Go Back   JeepBBS > What Where When > Get Out and Wheel

Get Out and Wheel Head 'em up and move 'em out! We're getting ready for a trail ride! Find a trail ride for your local or not so local area here. You can also post information about upcoming runs and off-road events in this section

Old 04-13-2003, 09:39 PM

Thumbs up A big giant thank you to TJRON!

I had a blast on the North Rim Tour! Ron had all the details covered- he sent out some BEAUTIFUL homemade topos showing our camp and the trails, as well as directions to camp and an itenerary of possible trips. He could become a historian, his knowledge of the geology and history of the area is that intimate. Ron, I suggest you pick up "The Monkey Wrench Gang" by Edward Abby from your library, you will get a kick out of it. Anyways, here are some pics:

A group photo before we eat dust.

Art's 38 inch Swampers earned him the nickname Big Cloud.

Robert peeks into the inner gorge.

Ron checks out some petroglyphs.

Those Jeeps got dusty quick!

Kathryne winds along the high shelf road on the way out of the Neverending Draw.

Jason isn't going to let a few rocks stop him on the way up from Savanic Mine.

As my Mom used to say, Spring has sprung!

Good times and good food were shared around the campfire each night.

It was a marathon trip for me, 12 hours each way as well as 2 FULL days of touring. I drove 350 miles of dirt road over the 4 days I had for the trip, I saw 3 other vehicles the entire time. Talk about remote! I definately want to go back there, especially to camp out at Toroweep Point. Here's the rest of the photos:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/EA7DCECB8D8F289

Once again, thanks Ron! It was nice to meet and 'wheel with the rest of you too, Robert, Kendra, Kathryn, Jason and Art.
Old 04-13-2003, 10:14 PM

I knew you folks would have a great trip! Thanks for sharing the pics.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:01 PM

Great pics as always, Alex. I seriously tried to make time for this trip but couldn't get it worked out. Maybe next year (hint, hint Ron )
Old 04-14-2003, 01:27 PM

Thanks for the kind words young man , it was a pleasure to take friends that enjoy wide open spaces and lots of wheel time as much as I do. I've never traveled or camped with a better group! Not one single irritation in four days of close living.
I didn't take as many pictures as I should have but I did get a few.

Alex exploring Toroweap:

I'll bet not many have seen a petroglyph like this unusual one:

This was a new area for me. It was close to our base camp and some of the most spectacular scenery I've seen in the area. Alex, sorry you left before this trip. Maybe you'll come back?

Some Jeeps belong in that sand wash. It seems to go for ever with lots of side canyons. There is also some Moabish slick rock that needs exploring. An amazing area and not too spread out.

We had a couple Jeeps break. Robert broke a shock when he bottomed out on a big ditch doing about 30mph. We reached speeds up to a dusty 50 mph on some of the roads. Art's steering bracket broke 3 bolts off his knuckle and he had both front wheels going in opposite directions. His Ready Welder came in handy!

Notice how organized Art is with his stuff spread out in an orderly fashion. Art's just that kinda guy!

I'll leave a trip description for the others when they get back.

Here's some more pictures:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/2E114A20E32D6BC
Old 04-14-2003, 04:21 PM

It's amazing how much carnage we had on a such a mellow trip! I got on the highway and noticed my steering was off center. I looked under there and found a large crack completely across the lower part of the unibody under the steering box. I guess a bunch of heavy rockcrawling Jeeps should not be flying across the desert Rat Patrol- style.

Joe- Ron told us a story about some mock bullfighting and said that you had some photos of the event... care to share them with us?
Old 04-14-2003, 07:10 PM

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Ron, I really love "The Monkey Wrench Gang." One of my favorites. You might even qualify as "Seldom Seen Smith", LOL.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:11 PM

Alex and Ron - great pictures. I'm very upset that I had plans preventing me from coming - it looked like a great trip.

Alex - hopefully you rolled up your windows on that dusty road and reminded them TJs guys of your AC

Robert - sorry to hear about your shock.

Art - sorry to hear about your knuckle -you and that welder!!!

