Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 09-04-2001, 09:54 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Currie steering setup?

Will changing my stock steering (with the exception of an RE tierod) over to the Currie setup eliminate this nagging problem:

After just about every trip to the Rubicon the steering wheel has been just a bit off. Not thinking much of it I just re-centered the wheel. I started to notice that the rod end was making slight contact with the swaybar mount but didn't seem to be causing many problems. Well, after a trip to the Dusy/Ershim this past weekend, the steering wheel is off again, the passenger side swaybar mount is bent a bit and the steering stabilizer has a bend in it too. Clearly, the stock tierod is bending, no? Can this be beefed up or is that a losing battle? I seem to remember Robert speaking of having trouble locating a Currie setup. Are these in short supply (like I should get on a waiting list)? Although nothing seems to be in grave danger, I'd like to fix it before my next trip out (hopefully Rubicon at early next month, fingers crossed).

Thank you!

Jeff
Old 09-05-2001, 05:18 AM
Administrator

Welcome to the world of stock draglinks. That is a very common problem. You are unbending your draglink and not the tie rod.

The Currie set up is being redone by the manufacturer to beef it up a bit. They are stock replacements and will be ready in a month or two.

There have been two instances of theirs unbending also. They have stopped sales until the problem can be fixed. Not Curries fault, but their responsibility. All draglinks that have been sold to date will be replaced at no cost to the customer. Just tracking that is a nightmare, hence the reason for discontinued sales of the product.

Just an interesting FYI, the setup is heat treated chromemolly. Oversize to boot.

To solve your problem Jeff. Buy a new draglink and keep the old one as a trail spare. When the new Currie version comes out, buy it and keep the old set up as a spare and toss the worst one.

It is not who you know, It is who knows you
Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps.
Which is more important, the degree or education?
Old 09-05-2001, 09:47 AM

Thanks for the scoop Blaine. Is that draglink a dealer item or can you get them at an autoparts store (perhaps where you guys got the ZJ tierods? If so, which chain carries them). FWIW, my dad's YJ needed a new fuel pump which the dealer wanted nearly $400 for. Autozone had a lifetime replacement one for $70! Oh yeah, if you hear of the Currie setup coming back to market can you drop a line? Much Thanks!

Jeff
Old 09-05-2001, 10:00 AM

Jeff,
Do find that when your steer ahead is off, that your toe is also out with that Blaine hooked you up with the solution - the Currie stuff is the way to go but I will be carrying a spare steering box from now on though as that seems to me to be what will go next if its not something at the knuckle

As for the stock draglink - I was quoted $187 as a dealer only item - ish, way to much, particularly if you know you will either bend it again or are going to replace it with the Currie so MA is to give Scottys' in Fontana a call and see if they have one off a TJ that has been rear ended. I am guessing that you could pick one up for half of the dealer price or less. I am going to pick up a steering box from them for $100 if thats any indication.

BTW, you gotta give us the play by play on the Dusy - I am hoping to hit both that and the Rubicon next summer.

98 TJ Sport
D44ARB/D30Detroit/Teralow/Swampers
www.geocities.com/yatezess/
Old 09-05-2001, 07:08 PM

On the way home from a meeting in beautiful downtown Riverside I decided to stop at Don-A-Vee Jeep in Bellflower for a good laugh on a stock draglink. If you can believe it they wanted $215! I shoulda' known better than to even waste my time. D-A-V Jeep has got to have the highest parts prices of any Jeep dealership around. Yes, they offer you a 10% discount if you purchased your vehicle from them but that only brings you closer to what everybody else is charging. Anyway, I'm getting off on a tangent. Both Kragen and Autozone told me it's a dealer only item so I'll check into Scotty's (thx Robert) for a stopgap measure.

As for the Dusy, I'll post a quick blurb in the general forum.

Jeff
Old 09-06-2001, 06:59 AM

Jeff,
I have a stock one sitting on my garage floor. If you want it, I can't guarantee its perfect, but it didn't hit and hasn't been straightened.

Let me know via email.
Seth

Humpty Dumpty Land: Formerly Tightey Whitey World
Old 09-06-2001, 09:22 AM
Banned

Jeff,

Seth's deal sound like a good one. If you are far you can go to an auto parts place and ask for a Moog replacement. They are cheaper than stock if you talk to the guy.

Jim B.

97TJ El Niño, Mods listed on Web Site.
JJB@worldoversea.com
http://www.jeep.worldoversea.com
Jeep Rater Score: 42
Old 09-06-2001, 11:24 AM

So far I haven't found an auto parts store that carries the draglink.

Seth, are you talking about the draglink or tierod? If draglink, what have you replaced yours with, a Currie setup. Although not ideal, my RE tierod has held up so far.

What I'm thinking of trying is to put the draglink in my press and bend it back enough to clear the swaybar mount. Then, I'll try to weld some sort of gusset to beef it up a bit.

I'm assuming it's okay to bend it in a press since I remember hearing of others bending their ZJ replacement tierods in a press.

Opinions

Jeff
Old 09-06-2001, 12:03 PM

Jeff,
I spoke too soon... turns out my drag link is gone, I didn't realize I had committed it elsewhere.

