go to Independence?

I'm getting real sick and tired of corresponding with you retired guys. I hope your planning that Oct trip.

Jim B.

JJB@worldoversea.com