Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 09-17-2004, 04:53 AM

Thumbs up New Super D44 w/ARB in, a couple of question for ARB pros.

After more problems and money wasted then I care to admit. I finally broke down and installed a super D-44 with the new generation ARB. Had to use a little redneck engineering in order to hook my original brake lines but this is temp. until the new rubi lines arrive Monday. The rear disk brakes are really nice. I will not implying they have more stopping power but I now have a lot higher pedal which is nice. I used a switch bezel from a rubi that does not have a ash tray and mounted the ARB switches there, it was somewhat a PITA but the install came out real clean IMHO.

My questions, is the ARB switches seem to get pretty hot just from the illumination while driving at night. Is this normal?

Any tips advice on maintaining this system? What trail repair parts is normally carried? I did run the blue arb line in 3/8 fuel line for a little added heat/chaffing protection.

Thanks in advance for any advice.. Chuck

PS now I will not be disqualified from running with some of the prominent members IF I ever make it out west
Old 09-17-2004, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Re: New Super D44 w/ARB in, a couple of question for ARB pros.

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck K.
After more problems and money wasted then I care to admit. I finally broke down and installed a super D-44 with the new generation ARB. Had to use a little redneck engineering in order to hook my original brake lines but this is temp. until the new rubi lines arrive Monday. The rear disk brakes are really nice. I will not implying they have more stopping power but I now have a lot higher pedal which is nice. I used a switch bezel from a rubi that does not have a ash tray and mounted the ARB switches there, it was somewhat a PITA but the install came out real clean IMHO.

My questions, is the ARB switches seem to get pretty hot just from the illumination while driving at night. Is this normal?

Any tips advice on maintaining this system? What trail repair parts is normally carried? I did run the blue arb line in 3/8 fuel line for a little added heat/chaffing protection.

Thanks in advance for any advice.. Chuck

PS now I will not be disqualified from running with some of the prominent members IF I ever make it out west
What's hot? I figure they're okay until you let the smoke out and then you will need to find the problem.

Maintenance- cycle the compressor and lockers once a week or so to keep everything lubed.

Repair parts- a spare relay, spare solenoid switch, spare pressure switch. Never hear of the dash switch going bad, only seen one pressure switch die and that was from physical damage. Did loan a guy a solenoid once, but that was on a system that had been installed about 12 years ago.

The only relay I know of that went bad got sprayed full of water. Actually that's killed two of them that I know of.

And, we all know that the best way to ensure longevity of any part is to carry a spare.

Old 09-18-2004, 06:53 AM

Re: Re: New Super D44 w/ARB in, a couple of question for ARB pros.

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
And, we all know that the best way to ensure longevity of any part is to carry a spare.

seems true for everything I own *except* boat propellers.