Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 09-04-2001, 08:05 AM

Hey Brad >> Skyjacker versus MOPAR Deep Tranny Pans for Auto TJ's ??

Brad,

Got a question for you on deep tranny pans for auto TJ's. This started over on JU ... JU Thread on Deep Tranny Pan Install ... you also briefly responded to this thread.

Anyway, as you probably saw, a couple of guys over there indicated that some folks who installed the Skyjacker versions were running into tranny fluid starvation problems in off-camber situations (and were supposedly "blowing-up" their trannies). The reason given was that the Skyjacker unit didn't have the pick-up adapter piece that the MOPAR version has (to relocate the pick-up back down to the stock position). However, I just bought a Skyjacker deep tranny pan a couple of weeks ago and I was told at the time that it was the exact same MOPAR unit, except that the pan itself was gold zinc plated (and this was at a 30-year old tranny shop, where I figure the guys probably know what they're talking about). Mine also came with the same looking kit of hardware (pick-up relocator, gasket, 3 spacers, 3 bolts, 3 washers, , etc.) that you show in the picture of the MOPAR set-up on your Kilby Enterprises website.

Have you heard any of this apparent nonsense with regard to the Skyjacker deep tranny pan version? I conjectured over on JU that perhaps someone didn't get the extra kit of pick-up relocating hardware from Skyjacker, or if they did, maybe they didn't install the "extra" stuff (which would obviously defeat the entire purposes of going with a deep trann y pan in the first place). Any thoughts on all of this?

TIA,
Donn
Old 09-05-2001, 11:09 PM
Banned

You've got mail.

http://www.dehesa4x4.com/bkilby/
Old 09-06-2001, 07:43 AM

Thanks Brad ... got your message.
Old 09-06-2001, 11:31 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

So what's the deal, does the Skyjacker pan suck or did people just not put in the extended pickup correctly?

Jeff
Old 09-06-2001, 12:11 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Weston:
So what's the deal, does the Skyjacker pan suck or did people just not put in the extended pickup correctly?

Jeff[/quote]

Jeff,

Brad confirmed what I had been told (when I bought the Skyjacker pan at a tranny repair business), and that is, that the Skyjacker unit is the same MOPAR deep tranny pan that has simply been gold zinc plated. Therefore, the little package of parts for relocating the pick-up is the sam e stuff that's in the MOPAR kit.

I initially made the case that maybe some of the JU guys maybe didn't use the pick-up parts or forgot to put them in, but Brad had an even more novel question ... did they put any fluid back in the tranny?? (At least I wasn't that cruel).
D
Old 09-06-2001, 12:32 PM
Reggae

And if they did, did they use the right kind of ATF?

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com
Old 09-06-2001, 04:08 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Ha ha, I wouldn't be surprised if they did screw up on the fluid. As you know, it takes a bit of patience to get the fluid level just right without under or over filling.

Jeff
Old 09-06-2001, 09:49 PM
Banned

Maybe I should buy one of them SJ pans to compare them. I hate to say they're the same then find out I'm a liar.

http://www.dehesa4x4.com/bkilby/
Old 09-07-2001, 06:57 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brad Kilby:
Maybe I should buy one of them SJ pans to compare them. I hate to say they're the same then find out I'm a liar.
[/quote]

I smell a lawsuit coming on.
Old 09-10-2001, 07:11 AM
Reggae

Somebody who knows the guy with the problem, could you ask him which ATF he used to refill the tranny?

Navigation and Technologies Officer
NoNo Expeditions Australia

www.expeditionsaustralia.com