Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 08-10-2004, 01:11 PM
Alloy USA Pimp

Send a message via AIM to Rockjeep Send a message via Yahoo to Rockjeep
Trying new hobbie

Be tired of what all has been going on I am trying a new hobbie. I love the deep sea fishing. BUt there is something that caught my eye. My wife works next to March air force base and Friday we were watching some skydivers jumping from way up. So I have been researching this. I now have resurvations for a jump in two weeks. The first one will be tandum and the secons is single. I just hope I remember to pull the cord. I don't think I'll bounce well. I also switched my belt buckle to an alunimun on for the weight.
Lighter shoe strings also.
Kory
Old 08-10-2004, 01:32 PM

I had a coworker who used to skydive in the Perris area frequently. He had somewhere close to 500 jumps! He took his parashoot everywhere we went while overseas & did lots of jumps there too (Thialand, Australia, Singapore, China, Hong Kong etc). He LOVED it. Have fun!!
Old 08-10-2004, 01:54 PM

Re: Trying new hobbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Rockjeep
The first one will be tandum and the secons is single. I just hope I remember to pull the cord.
Actually, I think they'll have you on a static line for your first solo jumps (at least that's how it's done around here).

I've always been tempted to try it but don't know that I'd have the b@lls to jump once I was standing at the door.

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 08-10-2004, 02:02 PM

Have fun it is a blast, the best rush I ever had. it is a sport I wish I could afford to do a lot more of.

Scott
Old 08-10-2004, 03:55 PM
Alloy USA Pimp

I have bungie jumped befor and parasaided and loved both.. Another thing that was fun was riding wave runners to catalina. half way across you loose sight of land and have to go off gps. ANd carrie extra gas.I'm glad we did.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Rockjeep
I have bungie jumped befor and parasaided and loved both.. Another thing that was fun was riding wave runners to catalina. half way across you loose sight of land and have to go off gps. ANd carrie extra gas.I'm glad we did.
Horse puckey, on a clear day I can see Catalina just fine.

I would encourage you to refer to fishing in the ocean as salt water fishing though, only tourists refer to it as "deep sea".

Before you get too riled up, bear in mind that in a previous life I had a 26' Carver in a slip in Dana Point harbor that during one stint, I took out 14 times in 12 days.

I also used to build my own very high dollar fishing rigs. I used Loomis composite blend fiberglass/carbon fiber blanks that would absolutely kick a big tuna's ass.

We also use to hit Ensenada for the tuna run quite frequently and just slam the 40 pounders until you couldn't hold a rod any more.

My best local fish was a Thresher that headed and gutted was sold to a local fish market in the back door and they paid us for 200 pounds.

My best offshore fish around Guadalupe Island on a 6 day 6 pack on a 58 Hatteras was a 500 plus pound black Marlin that I shared stand-up time with the guy who actually hooked him.

My favorite local fish was a white sea bass that I caught on my 8 lbs. test set-up and a very small spinning reel. Weighed in at 38 lbs.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:30 PM

Why would anyone do something as stupid as jumping out of a perfectly good airplane?

Old 08-10-2004, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Not if your AT sea leval

Nothing compares to paddy jumping at the butterfly bank when the Yellowfin and Dorado are hot. Oooh I miss it!

I had unlimited access to a twin diesal sportfisher for 3 years. Almost cost me my marriage, but it sure was FUN!

I'm still married but havent been offshore in 4 years

Matt
Old 08-10-2004, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
But how many times have you piloted a small boat to Catalina? I've done so 25-30 times, most from Long Beach which is the closest port, and rarely could I see the island all the way across. It was compass, Loran, or GPS... without one of the three, it would have been tough to get there more than a few times. Haze or fog much of the time, especially since you have to leave so early to avoid the major chop or swells that usually come up in the channel after mid-morning.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to LeadFoot
Quote:
Originally posted by Paradiddle
Why would anyone do something as stupid as jumping out of a perfectly good airplane?

Same sort of reason people lift and modify jeeps.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
But how many times have you piloted a small boat to Catalina? I've done so 25-30 times, most from Long Beach which is the closest port, and rarely could I see the island all the way across. It was compass, Loran, or GPS... without one of the three, it would have been tough to get there more than a few times. Haze or fog much of the time, especially since you have to leave so early to avoid the major chop or swells that usually come up in the channel after mid-morning.
I had a 26' Cabin Cruiser with a flybridge set up for fishing and I lived to fish. How many times do you think I went to Catalina?