Alex - call Mark Hinkley - he is working on some type of steering/frame stiffener for the XJ crowd.

Jeff
Old 04-14-2003, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paradiddle

Alex - hopefully you rolled up your windows on that dusty road and reminded them TJs guys of your AC

Jeff
Young man,
I would like to inform you that TJs also have a/c. They also have removeable tops.
If they didn't, I would probably have the longer, roomier version Jeep.

Sorry you couldn't make it Jeff. If your half as nice as these other guys I got to meet you would be a treat!
Old 04-14-2003, 08:34 PM

I haven't had such a great time wheeling in awhile. My thanks to Ron for showing us around. The pictures are great but the actual experience was breathtaking. Other than the rainy, traffic snarled trip home, it was very enjoyable. To see the sights we saw, drive where we did, camp with no one within 100's of miles of us was nothing short of euphoric. Thanks to all. I had a great time.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tumbleweed
Thanks for sharing the pictures. Ron, I really love "The Monkey Wrench Gang." One of my favorites. You might even qualify as "Seldom Seen Smith", LOL.
I was thinking the same thing! We already have a G.W. Hayduke on this BBS and if the shoe fits...

Quote:
Originally posted by Paradiddle
Alex and Ron - great pictures. I'm very upset that I had plans preventing me from coming - it looked like a great trip.

It's a bummer that you didn't make it. I abandoned my OEM front bumper on Robert's trailer, hopefully it make it home!

Robert actually was the one who enjoyed a dust free, air conditioned trail ride. It didn't dawn on me to try that until the end of the first day and by then I had 50 pounds of dust coating my Jeep, inside and out.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:55 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by TJRON
Young man,
Old 04-14-2003, 10:47 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Nice pics! I must say, this one makes me a bit nervous. Damn this fear, eh, healthy repspect of heights!
Old 04-15-2003, 08:39 AM

Jeff,
Imagine standing there peering over the edge and a Swallow goes zooming by your head at (what was that speed Robert?) 150-200 miles an hour.
I went to the Grand Canyon and all I got was this Swallow stuck in my head. I kept having this thought of one of those birds knocking me in the back of the head and falling over.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:02 AM

If you want scary, sit on the edge with binoculars and look across the canyon. Slowly pan down the canyon walls until you see the river. As your head tilts down you think you're at the bottom of the canyon about three quarters of the way. To keep going your head is pointing straight down and you feel like you're going to tip into the canyon at any second . Truly unreal!
Old 04-15-2003, 09:11 AM

It was an awesome trip all around - fun, relaxing, and educational. I hadn't seen the grand canyon or any of northern Arizona before but after seeing what the area has to offer I'll definitely be back. As the others have said Ron thanks for organizing this and showing us around, we saw more in 3 days than we could have in 3 weeks of just wandering around!
Old 04-15-2003, 05:19 PM

Talking Thank you, Ron!

The company was great! Everyone had patience and got along, if someone had a problem everyone pitched in and did what he or she could do to help out. I had a truly wonderful time and the canyon was awe-inspiring. I collected a few rocks from the mine area and I found a fossil of a clamshell at the top of the look out.

Ron I appreciated the full service fill up every morning and you even make ?good coffee?. I like Art?s new nickname ?Big Cloud? for the dust that his Jeep throws up and I want to thank you for the extra gas. I traveled over 1200 miles from the gas station at Chino to back home again.

Robert thanks for the spot on the mine road and for the yummy yam, salad and garlic bread at camp. I?ll admit I was a tad bit scared after the rock rolled under my rear control arm. Jason thanks for inventing the new arm signal for whoop-d-do. Kendra, you can ride with me anytime I had a blast with you in my Jeep.

Ron out did himself with the tastiest homemade strawberry short cake and ice cream bars. What a treat that was .

Alex, I washed my Jeep today and my new pinstripes are minimal at best. How did yours do? Thank you for the pictures. The camp picture was a riot to take, running back and forth to set the timer and then everyone talking and retaking the picture.

Ron, my thanks to you, April and Mac for your hospitality on Wednesday night. I enjoyed having a comfy bed to sleep in and fresh coffee and breakfast to awake to.

