Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 02-08-2004, 03:49 PM

Question auto trans offroad

Is it ok to offroad with an automatic? Yeah - I know its lame.
Old 02-08-2004, 04:04 PM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Why do you think it is lame???

You're at a site where most of the people here that wheel have autos and for what they do... it's the best thing out there.
Spinning complacently in the darkness, covered and blinded by a blanket of little lives, false security has lulled the madness of this world into a slumber. WAKE UP!!! An eye is upon you, staring straight down and keenly through, seeing all that you are and everything that you can never be. Yes, an eye is upon you, an eye ready to blink.

So face forward with arms wide open and mind reeling. Your future has arrived... are you ready to go?
Old 02-08-2004, 04:10 PM

I guess because when i told people i was getting an automatic jeep thats what they said - i dont think its lame for regular driving but im wondering about offroading and if it creates any problems?
Old 02-08-2004, 04:14 PM
Arizona Chick

Send a message via ICQ to Wind_Danzer Send a message via AIM to Wind_Danzer Send a message via Yahoo to Wind_Danzer
Well if you are near mud and water, you could kill the trans. I did. It doesn't have a breather hose and the breather is right under the shifter area. Not very high.

Engine breaking isn't as strong as a manual.

No overdrive but that's not a big deal.

I'm sure others will add more once they get back home from JV.
Spinning complacently in the darkness, covered and blinded by a blanket of little lives, false security has lulled the madness of this world into a slumber. WAKE UP!!! An eye is upon you, staring straight down and keenly through, seeing all that you are and everything that you can never be. Yes, an eye is upon you, an eye ready to blink.

So face forward with arms wide open and mind reeling. Your future has arrived... are you ready to go?
Old 02-08-2004, 04:59 PM

newb question whats JV?
Old 02-08-2004, 05:04 PM
Reggae

JV is a place where everyone who doesn't have an automatic transmission wishes he or she had one.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:51 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
JV is a place where everyone who doesn't have an automatic transmission wishes he or she had one.
LOL

....... and no I've got the 5spd (the handthrottle is a welcome addition though)
Old 02-08-2004, 07:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to blupupher Send a message via Yahoo to blupupher
Quote:
Originally posted by Cq94
newb question whats JV?
Johnson Valley. A set of trails (actualy 1 real long hard obstical from what I have seen/heard).
Old 02-08-2004, 09:04 PM

Johnson Valley is an OHV area about 20 miles from Yucca Valley, Ca. Means Dry Lake is the staging area for many trails in the area and sites of several world class rock crawling competitions.
Many of the toughest rock trails reside here. Most are known by having "hammer" in the name, thus called the "hammer" trails.
Clawhammer, Jackhammer, Sledgehammer, Sunbonnet, Outer limits, Backdoor, and more.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:53 AM

Automatics work well off road. I have a 5 speed, wheel with several converts to auto's, they all love them.

Johnson Valley is the largest OHV area in the US. Means Dry Lake, and the Hammer's are only a small part of it. The Hammer's trails are considered to be the Mecca of Rockcrawling by most.

Here's a great link for the Hammer's trails...

http://www.larks.net/story_archive/johnson/index.html

91yj, SOA
Old 02-09-2004, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bob91yj
Automatics work well off road. I have a 5 speed, wheel with several converts to auto's, they all love them.

Johnson Valley is the largest OHV area in the US. Means Dry Lake, and the Hammer's are only a small part of it. The Hammer's trails are considered to be the Mecca of Rockcrawling by most.

Here's a great link for the Hammer's trails...

http://www.larks.net/story_archive/johnson/index.html
Great link.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:34 AM

Quote:
I guess because when i told people i was getting an automatic jeep thats what they said - i dont think its lame for regular driving but im wondering about offroading and if it creates any problems?
The only problem I can think of is that people will call you a wuss for driving an auto. They will also tell you that you must not be capable of driving a stick, or you would have one.

IMHO, the auto is better in most offroad situations. It is easier on your drivetrain. You have more control, and you will never have to inhale fumes from a smoking clutch lining. I know people that have converted from stick to auto for offroad driving. I know no one who has gone the other way.

Having said that, my personal preference is manual, for no better reason than I enjoy driving it.

If you like the auto, get the auto and know that it will perform better than the stick offroad for most situations.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:37 AM

Virtually all purpose built competiton buggies have auto's, if you need to call manhood into it.

91yj, SOA
Old 02-09-2004, 10:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to bitman
It's personal preference.

I've owned two Wranglers ... the first, a YJ, was a manual. Great vehicle, but fighting the clutch in stop-and-go traffic truly sucked. I was a mall-Jeeper then and rarely went offroad.

Eight years later I bought my auto TJ. Much nicer in that same stop-and-go traffic ... and the auto gives me infinite control while wheeling. I have the same tranny as Wind_Danzer ... and that sucks, but I know the hazard and I avoid the deep water and mud. It'll be corrected on my first rebuild.

Knowing what I do now, and having wheeled with lots of guys/gals with both autos and manuals, I am really glad I went with the auto.

