Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 08-22-2001, 07:06 AM
Reggae

Stinky Lorry

My mom is buying a new unit of transportation. She is pretty much set on a new Nissan Sentra, but I talked her into going to a Chevy dealer and giving a 2500HD a try.

How is that for cross shopping?

So, we are going to take a look at the beast tonight. Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel and Allison 1000 5-Speed Automatic Transmission is what I am after. What other options should I look at? Cab style? Regular Bed over Long Bed? Towing packages?

I am not sure if Duramax and Allison are available with California Emissions...

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 08-22-2001, 07:50 AM

My husband has a 2001 2500HD, 4x4, not the diesel though. It's a very nice truck. He got the regular cab, long bed as he uses it for a work truck. Very sturdy truck, he is happy with the purchase. It has been back to the dealership a couple of times for "gremlin" like stuff. The only thing I wish he would have gotten that he didn't is the swing down armrest thing in the middle of the seat.

Little 2000 TJ ... itching to grow
Old 08-22-2001, 07:54 AM
Reggae

Thanks for info Amy!

How many people can you seat in a regular cab?

Old 08-22-2001, 08:41 AM

three, legally and comfortably. We have been known to squeeze all four of us in(two adults with big butts, 15 yr old daughter and 8 year old son), it is bearable, but not exactly legal.
long story long, my husband had an F350 quad cab prior to this truck .. tv, vcr, the whole nine. Perfect family wagon. I had suffered with the family vehicle for years, and when I went to buy my Jeep, my reasoning was, he has the truck, I can get a not so practical for the family vehicle. Well, he rolled the Ford and for some stupid reason, replaced it with this regular cab truck, so we have no real family vehicle. Hence, the group cram every now and then.

Old 08-22-2001, 09:01 AM
Reggae

Good. Thanks for info! I think I we will be looking at the extended cab.
I heard that people who order diesels have to wait up to 8 month to get it. Anyone knows anything about it. And, carsdirect.com says that diesels are unavailable at the time. What’s up with that?

Old 08-22-2001, 09:54 AM

Nice twisting of your mothers arm there Sergey But I have to ask AmyTJ - how does one roll a F350 quadcab truck? I hope that there were no major injuries - that is alot of truck to turn over.

98 TJ Sport
D44ARB/D30Detroit/Teralow/Swampers
www.geocities.com/yatezess/
Old 08-22-2001, 01:01 PM

If it can be broken, my husband has done it Needless to say, that is why he RARELY gets to drive my Jeep. Picture this, ice and a little excessive speed, need I say more? The rear tire got off onto the shoulder and he just lost it, couple of donuts later, rolled down a pretty good sized embankment, landed upright. Not a scratch on the hubby, can't say so much for the truck, it was totalled.

Old 08-22-2001, 01:12 PM

Well, I am glad he is ok but that sure had to be a PITA. I started looking at your place of origin after I wrote the response and that led me to think that weather was involved.

98 TJ Sport
D44ARB/D30Detroit/Teralow/Swampers
www.geocities.com/yatezess/
Old 08-22-2001, 03:58 PM

More than you'll ever want to know about durocrap
http://thedieselpage.com/

Check out the real trucks at
http://turbodieselregister.com/

You should check out the Powerjokes also!

Old 08-22-2001, 04:01 PM
Banned

Why stroke it when you can ram it.

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom
Old 08-22-2001, 06:34 PM
Reggae

Review

I test-drove a 2500HD with Duramax and Allison today. Let me tell you – it’s one sweet truck! After jeep it felt like I was driving a sports car. Never mind the size – it’s tight and maneuverable. The Allison 1000 is surprisingly responsive for such a heavy-duty unit. It doesn’t have that “press gas pedal and wait for a couple of seconds” feel many automatics have. It is actually very close to the feel of the TJ automatic transmission.

The truck I drove had On-Star, Lather and other bells and whistles with the stickler price around 38 grand. It was an extended cab – it’s ok, it’s not cramped – the rear bench seat can be folded – I liked that. I think a good configuration can be had for 30 grand or so. The sales guy said, that custom ordering one would take 8 months to a year, but I do not necessarily believe him.

The engine is very quiet and nothing stinks in the cab with windows up or down.

My mom liked the truck, but would prefer a small car for every day driving, especially on the parking lots. She tried Sentra, Prizm, Civic and Lancer, and I think she wants to go with Sentra. Looks like we will not get the truck. Oh well.

Old 08-22-2001, 08:31 PM
Reggae

Oh yes, about power stroke and ram comments, you guys all smoke crack cocaine. There is just nothing to compare Duramax and Allison to yet. General Motors leap forged everyone else in the Heavy Duty diesel pickup segment, it is now time for Ford and Chrysler to play catch up.

Old 08-25-2001, 06:27 PM
Reggae

My Mom Bought A Rally Car

My mom just got back from the dealer; she paid $18,026.95 for a new 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer LS including tax, registration and all real and phony fees.

Even though I wanted my mom to buy a diesel truck, so that I could borrow it for weekends, she made a good choice. Lancer is a very sweet car. She was comparing it to Sentra, Chevy 2500HD, Altima, Impreza, Prizm, Civic, Elantra and Saturn she test-drove every one of those (some several times), and Lancer was the thing.

Old 08-26-2001, 09:56 PM

What color?

Bright Red? Is your mom a fast driver? I had a bright red Rodeo once, I loaned it to Blaine and the first thing he did was get a ticket!

Congrates to your mom , buying a new car is not an easy decision.
Old 08-26-2001, 10:16 PM
Reggae

It’s white! Some pearly kind of white...
Yeah, it was pretty cool, we went to one dealer like, “We want to see a Lancer”. They were like, “You want to see what? Oh, we don’t have any of those yet.” The car is so new to America; the full scale advertising campaign is not starting until Labor Day. Mitsubishi had very good results in rallies with this car (different engine of cause, but same car). My mom is not really a speed freak, and this auto will not receive any of K&N stuff or modified exhaust systems. It’s powerful enough and handles very well on and off freeway, it feels very good in corners. I doubt my mom will race it or anything, but this is definitely not a low rider.

Old 08-26-2001, 11:21 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

I haven't heard of this car but checked out the webpage and it looks like a nice ride. While there I entered into their car giveaway (junk mail list). Is Mitsubishi still offering 0% financing or something like that? I think I need a truck a bit more but a commuter vehicle like that is tempting.

Jeff
Old 08-27-2001, 01:03 PM
Reggae

As far as I know, in San Diego at least, there are no customer incentives, dealer cash, special lease rates or dealer holdback available for Lancer. If you really want to buy one, wait a little for dealerships to fill and for special promotions to kick in. Right now only a hand full of dealerships have them, and the asking price is very high. The best I could negotiate for was MSRP. You can buy an Altima for less than that.

What makes Lancer stand out is it’s Rally heritage, Interior quality (dashboard made out of three different plastics with attractive texture, seat material looks and feels very good), and road handling manners. The 2 Liter engine is not a rocket but it is adequate and not noisy. The advertised fuel economy is so so (we haven’t got the actual figures yet, since my mom is on the original tank of gas). Ride quality is very good.

Check out this article on Edmunds:
http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadt...5/article.html