Thanks to all for a memorable trip!

PS. I only drove as fast as Ron did
Old 04-16-2003, 12:25 AM

.........PS. I only drove as fast as Ron did

After we drove down a dead end road to Lava Falls Hiking Trail to see if it had a view (it didn't), I took off back to the main trail figuring to give the dust time to settle before the next Jeep left.
I figured this was a good time to let it hang out with no witnesses to a little race type driving. I pulled up to the main road with a big grin and went to arrange some things while I waited for the others. Wait hell! Kat and "Big Cloud" were right on my butt the whole way.
Kat and Kendra were getting their share of "race type" driving on plenty of those flat sweeping turns that were to be had on the many miles of dirt roads.
Never a boring moment!
Old 04-16-2003, 12:14 PM

Big Thanx

Ron,
My sincere thanx for helping to organize and lead this trip - it was a trip that will bring Kendra and myself many fond memories for a long time to come. We both had a blast and it was great being able to share my love of both Jeeping and exploring with my daughter and some really good firends from this board.

Alex,
Great to finally meet up with you in person and I certainly hope we can do it again sometime soon. A nice fall trip into Monument Valley sounds like a great way to make that happen. XJ's make for a very nice ride and I appreciate you playing taxi driver for me - hear that Paul

Art,
Another way cool trip in the bag for us - its pretty neat that we still manage to get out on trips together after our first attempt at Calico some 4+ years ago.

Jason,
Doubtful that you will get your YJ up anything tougher than the Savanic Mine Rd - nice piece of driving and we enjoyed your company.

Kathryn,
I want to especially say thank you for the time you spent with Kendra. It was gratifying to hear the both of you over the CB laughing and chuckling away. You got the ultimate compliment in kid terms from Kendra - when I asked her if she had a good time, she pointed out that she had a really good time the day she rode with you and that you were in her words - pretty cool
Old 04-16-2003, 03:59 PM

For the record- Robert rode around with me all day and had nothing but nice things to say about XJ's. I can't wait to do it again in Monument Valley!
Old 04-17-2003, 11:17 AM

Where's all the pictures! I wanna see pictures!
I didn't take many so I wanna see yours!
Tanks,
Ron
Old 04-17-2003, 05:10 PM

Post As requested, here's all I got

Quote:
Originally posted by TJRON
Where's all the pictures! I wanna see pictures!
I didn't take many so I wanna see yours!
Tanks,
Ron
I didn't take very many either, but here are a few

or just go here for more.
http://www.justaddrocks.com/grand_canyon.htm
Old 04-18-2003, 08:51 AM

Thanx kathryn
Old 04-18-2003, 03:18 PM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Wow, what cool pics everyone. I'm getting really tired of living vicariously through you westerners...

One day.....
Old 04-18-2003, 05:19 PM

Thanks Jeep Kat. I B cool on the poser rock.
Old 04-19-2003, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Handlebars
Joe- Ron told us a story about some mock bullfighting and said that you had some photos of the event... care to share them with us?
This is the only one I have in my Fototime album. This one, Ron took of me playing Matador,.....chicken style (notice my foot coming up gettin' ready to haul a$$!) LOL

I have 1 or 2 more of Ron playing matador that I'll try to dig up.
Old 04-19-2003, 06:39 AM

Hey Joe!
What happened when that bull backed up to the fence?
Old 04-19-2003, 10:39 AM

Thumbs up Go Joe! Go Ron!

Thanks for the pic! I'd love to see Ron in action too!
Old 04-19-2003, 11:39 PM

Re: Go Joe! Go Ron!

Quote:
Originally posted by Handlebars
Thanks for the pic! I'd love to see Ron in action too!
Here ya' go...
Old 04-20-2003, 08:37 AM

I was using an invisble cape as the bull had invisible horns.......
Old 04-20-2003, 11:25 AM

Ron, you were entertaining that bull so loooooong.....the snow melted.

Actually, Ron gave a hand at it first & made it look easy. It looked like fun, so I had to give it a shot too.....

Here's Ron with the set of horns he took from that bull.