I've always found it most fascinating that if you spun Catalina using it's closest point as an axis and stopped when you had the other end close to the coast, you could almost jump across the gap.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:40 PM

Quote:

I would encourage you to refer to fishing in the ocean as salt water fishing though, only tourists refer to it as "deep sea".

Before you get too riled up, bear in mind that in a previous life I had a 26' Carver in a slip in Dana Point harbor that during one stint, I took out 14 times in 12 days.

I also used to build my own very high dollar fishing rigs. I used Loomis composite blend fiberglass/carbon fiber blanks that would absolutely kick a big tuna's ass.

We also use to hit Ensenada for the tuna run quite frequently and just slam the 40 pounders until you couldn't hold a rod any more.

My best local fish was a Thresher that headed and gutted was sold to a local fish market in the back door and they paid us for 200 pounds.

My best offshore fish around Guadalupe Island on a 6 day 6 pack on a 58 Hatteras was a 500 plus pound black Marlin that I shared stand-up time with the guy who actually hooked him.

My favorite local fish was a white sea bass that I caught on my 8 lbs. test set-up and a very small spinning reel. Weighed in at 38 lbs.
My best fish was hamachi at mikuni's
Old 08-10-2004, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan-H
My best fish was hamachi at mikuni's
You'd be surprised how many of the local sushi places used to buy our fresh caught yellowtail.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:46 PM

In my previous life as a successful person my boss had a 31 foot power cruiser that was very cool and very expensive (a motorhome that floats essentially).

We went to Catalina once and played golf - very clear when we left (Newport Beach) then this heavy fog bank until we got more then half way there - it was odd.

What was really odd was the nuts on the jet skis following the bigger boats out there - that didn't look fun at all.

When I worked at Jeep in HB we had this loon in service (a big CJ5 geek - a real jeeper and a great guy) - he told me once he went to catalina with a 10 gallon can of gas, his Zodiac with the 25 HP Evenrude, and a 12 pack of Bud.

Jeff
Old 08-10-2004, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Paradiddle
In my previous life as a successful person my boss had a 31 foot power cruiser that was very cool and very expensive (a motorhome that floats essentially).

We went to Catalina once and played golf - very clear when we left (Newport Beach) then this heavy fog bank until we got more then half way there - it was odd.

What was really odd was the nuts on the jet skis following the bigger boats out there - that didn't look fun at all.

When I worked at Jeep in HB we had this loon in service (a big CJ5 geek - a real jeeper and a great guy) - he told me once he went to catalina with a 10 gallon can of gas, his Zodiac with the 25 HP Evenrude, and a 12 pack of Bud.

Jeff
Is that all it takes to get qualified as a loon?

My bestest fishing buddy and I started saltwater fishing in a two man kayak we built. Birch frame and two layer of naughahyde with the cloth sides glued together with rubber cement.

We saved up our pennies, hit SportMart for the 3.5 horse outboard, rigged up a rigid cantilever mount, steered with the original rudder and hit the open ocean with that thing. (we really wanted to fish)

Once, we were about 10 miles offshore fishing the largest mackeral boil I have every seen, about a 1/4 mile across and a half that deep. The macks had chased a school of anchovies to the surface and were wolfing them down.

We got to talking about being that far out and being shark bait when a huge male sea lion surfaced next to us and blew. Since our attention was focused on the other side of the kayak, I thought we were both going to die right there. Prudence got the better of us and we decided not to start chumming for sharks with some of the macks and headed back to the harbor.

Do we qualify as loons?
Old 08-10-2004, 10:04 PM

I caught half a dozen 1-2 lb catfish the other day.....

Oh, and a very small bluegill.

Allen
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 08-10-2004, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Do we qualify as loons?
You met those qualifications long ago my friend!
Old 08-11-2004, 07:11 AM

Blaine,

I knew you where a little strange at times but I did not and still not think you are a loon.

You are F&^%ing CRAZY

Scott

PS how could you be so mean to all those naugha's
Old 08-11-2004, 09:29 AM
Alloy USA Pimp

Like matt said at sea level it all different when your 2' off the water. Ever time we have gone bu boat I,ve always seen the land so that why we did it on the runners.