Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 08-22-2001, 10:08 AM
Banned

Odd Start Up Noise

I've got an odd noise at start up in my 2001 4.0L XJ with 13k miles. It sounds to me like valves/lifters, but deeper. It's somewhat of a dieseling sound maybe, sort of rattling but not "tinny". It goes away though after I start driving. If I sit in the driveway idling it doesn't go away for any amount of time I've been willing to wait before going to work. If the motor is warm it doesn't do it.

It seems to me it could be that the oil hasn't circulated, or the lifters (valves) may need attention? Also, I haven't heard of the 2001 XJ having manifold issues, and never had the TJ cracked manifold issue, so I wonder how the cracked manifold sounds? Would that be something I could see, the cracks? Would a warm engine allow for the manifold to expand and as such to not make that noise?

I know that's pretty a broad description, but any ideas? My '98 TJ with same engine does not do this in the least.

Thanks.

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom
Old 08-22-2001, 10:40 AM

My Jeep has a sound that used to just drive me crazy. I think it is what you're describing. My son listened and said they all do that. I guess I got used to it 'cause I don't hear it any more.
Ron
Old 08-22-2001, 12:42 PM
Banned

I might figure it's a "Jeep Thing" except my other Jeep doesn't do it. Hmm, maybe my TJ is missing the Jeep sound

Old 08-22-2001, 01:01 PM

I haven't heard of XJ's having the cracked manifold problem but that could certainly be a source but only having 13k on the Jeep makes me doubt that. A muffler shop with a shop stethescope could pin that down real quick for you. Could also be the cat but only 13k - seems again rather unlikely. I have heard of older 4.0L motors having valve slop and there was a pretty decent recall on them for it but that was several years ago.

FWIW, I did have an 85 Mustang GT (first year with the 302 and the roller cam/lifter set-up) that had a bad case of valve float which Ford never would acknowledge. Since then lemon laws have become more strict so I would keep taking it in and have the dealer keep telling you nothing is wrong. Sooner or later it will become more evident and you will be documented.

BTW, your ZJ tie rod is all painted, has new boots and will go out by UPS tomorrow - I'll let you know what the shipping cost is after I send it - thanx.

98 TJ Sport
D44ARB/D30Detroit/Teralow/Swampers
www.geocities.com/yatezess/
Old 08-22-2001, 01:11 PM
Banned

Thanks for the input. You know I bashed the underside real good a couple weeks ago, and you talking about the cat reminded me of it. I'll take it by a muffler shop (there are tons of them around here).

Painted, new boots? Wow, that's classy! Thanks, you didn't have to go to all the trouble. Just so I know the difference between mailing something "in town" (I took your check into Ashland) and going through my own post office (I live in a much smaller town of ~5000), did you get the check yet?

Thanks again.

Old 08-22-2001, 01:24 PM

Got the check - thanx. The Currie set-up came with 2 sets of boots so that was no problem and the paint can was out so that was no problem either - shiny Fetish Jeep Guy was giving me a hand installing the new steering

98 TJ Sport
D44ARB/D30Detroit/Teralow/Swampers
www.geocities.com/yatezess/