Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 08-14-2001, 11:44 AM

See you working stiffs later! Bwaahahaha!

I'm off to Moab and then Colorado then back to Moab. May be back in a few weeks (maybe, maybe not). Might touch bases at the Library. I know you'll miss me. Hahahaha!
Later,
Ron
Old 08-14-2001, 01:01 PM
Administrator

I am not speaking to you.

It is not who you know, It is who knows you
Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps.
Old 08-14-2001, 01:44 PM

I want to know what's up with these people getting cool Jeep mods and toys and not working.

I work my can off and.. I well, I don't have all those toys.

Protest!

R/
William Karstens
Old 08-14-2001, 02:04 PM

William,

12 more years and a penssion and the you will get your chance

a little TJ with a few mods check her out at www.real-jeeps.com
Old 08-14-2001, 02:46 PM

Scott,

It would seem so easy. Under current retirement system, I either pick 30 thousand at 15 year mark and 40% retirement.. Or I can go for 50%. Now, if I get 50%, it's not really all that. It's only 50% of base pay, not housing allowances, or food money, etc. So, for an E6 that has been in over 18 years (assuming I was about to retire today), 2,367.90 (per month). (All this info is on www.dfas.mil). So, before taxes, I'd get 1100, per month, for the rest of my life. But, subtract taxes, as well as SBP (pay protection should I die, so that my wife would get 50% of the original 50%). And my retirement pay would be.. closer to 775 per month. Now, of course, with time, that goes up, but it's only based upon COLA adjustments... But that's about what I'd be looking at. Now, that doesn't current pay my rent, much less what my house payment would be. It could pay.. not much.

But, I'm not in it for the money... So I guess I shouldn't complain about you guys and all the money you make..

R/
William Karstens
Old 08-14-2001, 04:26 PM

I guess it is time to take more tests. then with pension and the $12.50 from SS you might be able to put gas in the Jeep to go on a run.

Sorry I didnt know this was a sore point, look at the bright side you got work for the next 2 years and I am trying to get a second part time job.

Old 08-14-2001, 05:59 PM

No sore point Scott

Like I said if I was in it for the money.. I'd be doing something else. But I"m not poor, I can eat, and I (well as of tommorrow) have my own house so I think that all things considered, I'd be doing wrong to complain.

The pension? Hey, it beats a poke in the eye with a short stick, and it comes with lifetime medical care for me and the spouse.. soo.. You know.. it's not all so bad.

I just wish I had more time to wrench and wheel.

R/
William
Old 08-14-2001, 06:17 PM

Just think retire age 38+, get 1200(gross) a month till death lets assume age 70. 14,400 a year, 32 years till death 460,800. Not bad, I recently returned to civilian life after a 20 year absence, and have a good income from my second career, but enjoy the beginning of the month when the check from Cleveland hits the bank, that career allowed me the opportunities to see places that others will not, instilled work habits and experiences which are a valuable asset to any company. Not only that but allowed me the chance to get an education (Class 2000) with out undo hardship(GI Bill) on my family. No I don’t have a locker (yet) but I do have those intangibles that service to our country has given me. The other things will come when the time is right.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you are the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying.
[/quote]
Old 08-14-2001, 06:22 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by William...:

Hey, it beats a poke in the eye with a short stick,

William[/quote]

A short stick, as opposed to a sharp stick!

When I grow up I want to be retired.
Old 08-14-2001, 06:32 PM

I wanted to retire now but these damn people keep sending me bills.

William,
I thought it may be a sore point cause I didnt expect any responce then I got half a page this from someone who cant write a Moab report

Old 08-14-2001, 07:17 PM

JeepKat,

This coming from the guy who spelled your name just about anyway possible.. But here comes lame spelling excuse #34. Short stick as opposed to sharp stick cause the sharp stick would hurt and all that and I"m not into poking my self with sharp sticks.. yeah.. that's it.

Lex,

Who did you spend your 20 with? I can't complain about that either, California, Washington State, Iceland, and then.. San Diego. It got me in to the clutches of these Jeepers so.. you know..

Scott,

Hmmm.. Moab trip report: I wrote like 3 versions and hated them all. I have a note book that I kept a Jeep Journal with so that I could write a write up for you too... Between the massive infection and my ability to get convinced that I have to much to doo.. I didn't do it. As for the test.. well, I'm skipping this one in January (because there's a special reason to take it early, and I'm not going for that special reason). But I'm working on being the "best" of the group so I stand better chances. The next advancement is MUCH more difficult.

And all,

Please forgive my ramblings about pay and time off. I'm very LUCKY to have a job, and friends such as you all. If I stay in the canoe club, and I get back to a ship: I promise everyone around a tour, and a ride when they do the one day trip thing... Except for Joe, cause he's an inspector and screw him!

R/
William
Old 08-14-2001, 07:27 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JeepKat:

When I grow up I want to be retired. [/quote]

Me, I hope when I grow up, I hope I still have the same Jeep friends. And we all sit on the porch of some house, really close to some really neat trail, and have coffee, soymilk, and tell stories till late in the night.

I hope that we all live long and get old and grumpy and still meet early in the morning to wheel or wrench.

And I hope, when I get old, that everyone forgets that I stalled Seth's Jeep after meeting him for like 5 seconds.

R/
William
Old 08-14-2001, 08:01 PM

I met Seth today He drove my Jeep! He's going to Rocktoberfest with us

When I grow up and retire, I want to go wheeling with my Jeep friends (the one’s we have now, and maybe a few new one’s added along the way) everywhere and two or three times to the places I like a lot. I want to sit on the porch and talk about the time so and so did that with their Jeep or this with their Jeep, and look at our pictures. I want a nice comfortable place where our friends can stay and visit and call home for a short while. I want to eat peanuts and popcorn and salt on my tomatoes!

I want a really big work shed for my mechanical husband who may never make us rich with his inventions, but who has a wealth not known to many, his generous self. (There I go ruining his assholiness reputation again)

I want to grow old with Blaine (come and grow old with me, the best is yet to be). He is everything to me. The kindest gentlest person loves me. I don’t want to be grouchy in my old age; I want laugh lines to be all of the wrinkles on my face.

It’s getting kind of mushy around here. I’m going back to work. I'd better buy a lotto ticket tomorrow if I'm going to have money to pay for all of this.
Old 08-21-2001, 06:52 AM

Great thoughts Kat! My kind of gal
My dad talked me into going to work for Los Angeles DW&P when I was 18. I was married and had one kid all ready. I took a tremendous cut in pay when I quit the market where I was working over 50 hours a week and soon to be assistant mngr where I would only work 60+ hours.
Thank You Dad!
34 years later they had a buy out due to the de-regulation of the utility industries. The DW&P wanted to get rid of engineers but had to open the buy out to every one. Thanks Civil Sevice! They gave me a fat check that allowed me to pay off everything with some left over and full bennys. I get over 75% of my salary with KOLAs every year. I got to work in San Fancisquito power plants, Bishop, Ca, and Hoover Dam thru those years. Mostly living in free company housing.
Thanks again, dad.......
Ro
Old 08-26-2001, 02:06 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by William...:
Except for Joe, cause he's an inspector and screw him!
R/
William[/quote]

I try to be as fair as I can during the ships' training cycle. I'm sure I've PO'd a few along the way, but the end goal is to make the ships crew better prepared for offensive battle. At least in my field.

I wish you all the luck in picking up Chief & beyond William. It was a very hard road for me. My nose refused to get brown! I had a couple set-backs but finally got selected. I was certain it would never happen & then all the sudden it did. Good Luck.