Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 07-05-2005, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by DsrtJeeper
Just add a narrowed aluminum tub and Currie's new front bumper design and you'll have a rig like their new project. *Drool*
I guess I'm gonna have to take a look at it when I pick up my rear axle.

John is a phenomenal rig builder. My favorite rig he ever built was Rawky Road. Essentially a stock TJ on 35's that kicked just about everyone's butt in ARCA for a couple of years.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
I guess I'm gonna have to take a look at it when I pick up my rear axle.

John is a phenomenal rig builder. My favorite rig he ever built was Rawky Road. Essentially a stock TJ on 35's that kicked just about everyone's butt in ARCA for a couple of years.
I'm not familiar with Rawky Road, but I really like the Fire Ant. The newer red Jeep with yellow graphics and 40" MTR's is really nice also.
totally worn out, shouting,
"...HOLY $HIT...what a ride!"
Old 07-05-2005, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I'm not familiar with Rawky Road, but I really like the Fire Ant. The newer red Jeep with yellow graphics and 40" MTR's is really nice also.
That would be the Strangler. That's his dad, Frank's jeep. Works very well with the 4.7 out of a JGC.

Although I do get a small measure of satisfaction from having my name on the side of the Electric Green rig they built for SEMA.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:34 PM

Quote:
That would be the Strangler. That's his dad, Frank's jeep. Works very well with the 4.7 out of a JGC.

Although I do get a small measure of satisfaction from having my name on the side of the Electric Green rig they built for SEMA.
The green Unlimited with rescue lights on top? I think that was at Moab for EJS when I was there. I know Kilby's Unlimited was there. *Scratches head.*
Old 07-05-2005, 11:16 PM

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Triangulation.html

"Triangulation is the division of a surface or plane polygon into a set of triangles, usually with the restriction that each triangle side is entirely shared by two adjacent triangles."
Old 07-05-2005, 11:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
The green Unlimited with rescue lights on top? I think that was at Moab for EJS when I was there. I know Kilby's Unlimited was there. *Scratches head.*
Yep, that be the one. I helped with the lights. That's my specialty at the ambulance company.

One of these days when I happen to get in a real funky mood, I'll tell you a very cute story about Kilby's rig.

Has to do with him telling me on JU to quit being an armchair mechanic and go out and do some real engineering.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Yep, that be the one. I helped with the lights. That's my specialty at the ambulance company.

One of these days when I happen to get in a real funky mood, I'll tell you a very cute story about Kilby's rig.

Has to do with him telling me on JU to quit being an armchair mechanic and go out and do some real engineering.
Why does that not surprise me? I'll have to give you a jingle and give you some scoop as well.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:21 PM

Wasn't it Kilby who installed leaf springs under his Unlimited?
Old 07-05-2005, 11:34 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Quote:
Didn't Tennessee OffRoad have a through dash cage kit as well? I'll do a search for the 4XDR cage. Didn't know he had one either.
4XDoc doesn't sell a cage kit, he custom bends them for each Jeep. If you saw it next to an EOR or TOR "through the dash" cage you'd see why it'd be difficult to kit. The 4XDoc puts the down bars right up against the corner of the windshield frame. It really minimizes the loss of visibility out the front window, however, it requires a a few very slight bends.

If you are considering the EOR or TOR cages, I'd caution you to see one installed to see if the loss of visibility bothers you like it does me. Additionally, the EOR/TOR cages require duct modifications whereas the 4XDoc cage does not. Obviously, you're a far distance from his shop, so I'm sure you can get one to your liking done by a local fab shop.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:02 AM

Thanks for the advice; Jeff. I had a newer Dodge truck and hated the large windshield pillars. I definately want good visibility.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:30 AM
Reggae

Quote:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Triangulation.html

"Triangulation is the division of a surface or plane polygon into a set of triangles, usually with the restriction that each triangle side is entirely shared by two adjacent triangles."
Ok, I was wrong. I apologize for that. It looks like this is a third definition of the word, and my dictionary did not have it. Learn something every day.

Thank you.

Who is the nerd now?
Old 07-06-2005, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
Ok, I was wrong. I apologize for that. It looks like this is a third definition of the word, and my dictionary did not have it. Learn something every day.

Thank you.

Who is the nerd now?
You-you-you made me do it! My inner nerdiness has been exposed! I was just having fun with ya; Sergey. I was a math major. Key word is "was."
Old 07-06-2005, 11:33 AM
You are my Sunshine, my only sunshine!

