Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 11-26-2002, 11:05 AM

Fuel cell vs tank

Based on recent posts I know that I'm hardly unique in thinking about this, like many of you I want to relocate fuel storage forward and up to make room for other projects underneath. I'd appreciate your input on the options I see:

1. I've been thinking about an aluminum or stainless tank similar to the one Blaine described in Jim's post a few weeks back. I've got access to a spool gun that will do a good job welding either material. Dealing with the fuel pickup, fittings, pump and related issues would be a pain but would be manageable. This approach would give me a tank in the exact size, shape, and capacity that I want. The drawback? I'm nervous as hell about having a tank of fuel in the passenger compartment without the protective benefit of the foam and tough bladder associated with a fuel cell. I really have an aversion to the potential, even remote, for 3rd degree burns. No fun. I know that I could add safety foam to get baffling and reduction in the potential for explosion.

2. There are plenty of fuel cells available that would do the job functionally and by the time the job was done would probably be cheaper than building the tank. The downside of course is shape and capacity, I really don't want to give up a huge % of my available storage area or end up raising my CG dramatically. I know that ATL makes custom sized protective bladders but I don't think I even want to know what they charge.

So, considering likely accident scenarios on the trail (single / multiple rollover, fall of a small cliff, etc) as well as the potential for the normal kinds of freeway crashes would you be comfortable with a well constructed fuel tank sitting six inches behind you? Or do you believe a fuel cell with it's additional safety benefits is a necessity?
Old 11-26-2002, 12:16 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Art,

For me, I'd have to have a fuel cell. My opinion is based only on an old co-worker's story. His friend's teenage boy had a real old pickup that had the tank inside the cab under the seat. It's been a long time since he told me the story, but I recall that the boy and his friend hit a tree in front of the house. The truck caught on fire and the passenger was able to get out but not the driver. The kid was heard screaming all the way until his death.

To me, if it's inside the cab, I'd feel a whole lot safer with a fuel cell. Actually, I'd still try keep it in the stock location, making it smaller if need be for additional clearance.

Did you see the way Paul Nasvik raised his tank for more clearance?

http://www.jeepshots.com/tech/gastank.html
Old 11-26-2002, 07:01 PM

Hey Jeff - I've seen a few examples of the gas tank raised that way but Paul's is the cleanest I've seen. I've thought about that approach and like it for the simplicity. The gotcha for me is that I'm planning on some mods that really require that I get the tank pretty much completely above the the tub. Getting it further forward is a definite plus too for weight distribution.
Old 12-10-2002, 03:08 PM

Just giving myself a BTT on this since I had the bad timing to post it while many of you were wheeling over Thanksgiving.
Old 12-10-2002, 04:04 PM

Why don't you pull out your storage box, use a fuel cell mounted on the tub floor and then re-construct a new box around it? Granted you will lose storage space but as your first post indicates, some options are not all that attractive so I would think that a small loss of storage capacity would be the easiest one to live with given the potential of the others.

I'm sure you also realize that you can go with a smaller cell and carry gas in your truck for JV type trips or on an external rack on the Jeep when you are not basecamping.
Old 12-10-2002, 04:28 PM

I run a 16 gallon plastic fuel cell mounted inside the tub... I love the added clearance it gives me, but I miss the storage room on long trips. (I have a CJ5.) I agree with what you say about wanting the safety foam in the tank.

If you're looking for a custom size cell, ask a racing fabricator to build one to your specs. A bladder and foam can be added to satisfy safety concerns. This is not a cheap option (plan to spend $400 or more) but it will allow you to set it up exactly as you like.

Try Greg's Performance Engineering
Old 12-11-2002, 09:31 AM

Thanks guys, I think I will go the fuel cell route.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:06 PM

Cell for Sale in So Cal

Here is a link to a So Cal guy on JU selling a fuel cell Art.

http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/sho...hreadid=320598