Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 10-20-2003, 02:46 PM

Thumbs down Taking "Roadless" a little to far perhaps

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/10/1....ap/index.html

On the outset, this seems outrageous.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:59 PM

I'm definitely no anti-Federal person but once in a while, crap like what some of our Federal (state too!) bureaucrats do to our citizens, like what you just posted William, is just fricken' outrageous.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:50 PM

Every time I see that article I wonder how they got in there to begin with? It never says as far as I know.
I get the impression they could drive on the old road but the bulldozer was what pee'ed them off.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:09 PM
The king of shotgun debate

I liked that they have no road access but they have telephone service!

I wonder if Ma Bell (or appropriate affiliate) can drive their trucks on the road to do utility repair?)

Frank
Old 10-20-2003, 09:33 PM

I'd like to know the full story. It sounds like we are just getting bits and pieces.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Daless2
I liked that they have no road access but they have telephone service!

I wonder if Ma Bell (or appropriate affiliate) can drive their trucks on the road to do utility repair?)

Frank
I don't know the whole story, but my guess would be satellite phone.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:36 PM
ghall

There is a battle like that going on allot closer to home. If I counted correctly there are nine people that post on this board who are property owners in the area of Paniment City and are locked out of their property. The property in that area consists of patented mine and mill sites. Because of CBD pressure the BLM placed a locked gate on Inyo County maintained P71 or Suprise Cyn. Rd. The BLM will not furnish keys to the gate despite numerous requests from property owners.
Garry
Old 10-21-2003, 10:14 PM
Banned

As Garry points out, this looks like an access right that is being fought all over. He points out the Panamint situation, but there are many closures that have happened and are happening right now. We have our whole desert at risk to the use by motorized recreation. This guy apparantly is getting good press and support. If you have been to any of the meetings sponsored by the BLM and other government organizations recently, you will realize that these lands are slipping away from us due to a lack of support by the people who love and use these areas. One of the interesting things to me is how the Sierra Club seems to not even show up to the public meetings any more. Do they think they have won the battle? Guess the message is to support each attempt to stop any closure of public access, anywhere.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:34 AM

Its not the Sierra Club that is the problem whether they show up or not. Its the CBD and they don't need to show up because al lthey need to do is simply file a lawsuit.

Frankly, we could reduce these lawsuits by urging our electeds to reconfigure the laws so that the petitioner is responsbile for court costs if they lose.

But then that is also acknowledging the right to sue which I am also not extremely fond of - basically, by filing these suits, the CBD is forcing the BLM and other agencys to formulate land use policy through the court system. If I was an elected, I would be pretty ****ed about this going on in my district.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
If I was an elected, I would be pretty ****ed about this going on in my district.
Run for office Robert.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by William
Run for office Robert.
LOL and you think that the press had a field day with Clintons' private life. Besides, I don't know of anyone who hs been elected to office from the Anarchist Party yet
Old 10-22-2003, 11:59 AM

Quote:
LOL and you think that the press had a field day with Clintons' private life. Besides, I don't know of anyone who hs been elected to office from the Anarchist Party yet
You're a far stretch from an Anarchist.. But, it's an option to institute change. I'd probably vote for you.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:50 PM

William, let me assure you that if I were ever in charge of a country, I would be a true despot
Old 10-22-2003, 01:28 PM

Quote:
William, let me assure you that if I were ever in charge of a country, I would be a true despot
Are we talking leadership, or personality?
Old 10-22-2003, 01:32 PM

Both. I would rid my country of those that offend me, disagree with me and that I plain flat out don't like. I think the CBD folks would take a nice high place in line - its the old 3 strikes and yer out rule.....
Old 10-22-2003, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Both. I would rid my country of those that offend me, disagree with me and that I plain flat out don't like. I think the CBD folks would take a nice high place in line - its the old 3 strikes and yer out rule.....
All that and you don't want to run?

You've already got your soap box!
Old 10-23-2003, 05:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to yellowdog
things are getting worse all the time ...last year i hosted a cleanup of the pine barrens with favorable press..this year the same press was gonna write a story about 4 wheelers destroying land..they found out about the cleanup i'm doing this sunday and are bringing a camera/reporter to get our side again..this crap ****es me off..1 BMX bike on a fire break does more damage than a jeep on an unimproved dirt road used since before whites came to america and maintained as such since then