Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 02-21-2006, 07:27 PM

Performance friction pads/Autozone exchange policy ?

I went into Autozone today to exchange my perf. friction front pads (as I have done in the past, albeit a while ago) only to be told that Perf. Friction is no longer limited lifetime warranty and there was nothing they could do for me eventhough my original reciept has LLW on it.

They said Perf. Friction are now 2 year warranty, and as my org. reciept was dated 2000, I was kicked out the computer for warranty.

Anyone run into this or are you guys still getting your pads swapped?

I'm more curious than angry, as I always thought that particular Autozone policy was a "too good to be true" type of thing to take advantage of while one could.

So what is everyone else that turned me onto this doing? Still getting the pads, or have you moved on?
Old 02-21-2006, 08:01 PM

I didn't get my PF pads through normal channels - so I guess I have no recoarse. They seem to be holding up fine though.

On the other hand......I tend to go through $$$ tranny clutches instead of relatively cheap brake pads. <insert bangtard here>
Old 02-21-2006, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Dillard
<SNIP>
On the other hand......I tend to go through $$$ tranny clutches instead of relatively cheap brake pads. <insert bangtard here>

Who's been building the tranny for you.
Sounds like several times.

Fred
Suspension - 4.5" Currie Suspension Lift + 2" PA body lift, RS9000 Shocks, Currie front adjustable track bar. Currie Tie Rod and Drag Link, Currie Anti-Rock Sway Bar, Currie control arms. RE adjustable rear track bar.
Axles & Lockers - Dana30/Dana44; LockRite/Full Detroit; 4.56.
Drivetrain - AA SYE and CV Driveshaft, Tera 2wd lo.
Armor - Full
Wheels - 35x12.50 R15 MT/R's sipped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
Recovery - Warn XD9000i
Old 02-21-2006, 08:29 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

The local AutoZone here had a sign up several months ago stating that the PF pads were now 2 years.

I would go back and talk with the manager. It doesn't seem fair that a pair of pads sold with a LLW can all of a sudden be changed AFTER the sale. Yes, I can see the new ones they give you being limited to 2 years, but not the ones that were bought with the previous guarantee.

It would be no different than you buying a new car....and then 36 months after you bought it, the dealer says sorry, we changed our mind and that 10 year 100,000 mile warranty you paid for is now only 24 months long....oh, and since you brought it in for warranty work, you'll have to pay for that new power steering pump and catalytic converter.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:37 PM

I put PF pads on the van - they told me the same thing - Warantee has changed.

I still think they are the best pad for the buck so it's okay with me.

Jeff
Old 02-22-2006, 12:10 AM

I agree with you Stu. That's what I tried explaining to the counterguy while pointing to the LLW portion of the reciept today.

Seeing as how I got about 3 or 4 sets of pads out of the one purchase, I'm not going to be too upset.

I'll talk to the regional manager just to see what he'll say about it, but I don't think I'm going to press that hard.

I got new pads with the calipers I just bought, so I'm set for awhile. I'll pick up another set of Perf. friction pads down the road when I need to.

(and rememeber to swap them with in 2 years )
Old 02-22-2006, 12:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to chef
My mom's van had a sticky caliper or something, I had to change the pads every 3 months. It was alright at first, I'd just swap the pads out, but then Kragen decided not to allow that anymore and I had to start paying for them again :P
Old 02-22-2006, 08:47 AM

They replaced the ones for my Jeep with another set but Autobone then told me I was done on the warranty and would have to buy another set. Try another Autobone maybe. Those places are about like Starbucks with one on every other corner.

I guess us Jeep folk got PF to reconsider their policy
Old 02-22-2006, 09:41 AM

I just bought a set for the wifes Sequoia a week ago. They explained the warranty change to me, but I did ask them about previous pads under the full warranty. The guy told me they would refund the originals, than I could buy back the new pads with the new warranty. Go back and ask them to do that. It really shouldn't be a problem.
HEEP
Old 02-22-2006, 10:05 AM

Well, sounds like I need to find a different autozone.

The counterguy I was dealing with was a "Mr.Idon'tfeellikebeingbotheredwithitrightnow" type of guy.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:10 AM

Got to love customer service. Most of these guy don't understand that without us there jobs go away. You might even go back to that one and try some other counterperson. I wonder if you went back and just asked for your money back instead it might be different? You have your receipt, try that approach.
HEEP
Old 02-22-2006, 10:25 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Quote:
Originally posted by speaceman
Well, sounds like I need to find a different autozone.

The counterguy I was dealing with was a "Mr.Idon'tfeellikebeingbotheredwithitrightnow" type of guy.
Van Nuys Blvd. @ Magnolia across from Center Jeep? That place hasn't impressed me by any means.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Weston
Van Nuys Blvd. @ Magnolia across from Center Jeep? That place hasn't impressed me by any means.
LOL. Bingo.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthTJ
Who's been building the tranny for you. Sounds like several times.
I was actually just joking around.

To answer your question about tranny work, I had MIT (which are near where I live) rebuild my AX-15 ~7 years ago, which was just two years after AAMCO "rebuilt" it.

The AAMCO rebuild lasted ~2 years while MIT's rebuild has lasted 7+ years. I did replace the clutch master cylinder ~2 years ago.