Sorry.
sEth

Humpty Dumpty Land: Formerly Tightey Whitey World
Old 09-06-2001, 02:22 PM
Banned

Jeff,

We just got back from TN and a friend and I both had the Currie setups. He completely bent the draglink inward while his tie rod was a mess. I bent the tie rod pretty bad at one end, took down the draglink down yesterday and it was bent at the beginning of the threads and slightly along the tie rod connection. We both finished the trail and drove back to camp without replacing anything. They did not pretzel like the stock ones do sometimes.

When I used to have the RE tie rod it held up fine, it would bend when it was hit but some how it bounced back. I still have this as my back up. Stock draglinks, I would go through one every three hard trips. I would bend them out until no longer able to do so.

My plans are to straighten the currie draglink and tie rod. Blaine had a good idea to have them heat treated, still thinking on this. I called Currie and they advised that they would replace and send out a complete new set in 2 months at no charge since they are aware of the manufacturing problem.

Go ahead and bend the draglink out on the press if it's not that bad, I've done this before to clear the passenger side brackets, I would also keep using the RE tie rod. When the currie steering comes out in two months you might want to consider looking at one. Even with the problem of the weak spot at the tie rod connection of the draglink, it has held up much better than any other draglink I've ever owned.

Jim B.

JJB@worldoversea.com
Old 09-07-2001, 09:30 PM
Banned

Jeff, heat the sway bar mount with a torch and bend it up a tad. You can also take a grinder to it to clearance it a bit. This won't solve any problems with drag links unbending but it'll keep the steering from rubbing you the wrong way.
I took a torch and grinder to mine a long time ago and the sway bar hasn't fallen off yet.

http://www.dehesa4x4.com/bkilby/
Old 09-09-2001, 06:42 AM

Well they do the cyrogenic treatment to gun barrels and knives. I know it cost about a 100 dollars for this. I'm wondering if it is worth the cost..

R/
William
Old 09-09-2001, 10:25 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brad Kilby:
Jeff, heat the sway bar mount with a torch and bend it up a tad. You can also take a grinder to it to clearance it a bit. This won't solve any problems with drag links unbending but it'll keep the steering from rubbing you the wrong way.
I took a torch and grinder to mine a long time ago and the sway bar hasn't fallen off yet.

<A HREF="http://www.dehesa4x4.com/bkilby/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dehesa4x4.com/bkilby/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE</A>>

I didn't have to push the swaybar mount up 'cause it already got pushed up plenty by the rod end hitting it.

Anyway, I took the draglink off today and bent it back using my trusty dust Harbor Freight press. Then, I welded some 1.5"x1.5"x1/4" angle iron on it to try to give it a bit of extra strength. I have no doubt it will bend again but at least it will probably bend in a different spot. I'm just hoping this gets me through until Currie starts selling theirs again. Thanks all for the suggestions.

Jeff
Old 09-10-2001, 03:41 AM
Banned

Jeff,

I've been looking around for 6 months to get a press for the old garage as these are very handy things to have and always wind up going to my buddy's shop. What model did you get from Harbor Freight, how is it working out for you and if you had to do it again would you have gotten something different?

Jim

Jim B.

JJB@worldoversea.com
Old 09-10-2001, 11:30 AM

Jim,

I got this press from Harbor Freight.

I chose it because it was more than strong enough for all my pressing needs yet not so large that it took up a lot of sorage space in the garage. I originally bought it to press in new bushings in my RE arms (the kind without pre-load adjusters). Like most specialty tools, you find it invaluable once you have it and no longer have to make-shift things. The only reason I'd get a larger press is if I needed the extra size which hasn't happened yet.

Jeff
Old 09-11-2001, 04:20 AM
Banned

Jeff,

Looks good, price is right. I noticed the working area being low to the ground, any problem with this?

Like you, I mainly needed to press out the rubber bushings, ujoints, and straighten out a few draglinks and tie rods

Btw, last Friday I took the currie steering, both the drag and the tie, straighten them out pretty darn close to new and sent both pieces to heat treat. For anyone that might want to do this, the material is 4340 chromoly. The tie rod can be treated normally to about 41 rockwell and the draglink has to be done with a torch due to the end bushing having a plastic fitting. I'll let everyone know how it worked out once I use it on Oct 20 which is my next beating on the TJ.

Jim B.

JJB@worldoversea.com
Old 09-11-2001, 04:26 AM
Banned

Forgot, does that press come with any plates or adapters? I just replaced the rubber bushing at upper bracket on the front axle. Even with my specialty miller tool I stripped out 3 bolts using the tool to take that sucker out and it was harder pressing it in. Being under the Jeep my arms felt like jelly.

Jim B.

JJB@worldoversea.com
Old 09-11-2001, 07:45 AM
Administrator

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim B:
Forgot, does that press come with any plates or adapters? I just replaced the rubber bushing at upper bracket on the front axle. Even with my specialty miller tool I stripped out 3 bolts using the tool to take that sucker out and it was harder pressing it in. Being under the Jeep my arms felt like jelly.

Jim B.

JJB@worldoversea.com)
[/quote]

And what were they before? Jam?

It is not who you know, It is who knows you
Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps.
Which is more important, the degree or education?
Old 09-11-2001, 09:38 AM
Banned

I knew I should have watched out for my choice of words with rif raf like you hanging around here.

Jim B.

JJB@worldoversea.com