Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 03-25-2009, 03:57 PM

Send a message via MSN to Xian2832 Send a message via Yahoo to Xian2832
Angry Emission headache

ok so its time for the yearly state and im but this year is a pain in the ass .02 over the first test so I put better gas in the it ran .62.....ok changed the oil and put cleaner in the gas and oil 2.47 F#@* changed the wires and sparkplugs 3.20..............so before I put some termite on the block and walk away any ideas.

Also there is a pain I have with this the check engine light is on (has been for over a year) the codes say 02 sensor but that has been replaced several times its a 95 wrangler with a 98 4banger and 140k miles.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:42 AM

First, how many 02 sensors does your YJ have? Two? Which one did you replace? Second, what temperature thermostat is installed? If the engine is running too cool, it'll never pass the smog test. It needs to be running the correct 195 degree thermostat and the engine needs to be fully up to temperature before the smog test begins. Actually, to a point, the hotter the engine is the better chance it has of passing the test.

"Better gas" can actually leave more deposits behind, I wouldn't run a higher octane than is needed to prevent pinging... which is all octane does. Higher octane does not equate to "better"... though the gasoline manufacturers are guilty of making people think it is because they make a lot more profit on it.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:27 AM

Send a message via MSN to Xian2832 Send a message via Yahoo to Xian2832
So Im not that good at replying back I did get it to pass after going with a better choice for the gas instead of higher octane and the thermostat well thats getting replaced due to my radiator plug blew leaving me with no coolant and an over heated engine that is now foaming at the pour cap on my radiator I still haven't seen any milky signs of a blown head gasket but hey I needed something to do right?

Thanks for you help