Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 08-21-2001, 10:49 AM
Banned

Torque Jacking ?

A friend of a friend has a problem with this (she's running some tougher trails now and is having this happen more routinely). Is the Currie Anti-Rock the cure? Is there anything else out there that cures this problem?

She's asking what it does and how. She thought it was a sway bar that disconnected in the middle rather than the "end links". I don't have one so I can't answer to that. Can someone explain it so I can pass it on?

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom
Old 08-21-2001, 11:26 AM
Reggae

No, Antirock does not disconnect in the middle. ADDCO makes a sway bar that disconnects on one side (by air, with in-cab controller). I don’t know of any sway bars that disconnect in the middle.

Here is some info from about a year back:
Off – road flexibility / On –road stability

In keeping with ADDCO’s tradition of quality and cutting edge technology we are introducing a revolutionary new product geared to the serious off-roader who also insists on highway stability. Beginning in early 2000 our new “ in cab “ disconnecting all terrain anti-sway bar (ATB) will be available. As you may have seen in 4 Wheel Drive Magazine this new sway bar stands alone in the industry. There are other disconnecting bars, but none with the convenience of in cab operation. It can even be disconnected when the vehicle is in motion.
With the ATB engaged, vehicle sway, body roll, plowing, and rear-end steering are virtually eliminated. Other benefits include reduced steering effort, enhanced safety in passing\emergency maneuvers and flattened cornering. For off-road adventures the driver need only to flip the switch to the off-bar position and the full compliance of the vehicles suspension is available for the most rugged trails.
ATB bars come with all parts and hardware needed for installation using your existing ARB compressor (not included). The front end bars are available now for Jeep TJ’s 1997 and newer. The rear bar should be ready for production by early 2001. Other applications are soon to be available.
To order contact Dan Osborne at ADDCO Mfg. 1596 Linville Falls Hwy. Linville, NC. 28646 Phone: 828-733-1560 Fax: 828-733-1562. Pricing for front end bars on 97 and up TJ’s is as follows:

1-9 units…………$578.34 each
10-99 units……….$459.99 each
100+ units ………$ 340.39 each

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 08-21-2001, 11:32 AM
Reggae

You may try to find more info on ADDCO web site:
http://www.addco.net/atb/in-cab_anti..._descript.html

Old 08-21-2001, 11:44 AM
Banned

And it helps with preventing "wheelies"?

Old 08-21-2001, 12:00 PM
Reggae

Probably not… I wouldn’t think so. What is “wheelies” anyway?

Old 08-21-2001, 12:24 PM
Banned

When you get one or more front tires to come up off the ground. Didn't you ever ride a bicycle as a kid .

Old 08-21-2001, 12:35 PM
Reggae

When I was a kid we called the process of lifting the front tire off the ground “to rear”.

Does she get her tires off the ground doing what? Climbing hills? Going straight on flat ground? Left tire only?

Old 08-21-2001, 12:43 PM
Banned

She had the left tire come up going around a corner on the street at least once if not more. She then went on a week-long (or so) four wheeling trip. When her friends got her on the rocks and more difficult sections than she was used to she'd get the Jeep "to rear" up hill and over rocky/off camber sections. I believe it's only the left front tire. From what I've read this is somewhat typical or normal, and I thought I'd read it was somewhat the point of the Anti-Rock to prevent this.

Old 08-21-2001, 12:53 PM

have her check the rear shocks if I set my rancho 9000's on number 1 I can lift the front drivers tire while turning. Also if the rear shocks are soft you can lift the front while going up hill. The other thing to look at is the rear sway bar links it can cause the same problems.

a little TJ with a few mods check her out at www.real-jeeps.com
Old 08-21-2001, 01:44 PM
Reggae

If she drives a TJ, Antirock should significantly reduce lifting of the left front tire while making left turns around a corner on the street. If she has an automatic locker in the rear, something that can be switched to the open diff mode should help as well.

