Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 12-06-2008, 10:11 AM

Bent a Walker Evans rim.

I did not do it, but my 11 year old nephew did. Let him drive and he thought he was thru the rocks, hit the skinny pedal and hit a rock. Dented the inside of the rim. Against my better judgement, I decided to beat it with a hammer. Most of the dent came out and the leak stopped, but I cracked the rim. I really wanted to add heat before I pounded on it but the so called "expert" said heat was not necessary. After it crack he said he never seen that before. Anyways I still need to get the rest of the dent out of the rim, then want someone to weld it up for me. I really know nothing about this and would like some advice before going forward.

Thanks,

Joel
Old 12-06-2008, 10:36 AM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

was the same person that dented it the "expert" in repairing it?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 12-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
I did not do it, but my 11 year old nephew did. Let him drive and he thought he was thru the rocks, hit the skinny pedal and hit a rock. Dented the inside of the rim. Against my better judgement, I decided to beat it with a hammer. Most of the dent came out and the leak stopped, but I cracked the rim. I really wanted to add heat before I pounded on it but the so called "expert" said heat was not necessary. After it crack he said he never seen that before. Anyways I still need to get the rest of the dent out of the rim, then want someone to weld it up for me. I really know nothing about this and would like some advice before going forward.

Thanks,

Joel
Beat it the rest of the way with some heat to get it where you want it. Take it to a good aluminum welder who will then tell you what he needs to weld it up. Likely he will V out the crack on one side, weld it up and then do the same to the other side.

You can take your time with some flap discs and a die grinder and re-shape it well enough to look like new if you are careful.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Beat it the rest of the way with some heat to get it where you want it. Take it to a good aluminum welder who will then tell you what he needs to weld it up. Likely he will V out the crack on one side, weld it up and then do the same to the other side.

You can take your time with some flap discs and a die grinder and re-shape it well enough to look like new if you are careful.
Thanks Blaine, I love those flap discs and thought about doing that.

Joel