Quote:
Wasn't it Kilby who installed leaf springs under his Unlimited?
He did that under his TJ. I would hope he learned his lesson and didn't wreck the unlimited.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:40 PM

Update

I thought i'd stop in and update this thread. I'm afraid in my initial frustration that I came off a bit negative in my previous post within this thread. It seems that my flop hit the sport cage in an unusual manner that has taken many by surprise. In talking to TBT; I have learned that the tubing is indeed .120 wall DOM. Do I wish I had a custom welded in cage? You betcha! To credit the bolt-on sport cages out there; many have survived some pretty ugly circumstances. Although this happened on a fairly easy trail; I have moved up the ladder where I believe i've outgrown a bolt-on solution. My original post was to ask about insurance claims and not intended to bash anyone's products.

On a good note; my insurance company is covering all modifications to the Jeep. With this new founded info; the Jeep has become more valuable. The decision is back up in the air whether the Jeep will be totaled or not. Totaled of course, would mean no more monthly payments. Meanwhile; i'm wheeling the hell out of this '05 Neon rental courtesy of my insurance company.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Re: Update

Quote:
I thought i'd stop in and update this thread. I'm afraid in my initial frustration that I came off a bit negative in my previous post within this thread. It seems that my flop hit the sport cage in an unusual manner that has taken many by surprise. In talking to TBT; I have learned that the tubing is indeed .120 wall DOM. Do I wish I had a custom welded in cage? You betcha! To credit the bolt-on sport cages out there; many have survived some pretty ugly circumstances. Although this happened on a fairly easy trail; I have moved up the ladder where I believe i've outgrown a bolt-on solution. My original post was to ask about insurance claims and not intended to bash anyone's products.

On a good note; my insurance company is covering all modifications to the Jeep. With this new founded info; the Jeep has become more valuable. The decision is back up in the air whether the Jeep will be totaled or not. Totaled of course, would mean no more monthly payments. Meanwhile; i'm wheeling the hell out of this '05 Neon rental courtesy of my insurance company.
Yes, but did it take them by enough surprise to redesign the CB rack and turn it into a cage?
Old 07-20-2005, 10:37 PM

Re: Re: Update

Quote:
Yes, but did it take them by enough surprise to redesign the CB rack and turn it into a cage?
I have no idea as Troy has not seen the cage. I posted the above response after hearing that a certain party showed this thread to Troy. The whole thread was taken very literally and negatively to the point that Troy thought I hated him and was badmouthing him and his products. Supposedly; i'm badmouthing across the internet on various forums. The only other forums that have any threads about my flop are www.virtualjeepclub.com and www.jeepaholics.com under the subject title of "Tube door crash test" that i'm aware of. Notice in each of those threads that I never even replied to them. Keep in mind that these two threads were started by a friend who manufactures the tube doors to illustrate how well they work. If I wanted to badmouth a product or business; I think I could do a much better job than what is written in this thread.

I'll repeat this one more time. I'm not publicly bashing anyone's products. The cage is what it is and I was more interested in the insurance info that I originally posted about. I just want to wheel again and be spared the drama.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Re: Re: Re: Update

Quote:
I have no idea as Troy has not seen the cage. I posted the above response after hearing that a certain party showed this thread to Troy. The whole thread was taken very literally and negatively to the point that Troy thought I hated him and was badmouthing him and his products. Supposedly; i'm badmouthing across the internet on various forums. The only other forums that have any threads about my flop are www.virtualjeepclub.com and www.jeepaholics.com under the subject title of "Tube door crash test" that i'm aware of. Notice in each of those threads that I never even replied to them. Keep in mind that these two threads were started by a friend who manufactures the tube doors to illustrate how well they work. If I wanted to badmouth a product or business; I think I could do a much better job than what is written in this thread.

I'll repeat this one more time. I'm not publicly bashing anyone's products. The cage is what it is and I was more interested in the insurance info that I originally posted about. I just want to wheel again and be spared the drama.
Just for the record, this forum is not viewable except by members.

I also did not get the impression that you were bashing the product. The pictures do speak for themselves, don't they?

Personally, I think what's good for the goose serves the gander quite well. If they can use a video to promote the rack, why not the inverse? Isn't that fair to the customer?