Old 08-21-2001, 07:04 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Scott,

I had the same problem during the Moab JU run this spring. The root cause of my problem was a weak right rear spring.

Don't get me wrong....you can lift the left front tire with perfectly good springs on all four corners. However....I was doing it way too frequently on that trip. As a temp fix, I swapped the rear springs side to side and it improved the situation enough that I could finish the remainder of the trip and still stay on the difficult trails.

Prior to swapping the springs, I was, under the right circumstances (up hill climb, slight off-cabmer to the right, etc.), carrying my left front tire for periods of up to 50', sometimes more. It got rave reviews from many of the Jeepers that were running with me. For me, the pucker factor was getting too high, too often!

After I got home, Procomp waranteed me a new set of springs (they were only a month old) and things are again back to normal.

http://www.stu-offroad.com
Old 08-21-2001, 07:50 PM

Torque jacking is a combo problem between short arms, tall lifts and track bars (full autolockers make it unbearable).

Basically, when you give the truck gas, the torque of the driveshaft levers the right rear corner down over top the steep control and the track bar.

The anti rock doesn't fix torque jacking.. its just a lighter sway bar, keeping the front tires on the ground. The only way to get rid of it is to lengthen the control arm. Or get leafs (think Brad Kilby) Torque jacking is ENTIRELY the reason for long arm lifts. It is why I run the RE kit.

Tightey Whitey World
Old 08-22-2001, 06:49 AM

I have 4 1/2" RE springs, RE short control arms, Rancho 9000 shocks and I have no torque lift. I have the usual rear Detroit steering maladys but would consider lifting a front tire on the street as a major fault somewhere in the set up. As Stu said, I would look at the rear springs.
Ron
Old 08-22-2001, 07:08 AM
Reggae

TJRON do you have your front and rear sway bars stock and connected?

Old 08-22-2001, 07:12 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TJRON:
I have 4 1/2" RE springs, RE short control arms, Rancho 9000 shocks and I have no torque lift. I have the usual rear Detroit steering maladys but would consider lifting a front tire on the street as a major fault somewhere in the set up. As Stu said, I would look at the rear springs.
Ron[/quote]

Ron, I believe that you and I EXIST to argue...

I didn't really notice the torque jacking til I added the 35s. Something about a raised center of gravity and larger tires REALLY made it unbearable.

Tightey Whitey World
Old 08-22-2001, 07:22 AM
Banned

It seems that the torque jacking would cause the rear spring sag, that the same thing that lifts the front tire would put stress on the opposite rear spring. Also, it seems rather common (I've read about it happening a lot), and that the rear spring is being stressed in most situations, not that everyone is ending up putting a weaker spring on that side causing the lifted tire. I think the lifted tire and sagging spring are caused by the same thing in most cases (obviously Stu's situation is different, in that he got a bad spring).

Is the Anti-Rock in any way different in design to the stock sway bar, or just lighter?

Old 08-22-2001, 09:58 AM

Seth,
One of the reasons I come here is to discuss/argue/teach/learn/share and call each other names!
I run 33's, keep the rear sway on and don't always hook up the front when I should. Maybe my Jeep doesn't qualify for tire lifting. Happy me!
Ron
Old 08-22-2001, 10:13 AM
Reggae

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TJRON:
...and don't always hook up the front when I should...[/quote]

That’s why you don’t lift the tire, you dummy!

Go connect the front sway bar, turn the steering wheel all the way to the left, and floor it from stop (make sure your seatbelt is on).

Old 08-22-2001, 11:33 AM

Floor it? ****, back in the old days... pre RE long arm, all I needed was a nice squirt of gas making a left hand turn at a traffic light and I could pick it up 2'.

Now? Impossible.

Tightey Whitey World
Old 08-22-2001, 12:57 PM

The name calling part.........

You guys must drive like morons.
I would never punch it at a stop sign, or light, with full air, connected, or any other way, schit man, it's a Jeep. With my detroit, God only knows what would happen or where I would end up.
Kids, jeeesopeeetsoo.......
Old Fart,
Ron