Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 11-06-2008, 01:53 PM
dennisuello

Question Solid stock links

A guy I know offered to make me some suspension/steering links from scrap solid stock they have (he works for a large machine shop). What type of solid stock would be comparable to DOM tube in strength in the same OD? I need an upper control arm and panhard bar made.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:18 PM
Reggae

Are you going to heat-treat the links?
Old 11-07-2008, 06:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisuello View Post
A guy I know offered to make me some suspension/steering links from scrap solid stock they have (he works for a large machine shop). What type of solid stock would be comparable to DOM tube in strength in the same OD? I need an upper control arm and panhard bar made.
Any of the normal steels 1018, 1020 will be fine. Shy away from Ledalloy if you can as it's a bit weaker, but machines really nicely.

Solid in the same diameter as tube of the same material is always stronger. DOM is just tube that been Drawn Over a Mandrel to smooth out the ID and work harden the material a bit. (sorta)

Given the ease that one can weld in tube adapters and buy tubing, I wouldn't bother with solid stock due to the additional weight. (if that matters to you)