Go Back   JeepBBS > What Where When > Overlanders Unlimited
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Overlanders Unlimited This is a forum to discuss expedition vehicles and trailer options, a place to talk about builds, modifications, and designs, as well as past and future adventure trips.

Old 09-16-2003, 09:03 AM

Western US - February

Long story behind this trip but in a nutshell, my skiing partner whom I met in ski club in junior high school some 32 years ago (yes I am that old!) and I are headed on a month long skiing roadtrip beginning mid February and into March.

We have been skiing together regularly all these years so while that makes this trip a tad unique in one sense, medical circumstances also impact when or if, we will ever have another chance to do this together again so its got to be this season.

We do not have any specific destinations in mind at the moment and will be following the snow more than anything else. We will be starting off in Park City where he lives and hope to hit Jackson, Montana, BC (Fernie ect.) and then loop over to the Seattle area to ski the Cascades (Baker, Crystal) and then down to Tahoe for the finale'.

Not having much in the way of firm plans at this point in time makes this more of a heads up to folks as anything else. We are however, looking for folks to ski or board with us along the way - locals showing us the kind stashes would be the bomb - and maybe for some Jeep folks to possibly let us bunk up for a couple of days along the way to help preserve cash. Thanx in advance.
Old 09-20-2003, 09:41 AM
Banned

Mt. Ashland, and between Ashland and Klamath Falls can be fun, especially for x-country. Mt Ashland can get tons of snow, or have very little new snow in Feb, just depends. Sometimes it's coming down like no tomorrow and sometimes it seems a month goes by with very little of the white stuff. If it's coming down, Mt Ashland is typically very nice for both skis and boards. And again, for x-country, the scenery there and some of the other winter snow parks in So Oregon is hard to beat.

As a heads up, you can be ticketed for not carrying chains (regardless of current conditions), so whatever you're driving, you need to carry chains in many parts of Oregon during the winter months, even with 4wd. So, make sure you've got at least one set sitting in the vehicle if you come through the state during February.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:02 PM

Robert, Sun Valley is a few hours from me; pretty much East of here. If you are going anywhere near here-you have a place to crash. We have a local ski area that is small about 16 miles from Boise-Bogus Basin. They say it is especially good for night skiing.
I don't ski or board.
Old 09-23-2003, 10:36 AM

Thanx Don,
I was talking to my friend the other night and it seems he may have a connection in Sun Valley which would be cool as I have never skied there. Maybe on the drive through if we make it that way, we can hook up for at least some dinner.

I've heard of Bogus Basin but I have also heard more about Schweitzer Mt. near Cour d Alene (sp?) Without having a map handy, is that anywheres near you?
Old 09-23-2003, 07:12 PM

Coeur d'Alene is quite a drive-at least 6 hours in good weather. Feb is not a good time to drive up there.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:47 PM

If you decide to go into Colorado, let me know. A friend there works in the ski business.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:11 AM

Where? We could always go if its some place we want to ski
Old 09-30-2003, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
Where? We could always go if its some place we want to ski
My friend lives in Boulder, CO, mostly, but his wife works doing ski trip type stuff in Vail during the season. I spent 4 days with them this past summer wheelin' & having a GREAT time in Frisco, CO (their second home) & Leadville, CO!

If you'd like, I can call them up & see what type of ski opportunities they might be able to arrange. Just let me know.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:42 AM

We are going to try and ski at places neither of us have been to before. Although I like Vail and Breckenridge, we've BTDT so no real need to call your friends Joe. Thanx for the offer though - much appreciated.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to JMyerz Send a message via Yahoo to JMyerz
Ruby Mts., NV <-- Must Go

Wallowas, OR <-- Eastern Side near Idaho, Again a must go.

Mt. Hood / Cascades <---Pass it up

Mt Bachelor <--- Very good or very bad - Depends on snow

Thats all I can think of right now.

Have fun!!! I'm very jealous

Justin