Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 03-25-2002, 05:34 PM

Bed Mounted Tire Carriers

Anybody have pics of their bed mounted tire carriers? I don't like the weight of the tire way off the back on my canyon city rack so I have been just throwing my tire in the back of the Tub and strapping it down with the rear seat belts. I am now looking for a permenant set-up.

1999 TJ 5.5" RE, 2" BL, 35" Claws

www.beast40.com
Old 03-25-2002, 07:04 PM

I wish I had some pictures to share, but I don't. I've been doing the same thing; throwing the tire in the bed and strapping it down. I was all ready to weld up a mount on the passenger side with the tire standing upright and starting thinking about the weight and the center of mass. If you measure the center of mass height on the tailgate you will find that it's about even with the latch pin on the tub. Laying the tire down puts the center lower than it was on the gate, which is a good thing. On a 12.5 inch wide tire the bottom of the tire can be about five inches off the tub and be even with the factory center. I am trying to decide what to do as I don’t want to raise the CoG on the TJ and a spare mount, even on an angle, would do that.

Also, by moving the spare over the rear axle the weight balance of the Jeep is improved. With the spare out back behind the axle weight is actually removed from the front. Light weight is as important as weight distribution and the spare is a big old chunk of weight and a huge piece of volume to deal with. Its placement is crucial.

So here's the dilemma; how to build a device to secure the spare in a low, forward position and still have room to carry spares, tools, and supplies. It's been on the drawing board all winter and I still don't have a good solution. I hope you can come up with one and share it. Good luck and keep me posted about this, I’d like to hear what you end up with.

It's only a 4 cylinder...wait up!
Old 03-25-2002, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Thanks to Jim and his whole "wheel lighter" philosophy that he converted me to, I am now in the same boat with the same dilemma. Mine is flat in the bed and I have little room for much else. I have to air down my spare just to get it in.

I am considering making the tops of the wheel well into tool boxes semi permanently mounted and out of aluminum. They will become the home of all of my lighter weight trail supplies.

I am even getting rid of my 10 lbs. Co2 tank and going to two 5's. I can fit them into the corners up front that the tire leaves.

After that, just some sort of restraint on the tire for safety and wing it.

I am giving considerable thought to a drop down single thickness aluminum tailgate. I no longer need the heavy steel one as it no longer carries the spare. I will box in the top to still connect both sides of the tub for tub integrity.

No Garry, you are not allowed to comment on tub integrity.

It is impossible to ascertain the value of something until you have paid for it a few times.
Old 03-25-2002, 09:02 PM
ghall

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mrblaine:
No Garry, you are not allowed to comment on tub integrity.
[/quote]

Blaine:
Wachu talking about bro? The space where the rear door might fit is the only straight part on my Jeep.
Garry
Old 03-25-2002, 09:02 PM

Has anyone considered doing some sort of mount to the back of the roll cage? I know it will create a higher COG but it would leave alot of room underneath for tools and gear.

Chad

1993 4.0L Grand Cherokee Laredo Lifted
Old 03-26-2002, 05:50 AM
Administrator

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chadjans:
Has anyone considered doing some sort of mount to the back of the roll cage? I know it will create a higher COG but it would leave alot of room underneath for tools and gear.

Chad

1993 4.0L Grand Cherokee Laredo Lifted[/quote]

It has been considered. I just can't deal with the higher COG.

It is impossible to ascertain the value of something until you have paid for it a few times.
Old 03-26-2002, 06:33 AM

I'm kind of in the same dilema. My thought is to lose the tailgate alltogether and fabricate a mount that will attatch to both wheel wells and allow for the spare to sit at an angle. The wheel would partially sit out of the Jeep where the tailgate used to be. With a 38.5, it won't be much but the angle will allow for some storage in front of the tire and behind the front seats. I'd try to make it so that I could still use my soft top without any interferance.

Jeeper

Many Jeeps with Stuff
Old 03-26-2002, 07:38 AM

You could do the cheap thing that I did: Throw your spare in the tub and run a piece of allthread down through a wheel hole and into the hole where the center seat belt bracket mounts. Then washer and nut on top keeps it nice and tight. About a $5 investment. Works with up to a 38.5 SX (aired down).

I'm still able to fit all my spare parts (axle shafts, drivelines, etc), straps, etc., down in the space behind the front seats. Works very nicely for me, YMMV.
Dion

94 YJ Wrangler, soa, 36 SX, locked, gears, skids, winch, questionable judgment. Sawzall'd and flat painted.