Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-26-2001, 09:47 PM

ZJ: '94 auto tranny problem

Got about 145K miles on the 44RE (I think that's what it is) auto tranny in the ZJ. Within the last several weeks it's been acting up. When the tranny acts up it also affects the engine idle, which leads me to believe that there is something wrong with more than just the tranny. Every so often, after I've come to a stop at a stop light or sign the tranny will slip put of gear. When I try to give it gas I have the "pump" the gas pedal to get the tranny to engage again. Also, during prolonged stops (stop lights) the engine RPMs drop to almost 0 and the whole vehicle shakes. This lasts about 2-3 seconds and then the RPMs pick back up. It's been happening pretty regularly recently. I know I need some new spark plugs and motor mounts, but aside from that any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to see about taking it in to a tranny shop this week.

Edit:
I'm thinking it might have something to do with the TPS (I've heard of the 93-95 TPS' going bad). Someone suggested adjusting the bands too? Might also be time for a fluid/filter change/flush. I'll get back to you.
Where to find Amsoil? Anyone got any suggestions of recommended fluid besides Amsoil or DC stuff?

"give it some stick"

[This message was edited by Z-what? on December 26, 2001 at 11:28 PM.]
Old 12-27-2001, 07:10 AM
Reggae

It could very well be one of the sensors. Take a peek at the troubleshooting section of your service manual.

Did you check your ATF level? Run the jeep until hot, put it on level ground, apply brakes, go through all positions of the transmission shifter, put it in Neutral, apply parking brake, and go check your level with the engine running.

When you replace the ATF, make sure the correct one for the transmission you have; some Chrysler automatic transmissions are picky, because they use partial engagement of the torque converter, by engaging and disengaging it several times a second, incorrect fluid causes clutches to overheat.

I don’t know how to adjust bands; service manual should have a page on that. What you are saying about RPM could very well be not the transmission problem.

I don’t really know much about all this stuff, and I just post to keep the conversation going.

P.S. I use Red Line C+ ATF in my TJ.

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 12-27-2001, 06:41 PM

I had a problem where my TJ was missing and almost back firing and would stall out at lights, turned out to be the O2 sensor, the distributor cap and rotor, a sensor (I think the MAP sensor?). It had to be a combination of both I guess.

R/
William
Old 12-30-2001, 10:49 AM

I would as suggested check the fluid level first, but based on you information I would suspect the TPS or a low idle problem caused by the IAC (idle air control motor) or maybe a dirty throttle body.

Got Groceries ?
Old 12-30-2001, 11:31 AM

Ben, sounds like more of a sensor problem. I used to have the same problem and replaced the IAC, then the TPS. It sounds more like the IAC (Idle Air Control) if the problem mainly occurs when at stoplights when the engine is forced to idle. The sensors are easier to afford than tranny work, so I would change them out first. I believe I got both of my sensors at Autozone, but the Mopar sensors are 2 times as expensive and I have had no problems w/ the ones from Autozone. When was the last time the fluid was flushed? It might not hurt to do that also. If you don't want to pay a shop to do it, I am pretty skilled in the art of tranny flushing. Definately check that tranny fluid per the instructions mentioned above and look for bubbles or smell for a burnt smell. Hope some of that will help ya out.

'93 ZJ, V8, 5.5", 33" SSRs, ARB, etc.
Old 01-04-2002, 11:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to mudpup Send a message via Yahoo to mudpup
Hey Ben, it helps to have some fluid in there to make it work better

95 YJ, SOA and axle swap in progress
Old 01-06-2002, 03:59 PM

Yeah...found that out...seems like all those problems were being caused by having low tranny fluid. I'm going to change the filter and flush the fluid this week.

Thanks for the help Brandon.

94 ZJ 6.5" lift
"give it some stick"