Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 07-29-2004, 03:17 PM

Center for Biological Diversity

....says this about OHV use in response to the forest management plan for the 4 forests in the So Cal Region.

Only street-legal vehicles shall be allowed on all Forest Service roads.
ORVs must be transported to trails designated
specifically for ORV use.
Off-road motorized recreation shall be permitted only on designated ORV trails.
No ORV trails shall be designated by the Forest Service leading to a wilderness boundary to reduce likelihood of
motorized trespass.
No ORV trails shall be designated by the Forest Service in riparian areas and TES habitat.
The Forest Service shall manage existing ORV areas to the standards in the Forest Service Manual in order to
minimize erosion and sediment into aquatic systems.
The Forest Service shall strictly enforce prohibitions on motorized trespass in the Forests, and violations shall receive
such penalties as fines, and impounding and forfeiture of ORVs.
The Forest Service shall limit motorized access to developed recreational facilities to primary use roads.
The Forest Service shall, within 1 year, identify and eliminate motorized recreational use in areas where it is incompatible
(e.g. riparian areas, meadows). Motorized recreation includes but is not limited to all-terrain vehicles, off-road
vehicles, motorbikes, 4x4s, snowmobiles, and motorized watercraft.
The Forest Service shall, within 3 years, develop and implement a permit system for motorized recreational users,
including but not limited to all-terrain vehicles, off-road vehicles, motorbikes, 4x4s, snowmobiles, and motorized
watercraft. Motorized recreational users will be required to obtain a permit, which will be accompanied by information
on regulations and responsible Forest use. The permit system will also assist the Forests in determining the extent
of motorized recreational use and facilitate enforcement of motorized recreation policies and regulations.
The Forest Service shall coordinate with the State OHV Commission to develop and implement a permit system
that requires each ORV to be equipped with a tread cleat that imprints the permit number of the vehicle in readable
size to enforce resource protection goals of ecosystem restoration and recovery
The Forest Service shall close trails to motorized vehicles, if the trails are near homes disturbed by ORV noise, dust,
332 gas fumes, and other pollution.
The Forest Service shall identify user conflicts with respect to motorized versus non-motorized uses; significant
recreation user conflicts shall default to non-motorized uses.
The Forest Service shall translate the fire danger of ORVs into use restrictions, including trail closures and re-routings
in areas with dangerous fuel loads during high fire season.
Forest Service law enforcement officials shall ensure that speed limits are adhered to in order to ensure the safety
of all Forest Service visitors, and to prevent resource conflicts.

Sometimes I wonder what country these people think they live in. I find it ironic that the CBD's business address is in Idlywild which happens to be smack in the middle of a National Forest. Do what I say, not as I do
Old 07-29-2004, 03:23 PM

I hope that tread cleat works in the rocks...

Once again we see our government facing the wrong direction on the environment. A large business could do more damage to the ecosystem in a week then all the 4x4s in a year.

What's the wheeling like in Canada?

Whatever...

Jeff
Old 07-29-2004, 03:26 PM

Its hard to have anything to say about such a blatant assault on individual rights and freedoms. These folks are nothing but communists IMO.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
Its hard to have anything to say about such a blatant assault on individual rights and freedoms. These folks are nothing but communists IMO.
Just wait until they add a section about off roading into the 'Patriot' act and claim that terrorist's can easily transverse the US in off road vehicles so we need to make that illegal.

Jeff
Old 07-29-2004, 04:50 PM

How do you drive a motorized watercraft in a meadow?
Old 07-29-2004, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisK
How do you drive a motorized watercraft in a meadow?
Swamp buggy
Old 07-29-2004, 08:55 PM

actually,
in lumping those vehicles together is very telling - a complete and unadulterated bias against motorized recreation.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
We have quite a few of them up here but it seems for some reason you guys are ahead of us.

It's a damn shame; California is such a beautiful state.