Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 08-21-2001, 06:21 PM

Do we hate the new BFGs?

I was talking to a tire dealer in Moab as I need tires badly. He had a set of Goodyears but his price was a bit high with no guarantee like Discount has. Anyhow he's a BFG dealer and carrys some Goodyears cause folks want them and he knows they are better than the old BFGs.
When I started telling him about folks bad mouthing BFGs on the internet, he got very agitated. He said BFG can't figure out the bad rap on their new tire when they just came out and no one had used them? He claims they are 3 ply, have more side rubber than GoodYears, have a stickier compound and folks should give them a chance before putting them down. I told him of Blaine's experiences doing the same trails with very different results. Old tire, says he. He actually offered to let me run a set in Moab for a day if I would come in at 9:00 to talk to the factory guy who had a trailer load of tires mounted. I had to pass this up as our group was going out early and I knew if I were to buy a set, it wouldn't be from him as his prices are too high.
Any how, how do we know the new BFGs won't hold up to the GoodYears? Who has run them?
Ro
Old 08-21-2001, 06:40 PM

I'm with the dealer.. ain't nothing wrong with the new BFG til there's proof. Lord knows the original Goodyear MT sucked...

Tightey Whitey World
Old 08-21-2001, 07:02 PM
Banned

Well, I'm kicking around the 33" or 35" decision around. If I go 33", then it'll be in 10.5" width, and the BFG is the only thing going that I know of. If I go 35" it'll be 12.5" width.

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom
Old 08-21-2001, 07:03 PM

Let the Chips Fall Where They Will ...

Ron,

I can't speak directly to the new BFG MT's, because I haven't even seen a set up close, far less run them. But I will say this, Chip Brox (of Chip's Grand Tire in Moab), is pretty much of a rabid BFG supporter over all other tires. When I was in the market for Good Year MT/R's last fall, he rolled one out for me and then proceeded to bad mouth it in almost every technical aspect against the old style BFG MT's. He is actually not supposed to even carry the GY's, since he is a BFG dealer (but as you indicated, there is a demand for them in Moab, so he stocks a few on the QT). However, as you noticed, his prices are not good.

Anyway, after he totally dropped the ball and blew a rather expensive purchase of my M/T Challenger wheels (all the while BS'ing me about it), followed by him stiffing me on a promised deal to buy my stock tires and rims, Chip is definitely not on my favorite tire dealer's list (which in Moab, is a pretty short list). Also, as I understand it, the Moab Visitor Information Center is also no longer recommending him for out-of-town folks in need of tire repairs (they send them instead down to the Big-O), because of some of his on-going shenanigans. Maybe the new BFG MT's are not as bad as the recent Internet gab would indicate, but I don't think Chip as a BFG dealer, or as a person, is going to be your best bet for an unbiased source of info or recommendations on the subject. He talks a good game, but I don't personally like his style. Just one person's opinion who has had some past dealings with him.

YMMV,
Don

P.S. As I think I mentioned to you when we met-up in Moab, I was a user of BFG MT's for many years, and I think they are a great tire. I just feel that the GY MT/R's are a better and stronger all-around on- and off-road tire than the "old" BFG MT's. If it turns out that the new version BFG MT's are a better tire than the MT/R's, that's fine, and I'll consider getting a set when my MT/R's bite the dust. However, even though I have nothing tangible to base it on, my gut is telling me that I doubt that is going to be the case. But we'll see.
£
Old 08-21-2001, 08:21 PM
Administrator

OK Ron, I am going to have to come to Vegas and hunt you down. What is your fascination with BFG?

If you like the old one you will not hate the new one. It is the same tire with a few little window dressings on the sidewall.

I will guarantee that they are not BFG's new rock tire. I have it from a very reliable source who is working on the new rock tire from BFG, that the new MT is for all intents and purposes, the same tire.

It is not who you know, It is who knows you
Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps.
Old 08-21-2001, 10:48 PM

DC,
Actually Chip did not try to BS me. I never gave him a chance. He wanted me to come back and talk to the rep as Chip said he knew "rock talk buzz words and I'm over my head talking to you guys". I read their brochure and it claimed a stickier tire.
Blaine,
Your endorsement and experience in JV are solid proof the GY beats the old BFG and probably the new one as well. I'm looking at a $35 per tire difference and a spouse that is not happy I scuffed two new tires into oblivion. It's hard to convince her Jeep tires are suppose to last a while!

Ro
Old 08-22-2001, 02:57 AM

Well, I can vouch for the Big O dealer in Moab as for being a stand up operation. Last year while traveling through to Monument Valley, my Jeep trailer picked up a large screw on the road, about 25 miles from Moab. Filled the leak a couple of times from OBA and got in town. Left the truck, trailer, Jeep there and went to lunch; got back and it was fixed-"free of charge"! I do run Big O's on the truck and at that time, the Jeep but not the trailer. Just my experience and I liked it!