Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-08-2002, 12:17 PM
The king of shotgun debate

Factory TJ Dana 35-C and TJ Dana 44 Axle Tube Dimensions.

Factory TJ Dana 35-C and TJ Dana 44 Axle Tube Dimensions.

Hi folks, I posted this on JU a little bit ago. Thought some of you might like to see this as well.

Here is the data that I have been able to pull together on this topic.

This information was obtained by direct reading by a caliper or micrometer and not from any published material, book or opinion.

I have personally measured three (one D44, and two D35’s) of the 13 axles represented here.

I consider all measurements provided by the other folks here to be every bit as accurate or more accurate then my own.

Based on the measurements from eight (8) TJ D35-C axles tubes, and five (5) TJ D44 axle tubes, I feel comfortable in my belief that the axle tubes are the same, but for the axle end machining.

Here is the data. I am sure you will form your own conclusions.

I have absolutely no good data on any other D35 or D44, or the 8.8. But I will stand by the data presented in these tables for what was collected.

Thanks folks for helping me out with this one.

Lauti’s Axles
What I find very interesting are the dimension of Lauti’s axle tubes, both for the D35 and the D44. In both cases these tubes are larger.

Lauti lives in Austria. I would imagine his axles where made in Europe. Perhaps the standard metric stock used there is slightly different in size then what is used in the US. I just don’t know. This is speculation on my part.

Any More Data?
If anyone else has any additional measurements please email to me at email.id@worldnet.att.net or post them here. I will maintain this table and republish it with your data added. All I ask is that you be accurate in your measurements and only apply this to the factory stock TJ D35-C or TJ D44.

Hope this is helpful to some.

Frank
Old 02-08-2002, 01:22 PM

Good Work!
Ron

I like the way my Jeep is now..... I'd just like it, well, a little higher off the ground with more ground clearance!
Old 02-09-2002, 06:10 PM

Hi folks, I just updated the table at the start of this thread to reflect the data I received last evening and today on four more axle tube measurements.

Two for the TJ D35, and two for the TJ D44.

There is nothing remarkable in the new data other then additional confirmation of the other measurements.

I will continue to maintain this table for a period of time. And certainly will report any new measurements that are "significantly different" from what has already been reported.

Frank
Old 02-10-2002, 06:09 AM

How about measuring the pumpkins as well? I'd like to know if the D44 makes the tubes shorter or at least has more of the tube inside the casting. This could be the reason the D44 supposedly flexes less than the D35.

Milan
The TJ
Old 02-12-2002, 05:28 AM

Hi Folks,

I have updated the Axle table with an addition TJ D44 from a jeeper who cut a bent tube to make the measurements.

I have also updated the measurements on Lauti's axle after he was kind enough to correct himself in the interests of accuracy for all.

I tip my hat to you Laudi. You have a high level of integrity my friend.

Frank
Old 02-20-2002, 07:55 AM

I posted this to Pirate, since someone was asking. I referenced you by handle and email. Hope you´re not bent.

Bob

94 ZJ V8
Old 02-20-2002, 05:50 PM

Great work

Wow, great work. Interesting data. Regards, John V.

Will add some later
Old 02-21-2002, 06:24 PM

Hi folks,

I have updated the Axle Tube table this evening for what may be the last time. (You can find it at the top of this thread.)

I think in a few days I will try to get and/or start to collect data on D35 and D44 axle tubes on the YJ's. If anyone wishes to help and can accurately measure either the D35 or D44 tubes on your YJ you can send the data to me at emial.id@worldnet.att.net

Please be sure to send Outside Tube Diameter, Tube Wall Thickness, What Year YJ and if it is a D35 or D44.

If your axle is not from the Jeep factory please be sure to let me know that as well.

Hi Trango - Bob,

No problem at all. Information isn't worth very much if it isn't shared. Thanks!

Have a great night folks,

Frank
Old 02-21-2002, 06:33 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Milan:
How about measuring the pumpkins as well? I'd like to know if the D44 makes the tubes shorter or at least has more of the tube inside the casting. This could be the reason the D44 supposedly flexes less than the D35.

__Milan__
<A HREF="http://www.ilovejeeps.net/showthread.php?threadid=62[/quote]" TARGET=_blank>http://www.ilovejeeps.net/showthread.php?threadid=62[/quote]</A>

So how about it?

Milan
The TJ
Old 02-21-2002, 06:46 PM

I like it. Finally for those JU folks some real data dispelling rumor and conjecture.

Got Groceries ?
Old 02-22-2002, 02:47 AM

Hi Milan,

My Apologies. I intended to solicited the pumpkin measurements as well. I need to be able to crawl under my Jeep to see exactly how this can be measured and then I will put a request out for folks on this as well.

I'm only guessing now, but I would think it would be easiest and most accurate to measure each tube from the backing plate flange to were the tube enters the pumpkin. This would make for a nice straight measurement without having to deal with the curvature of the pumpkin.

Give me a few days to be able to get a measurement on my axle.

In the mean time, can you measure the drivers side and passenger tubes on your TJ? What axle do you have?

Frank
Old 02-23-2002, 07:18 AM

Since the 44 and 35 have same width flange to flange, it is just fine to measure from the end of the tubes towards the pumpkin. Otherwise a big caliper or 4 hands are needed. I have the 44. I'll try to measue my pumpkin with an angle and a level. Hopefully I can use just my own two hands for that.

I'll measure mine this evening. Going out tomorrow, so I gotta grease everything. If I knew the Tera arms needed greasing this often I would have gotten something else, I think. I have no less than 22 grease points under there.

Milan
The TJ
Old 02-23-2002, 05:47 PM

OK. It's 19.75" driver side and 20.25" passenger side. That's from the inside edge of the axle tube flange to the outside edge of the housing (where the tubes are pressed in). I'm very curious now to see other people's results.

Milan
The TJ