Dave
Old 02-09-2004, 10:48 AM

Talking good to know

Ok thats great to know - thanks all.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:48 AM

FWIW,
The vent location on the TJ auto tranny can be modified by relocating the vent to the tail housing and running the breather up under the hood. Its not easy but if the tranny needs to be serviced, its a good time to do it and is inexpensive when combined with other work.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:14 AM

Exclamation Advantages of a manual tranny

Compression braking, fuel economy (range), and for some, they are considered 'fun'.

That's where it ends.

I have a 5 speed and although I won't change it out, I wish I had an auto when I'm in Moab.

Since my vehicle is a DD, I do like the manual. If it became a recreation only rig and I was doing mostly rocks, I would change it to a 4 speed auto.

Old 02-09-2004, 11:20 AM

I have bigger than factory tires and no lift or skid plating yet - is it safe to do some light offroading basically no big rocks and what not?

c

www.grafiqa.com for the best in print and web.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I have bigger than factory tires and no lift or skid plating yet - is it safe to do some light offroading basically no big rocks and what not?

c
Sure, a stock Wrangler with any kind of tranny is ready for the trail and can do far more in stock form than you are probably imagining it can.

I only caution you that skidplates for the gas tank and oil pan should be considered part of the basics of getting your Jeep ready for offroading. There's nothing like something sharp poking a hole in either of them to ruin your whole day. Also offroad with someone else in another Jeep or other 4x4 vehicle. Not only will that be more fun, the two of you can assist each other if you should get stuck. A hookless tow strap (the kind with sewn loops at the ends) and frame-mounted tow hooks (front and rear) should also be considered as part of the basics.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:45 AM

Talking great

Although someone just told me that jeeps come with skid plates by default is that true?

Old 02-09-2004, 11:50 AM

Re: great

Quote:
Although someone just told me that jeeps come with skid plates by default is that true?
There is one skidplate underneath the transfer case, but none elsewhere like is needed for the oil pan and gas tank.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:57 AM

Cool Good to know

In that case - where should i get the plates - and is installing them easy enough? - ALso in regards to air bags - do people disengage them before they go offroading? it would seem to me that everytime you hit a hard bump the things would open?

c

Old 02-09-2004, 12:00 PM

There are many different skid plates available for every aspect of the TJ. Before purchasing an aftermarket one for your gas tank or transfer case, I'd try and find a stock one on ebay or from a local Jeeper that has taken his/hers off.

After you trash that you'll be ready to do the work required to get a belly up skid on.

Jeff
Old 02-09-2004, 01:00 PM
Reggae

I wheeled my jeep stock for long time with no additional skid plates just fine.

Airbag is there to protect you. There is no need to disengage it just because you are going to drive off-pavement.

If things "open" when you hit a hard bump, perhaps you may want to reduce the speed.

Please be safe, and enjoy!
Old 02-09-2004, 01:07 PM

Even severe up-down or sideways bumps won't set the airbags off. The airbag sensor can only actuate with straight-ahead collisions and won't go off unless it's really needed. In the 8 years I've been participating in various Jeep discussion groups, I've yet to hear of an airbag going off while someone was offroading their Jeep, at least not unless it went over a cliff or ran into something solid at 25 mph!
Old 02-09-2004, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
I wheeled my jeep stock for long time with no additional skid plates just fine.

Airbag is there to protect you. There is no need to disengage it just because you are going to drive off-pavement.

If things "open" when you hit a hard bump, perhaps you may want to reduce the speed.

Please be safe, and enjoy!
It must take a hell of a hit to make it go, I smacked a rock a bit too hard up at the con and it didn't budge. The airbag didn't go off either.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to RipCurl
Don't worry about the airbags, it takes a LOT to set them off. Unless you're planning on baja racing, they shouldn't be of much concern.

That being said, welcome to the world of Jeepin. I suggest you hook up with a local club. They can teach you a lot, and it's always nice to have people around who know what they are doing. That's how I learned. I used to go blasting through muddy fields just like the next guy, and thought I was wheelin. I didn't have a clue. Then one day I hooked up with a club, on an actual trail run, and they showed me what my Jeep was really capable of. They also showed me some proper recovery techniques. I picked up a lot of tips on driving as well. I've been on a ton of organized and unorganized trail runs now, and I'm really glad that I learned how to do things the right way early on. I can't say enough about what a club can do for a novice wheeler.

"There is only one true American sports car... the Jeep."
Enzo Ferrari
Old 02-09-2004, 10:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to bitman
Agree with Jerry about the need for skidplates. That really was the first significant $$ I spent on my Jeep.

Depending on the year of your Jeep, and your need to push the limits of your skidplates you may find you can forgo an improved gas tank skid for awhile. My 2002 TJ skid is significantly different than (at least) some previous years, and has sustained many-a-hit. On the other hand, I would definitely invest in a good oil pan skid plate before hitting too many rocks.

Be careful though ... it's a slippery slope. You'll soon find yourself "Just Emptying Every Pocket" as you catch the bug!

Welcome!

Dave