Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-04-2007, 05:16 PM

Question Inner Oil Seal Part Number for a Dana 30?

Hi all,
I am in the process of changing the two piece front axle in my YJ to a one piece Cromolly Warn system.
(I know, polishing the turd, but what the hell, the axles were free)
Everything was going great until I noticed that there was no inner axle seal at the carrier bearing on the passenger's (long) side of the differential.
Obviously the gear oil will leak out past the axle shaft without a seal there.
The stock two piece shaft system had a sealing surface on the outer shaft, outboard of the disconnect (to keep the disconnect well lubed I suppose) but the one piece axle shaft has no sealing surface there. There is a sealing surface where the inner seal would be.
My local jeep dealer claims there are three different sizes of seals (After he figured out that a Dana 30 was a FRONT axle) But when I checked Quadratec they claim that there is only ONE size seal and that it fits EVERY jeep Dana 30. (YJ,XJ,ZJ,TJ,LJ,Etc...)

I also searched and found a write up that had a Chrysler part number, and my local Napa couldn't cross reference it.

SO...can anyone tell me if the inner axle seals from a (non Rubicon) TJ Dana 30 will fit my YJ Dana 30 Axle?

Thanks guys.

Chris
Old 10-04-2007, 07:43 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

From the write-up on my site.....

I have TJ Dana 30 shafts in my YJ. The parts you need to do this in a YJ are as follows:
-both inner and outer axles out of a TJ.
-a block off plate for the axle disconnect
-two axle seals
-diff fluid to replace the stuff you drain during the install

When putting TJ shafts into a YJ, you need to put a plate in place of the vacuum switch assembly doo hickey that is there now and seat two seals (one right by the diff and the other on the outboard of the disconnect cavity). I had these parts as part of a kit that come with Warn high strength axles. Guys who buy those shafts for their TJs don't use those parts and a fellow jeeper was very kind enough to send them to me. The Warn part numbers are:

Inner seal - 37897
Outer seal - 60006
Block off plate - 39147

The remainder of the write-up can be found at:

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/yjd3...jconvert-1.htm
Old 10-05-2007, 06:04 AM

Thanks Stu (I'm a bit embarrassed I forgot to look at your site)

What purpose does the outer seal serve?

I don't recall there being a sealing surface near the disconnect area on the warn shafts.

thanks again.

Chris
Old 10-05-2007, 08:35 AM

Useful info to have as i'm in the middle of dropping 297 cherokee shafts into my YJ 30. Thanks Stu.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:19 PM

Dana 30 Inner axle seal number...

Appears that the following part number is correct:

SKF seal #11343 (Hecho en Mexico)

I sourced mine from a NAPA auto parts store, I will be updating this thread when I actually get the new seal installed.

I just picked it up tonight, and I am too tired to mess with it now.

Later.

chris
Old 10-06-2007, 06:42 AM

Previously listed seal does NOT fit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Freak View Post
Appears that the following part number is NOT correct:

SKF seal #11343 (Hecho en Mexico)

THIS SEAL DOES NOT WORK. The ID is too small.
I am NOT a happy camper!

Later.

chris

See above.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Freak View Post
Thanks Stu (I'm a bit embarrassed I forgot to look at your site)

What purpose does the outer seal serve?

I don't recall there being a sealing surface near the disconnect area on the warn shafts.

thanks again.

Chris
Chris....I'll plead the 5th here, never having had a YJ nor seen the inside of the YJ axle housing. The write-up (on my site) has an e-mail address for the author....you might drop him a line if the address is still valid.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:26 AM

The outer seal is to keep any junk/mud/water from running down the axle tube and resting in the vacuum housing. Below are the part numbers for the seals.

inner seal - Chicago Rawhide CR11343
outer seal - Spicer 46470
Old 10-11-2007, 04:43 PM

If you want to do it with an actual seal by the differential, use 2 of National 40576s.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:33 PM

Hi Chris,
That's my YJ/TJ axleshaft swap article on Stu's superb site. I can vouch for the warn numbers as that is what I've held in my hands. As said in the article, those other numbers are what other guys have mailed back to me to help pass on the info. It sucks that it's been tough to nail down one that works for you. Unfortunately, I had a quite inadequate digital camera back then so my old pictures of the seal are not what I would call good (or even artistic.)
If you still don't possess the seal you desire, a couple possible avenues in my mind are:
Looking at what number the quadratec or 4wd websites have for the seal on the driver side of a yj dana30 diff. The warn one looked an awful lot like it.
Calling Warn themselves and seeing if they would sell you a seal kit or at least tell you the supplier part number of the one they provide.
Caliper the inside diameter of the tube and the outside diameter of the shaft and start digging through a catalog at Napa.

Hope you find what you are looking for, feel free to email if you'd like.. the gmail link is good off Stu's site.
Ty
Old 10-12-2007, 11:12 AM

Exclamation Well, MAYBE the 11343 seal WILL work...

I don't know what the heck to think:
This month's "Peterson's 4Wheel and Off Road" mention the EXACT same seal in an article, AND they even show it installed.

I banged the damn thing in there, but I am still concerned that the ID is too small, and that the axle shaft will tear the sealing surface in short time.

Can I edit past posts to reflect the current situation?

I purposely posted that the seal "would not work" after my initial post in hopes that someone else would benefit from my information.
I fear that if someone reads my "this wont work post" they might not read further to see that in fact it DID work (so far).

Anyone?