Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 06-30-2003, 02:38 PM

You can balance SXs

I'd never bothered trying to balance my SXs figuring that between their semi round shape and the beadlocks it was pointless. After dealing with a crappy on road ride for far too long I decided to give it a try this weekend. It look a bit of weight (36 ounces on the worst one) but wow, it is like night and day, smoooootttthhh. I also replaced my thoroughly thrashed front control arms a few weeks ago which helped quite a bit as well.

I'm very happy to have a Jeep I can drive on the road again
Old 06-30-2003, 03:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to JMyerz Send a message via Yahoo to JMyerz
Re: You can balance SXs

You might want to try the centramatic wheel balancers that were reviewed on rockcrawler.com.

I have seen nothing but great reports of these balancing the worst of tires.

Justin

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Welch
I'd never bothered trying to balance my SXs figuring that between their semi round shape and the beadlocks it was pointless. After dealing with a crappy on road ride for far too long I decided to give it a try this weekend. It look a bit of weight (36 ounces on the worst one) but wow, it is like night and day, smoooootttthhh. I also replaced my thoroughly thrashed front control arms a few weeks ago which helped quite a bit as well.

I'm very happy to have a Jeep I can drive on the road again
Old 06-30-2003, 03:51 PM

Its funny. You CAN balance SXs. But let them get cold and you're still driving on cinderblocks, until they get hot again.

But the one thing I learned is that when a tire take 3 pounds to balance it, it might not quite be round.
Old 06-30-2003, 03:57 PM

Fortunately it doesn't take that long for them to warm back up, and yes, they are known to be only approximately round.

My take on the centramatics was that the little ones (300 series?) didn't have quite enough mass to deal with a balance issue of this magnitude, not sure though not having tried.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Welch
Fortunately it doesn't take that long for them to warm back up, and yes, they are known to be only approximately round.
That goes for a lot of things in life.. only approximately the way they should be! So, in the long run, you find what you like, make it work for what you need it for, and don't sweat details.

Man, tires sure do teach a lot, don't they?
Old 07-01-2003, 06:46 AM

Doesn"t MT/R stand for "Meaning to rife" It was translated from Chinese, that's why it's not life.

Deserves got nothing to do with it
Old 07-01-2003, 09:53 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by HIGLET
Doesn"t MT/R stand for "Meaning to rife" It was translated from Chinese, that's why it's not life.
Maximum Traction: Rocks.

SX, well, draw your own conclusions!!

Old 07-01-2003, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by William
and don't sweat details.

I had that philosophy at one point. I set up specific buckles and there counterpart latches along the back wall for the EMT's and Emergency personnel to use when they rode on the squad bench. The squad bench in an ambulance is also used to transport an additional patient should the need arise. In that scenario, before the patient is actually loaded on the bench, the lid is lifted and the seat belts that are bolted to the inside of the outer wall of the bench base are flipped to the outside for use. Then the lid is closed and the patient is placed on the bench and strapped in place for transport.

I wanted to keep the belts use specific, so the ones for upright personnel were of one style and horizontal patients of another style and intermixed along the back wall.

The detail I overlooked in my infinite wisdom, was that some nurse assisting on an ACLS call would have enough hand strength and fortitude to jam two non compatible parts together with enough force to make them inseparable.

She had to be cut out of the restraint and the unit was out of service until I could get all the buckles and latches to be of the same style. Yes, the devil is in the details.
Old 07-01-2003, 02:57 PM

What's really bad is when you don't have beadlocks.......... have 2.5 pounds of weight on one side...........and then spin both back tires halfway around the rim when wheeling.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
The detail I overlooked in my infinite wisdom, was that some nurse assisting on an ACLS call would have enough hand strength and fortitude to jam two non compatible parts together with enough force to make them inseparable.

She had to be cut out of the restraint and the unit was out of service until I could get all the buckles and latches to be of the same style. Yes, the devil is in the details.
Guess you've gotta worry about the determined idiots in life, eh?

The devil is other places too!
Old 07-01-2003, 04:00 PM

www.tryaboutapoundofbbsorgolfballs.com

BBs work pretty good on my MTRs. They should, like a Centramatic balancer, help the flat spotting a little too.

-Bart
Old 07-01-2003, 05:47 PM

Hi Bart!
I'm gonna start a thread on this BB thing, cuz I don't get it.

HB

NRA Lifetime Member
Old 07-02-2003, 04:21 AM

I posted on your thread too, Hellbender. I don't guess BBs would help much if the tire is not round.

-Bart