As far as taking a hit in an unusual manner, isn't that why we install cages?
Old 07-21-2005, 08:22 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Eric, FWIW, I did not perceive your post as a bashing of anybody's products at all. I think your pictures just corroborate the fact that while a bolt-on, low priced "sport cage" may protect the occupants, it may be a disposable item, similar to a bumper on any new vehicle. Not only do you get what you pay for, but there are trade-offs for ergonomics when it comes to cages. While I do have a custom bent, weld-in cage, I do not have nearly the triangulation required to ensure that it will not displace in a roll-over and perhaps need straightening or re-working. I was told this at the time but chose to do so anyways with that knowledge it may cost me later. That was the compromise I made to better suit the cage to the vehicle's daily driver status at the time. Now that it is a garage queen, only driven on weekends and trails, I may re-think that.

If there were any hard feelings, hopefully it will smooth itself out. You've got enough stress as it is getting your Jeep back on the road!
Old 07-21-2005, 08:43 AM

Getting ****y over some cage comments while ignoring a huge potential sale is a rather interesting take on customer service.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
Getting ****y over some cage comments while ignoring a huge potential sale is a rather interesting take on customer service.
X2
Old 07-21-2005, 06:12 PM

About 6 months ago, I left an email requesting some info. One week later, I resent the email. I never got an answer. AFAIC-this discussion with them is over.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:43 AM
Im a firm believer in that everything you say and do lead to some sort of a positive outcome. I dont have room in my life for negative people or thoughts.

Send a message via AIM to JeepGal
I found this thread at JF interesting...http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=99

I also noticed that I couldnt find the cage on Stus website anymore.

Tam
Old 07-29-2005, 01:47 PM
Im a firm believer in that everything you say and do lead to some sort of a positive outcome. I dont have room in my life for negative people or thoughts.

Send a message via AIM to JeepGal
Quote:
Originally posted by JeepGal

I also noticed that I couldnt find the cage on Stus website anymore.

Tam
I used the search function and it came to a "oops I hate when that happens" page, but upon further observation, I found it in the Guard section, under "Sports Bar"...still there... I was wrong, my fault.

Tam
Old 07-29-2005, 03:23 PM
Reggae

No need to torch anything. Run your finger inside the tube, if you feel a definite seam left from electric weld ? its not DOM. DOM stands for Drawn Over Mandrel, and the seam should be squashed flat in the process.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:25 PM

Quote:
No need to torch anything. Run your finger inside the tube, if you feel a definite seam left from electric weld ? its not DOM. DOM stands for Drawn Over Mandrel, and the seam should be squashed flat in the process.
Thanks...I'll check.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:42 PM

I had been prompted by members of various forums to measure the thickness of Troy's cage. I had a friend measure it and he came up with .105 wall with his calipers. After talking to some other metal gurus; I learned that tubing can very quite a bit in thickness. I had the tubing re-measured this afternoon and we got anywhere from .105-.115 on different sections of the cage. I was originally told that this was not .120wall, but in fact it is. Troy and Shari have both been very honest with me and I owe them this much. I just wanted to put an end to this. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:54 PM
Reggae

Tube measuring is witchcraft.

I bought a piece of tube from one place once. It was said do be a 3/4", I measured, and it's about an inch in diameter. So, I am calling the customer support, and they told me that about an inch is what a 3/4 " tube should measure. And they were right.

The tubing industry invented all these secret numbers and designations to confuse us commoners, and charge more for their services, I am telling you!
Old 07-29-2005, 06:00 PM

Quote:

I bought a piece of tube from one place once. It was said do be a 3/4", I measured, and it's about an inch in diameter. So, I am calling the customer support, and they told me that about an inch is what a 3/4 " tube should measure. And they were right.

The tubing industry invented all these secret numbers and designations to confuse us commoners, and charge more for their services, I am telling you!
It's all a conspiracy! Wooden 2x4's keep getting smaller and more expensive!
Old 07-29-2005, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Put you and the customer service monkeys in the same room and everyone gets confused.

3/4" tubing is .750 on the outside diameter. If it's tubing, that's the way it's measured.

Pipe measurements are an industry accepted designation and not an actual size related to any dimension of the pipe.

As an example- 3/4" pipe in schedule 40 measures 1.050 on the OD and is .824 on the ID for a wall thickness of .113.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
It's all a conspiracy! Wooden 2x4's keep getting smaller and more expensive!
True, but if you ever did any framing with dimensional lumber, you'd very quickly develop an appreciation for the S4S stuff we use now.