Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 02-19-2004, 07:09 AM

Opportunity to drop from 5.5" to 4.5"...should I do it?

35" tires, 1" body lift, 5.5" RockKrawler springs. After many months of looking for someone to trade their 4.5" springs for my 5.5" springs, I've found someone who wants to swap their fairly new 4.5" Rubicon Express springs for mine.

More data... I just found out yesterday that I can get a heck of a deal on RE's long-arm conversion kit which will work with either height. I'll be installing RE's LA kit within a few months for sure.

For purposes of lowering my CG, I think this is a good move on my part, especially since I have no plans to ever go to 37" tires. I've long-felt my lift height was a little too tall. What do you guys think? Jump on the 4.5" spring swap opportunity? Thanks!
Old 02-19-2004, 07:20 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Jerry, I think that is a decision that you and you alone must make because it is your rig and you wheel it. Likewise, your style and location of wheelin' will influence what setup should be working for you.

I went against the "norm" and raised mine during my last lift change. Personally, I enjoy the hell out of the change. This past Monday, we found some new waterfalls to climb. Having the extra clearance at my center skid got me over....my buddy broke out the winch cable. And I am certain that on some other obstacle, I'll be at a disadvantage.

I am not saying my setup is right or wrong....but it works for me and I do not regret it after it being on since last July.

Your's needs to work for you and I think you are the most qualified to make that decision.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:23 AM

Hey Jerry,

As far as the RE LA, I would consider the Full Traction LA if you are going that route. I have installed several of them, and they are a much better lift that the RE LA. If you can get a good deal on the RE than that would be better than short arms, but drive a rig with the RE and the Full Traction, then decide.

RE makes good stuff, but I think more work went into the FT lift to make it closer to perfect.

Going from 5.5 to 4.5 you will enjoy that as well! Plenty of lift for 35" tires
68 Jeep M715 army truck
97 F350
Old 02-19-2004, 07:27 AM

Jerry, the RE springs that I've seen and touched, typically yield about 1" more than their nominal ratiing, meaning that most people I've seen get around 5.5" of lift from the RE4.5" springs.
I don't know if your RK springs yielded 5.5" or more, but if they are close to their nominal rating (5.5"), you're probably not going to lose any height switching.
Just something to consider.

Fred
Suspension - 4.5" Currie Suspension Lift + 2" PA body lift, RS9000 Shocks, Currie front adjustable track bar. Currie Tie Rod and Drag Link, Currie Anti-Rock Sway Bar, Currie control arms. RE adjustable rear track bar.
Axles & Lockers - Dana30/Dana44; LockRite/Full Detroit; 4.56.
Drivetrain - AA SYE and CV Driveshaft, Tera 2wd lo.
Armor - Full
Wheels - 35x12.50 R15 MT/R's sipped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
Recovery - Warn XD9000i
Old 02-19-2004, 07:35 AM

Jerry, your end result will be right where I'm at. RE LA Kit, 4.5" springs with 1" body lift (my BL is 1.25", but whoopee) with 35's. I've read elsewhere where folks that went 5.5" initially have dropped to 4.5" and been happy. Their comments were similar: felt a little too tall for that tire height.

If you've been looking to swap the springs for "many months", then it's obvious you feel "too tall" on 5.5. Consequently, I say go ahead and swap them out. I do rub slightly at full stuff, they have to be stuffed hard, but a little rubbing is OK in my book. It feels pretty stable off camber, and my wife really likes the on-road ride of the LA kit.

The LA kit has one drawback that I've found: the arms will drag/slide in the rough stuff. If you come down on them hard, they can bend, but if you ease down they hold up fine. My wife is the "cleaning and painting" nut in the family. After a trip you'll see her under the Jeep with a spray can touching up the arms.

Edit: Fred brings up a good point, my 4.5" springs gave me 5.25" inches of height when first installed. They've settled a little, now about 5".
Old 02-19-2004, 08:47 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Jerry,

Fred and Darrell hit the nail on the head that RE's springs tend to run higher than advertised (especially the rears ). Anyway, if you're serious about wanting to get down in height for your 35's and want a nice ride, I'd pick up the 4" Pro Comp springs that the "pimp" has in the for sale section. Having had both RE & PC coils, I can tell you that the PC's ride a lot better, the rears flex better (my RE rears were so stiff it wouldn't stuff) and they have lasted longer. If the PC's aren't quite high enough you can always throw in a small spacer after the fact.

As for the long arm upgrade, RE's can be had somewhat "affordable". If you're looking for a new suspension from the ground up then the Full Traction kit is pretty slick like Quinn said. It looks so good in boxes in my garage, I can only imagine how cool it's going to be on the Jeep.

BTW, doesn't your new employer have a Pro Comp only mandate? You've gotta' tow the company line.