Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 05-05-2002, 04:43 PM

Custom Wound Coil Springs

I'm in need of a new set of coil springs for the ZJ. Ideally, I'd like to have a pair of progressively wound springs that will yield 6.5" of lift without running spacers. Originally I had looked at RK's 7" ZJ springs but after researching them further and hearing some concerns from other RK customers I have decided to look elsewhere. I currently have National custom would coils so I would like to try a different manufacturer (I'm having some problems with the National springs). Anybody have any experience with any other manuacturers or any recommendations? I have heard of some WJ guys getting springs custom wound by Valley Spring works but they are expensive. Also, anyone have an idea on what an average price would be for a set of custom wound springs?

As far a sping rates go, I was thinking 180#/in for the front springs (V-8 w/ ARB and 9,000lb winch) and 220#/in for the rear (1/4" stell rear bumper with fullsize spare). Sound good?

Any other suggestions or comments are welcome, I've never done anything like this before.
Old 05-05-2002, 05:25 PM

I have the 5 1/2" Rock Krawler springs like Blaine's on the front. They claim to be 180#. They seemed to be much softer than the REs I had. I felt I could not run them with out some type of sway bar in the front so I put in an Anti-Rock and am very happy.
I would think a 180# spring would be light for a V8 and that big winch but then what do I know about busses?
Ron
Old 05-05-2002, 09:47 PM

Ron,
Thanks . Looking at RK's site says their 5.5" TJ front springs are 150#/in, but I do see your point...if I went with 180#/in spring rate I might need to get the springs a little longer to allow for some sag. I think the stock spring rate on ZJ springs is 180#/in...any other bus owner know for sure?
Ben
Old 05-05-2002, 09:59 PM

I'll be dipped! No wonder they feel soft.
Thanks,
Ron
Old 05-21-2002, 05:07 PM

Try Valley Spring Works in Dixon California..

National actually gets their coils from them, they dont make coils..at national...

Michael