Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 05-31-2005, 02:33 PM

Question check engine light?

I have a 1997 cherokee sport, that I just bought. Yesterday I was driving home after havigh to jump start the jeep because I left a light on. ( Is there some reason why it wouldn't start after popping the clutch). The check engine light came on but prestented no symptoms, then half way home at a stop sign it almoast stalled out. check guages light flashed on and the vilt meter in the dash went down. I gave it a little gas and all returned to normal except for the check engine which is still on.
Today I bought one of those code reader tools and got a two codes p0107 and p1398. could these sensors be triggered by somthing wrong with the alternator or batterie.
Any help is greatly apreciated I know one of the codes is a MAP sensor But I don't know what a CKP sensor is, does it have somthing to do with the crankshaft position sensor.

Thanks
Old 05-31-2005, 05:03 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

First thing I would do is to put the battery on a good charger and let it go over night. Charging from the alternator when the battery has been heavily discharged does not seem to yield the same results as doing it with a regular battery charger.

After that is done, then see how the gauges, engine idel, etc. are all responding.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:19 AM

Thumbs up thanks stu

Thank you for the quick reply.
I went down and had the battery and altonator tested. The alternator checks out but the battery is at 70%. Will replace that, also used the car chip to clear the check engine light. Now I'll just wait to see what happens next.

Thanks again.