Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 08-06-2003, 09:03 AM

Tera's disk brake conversion kit any good?

After almost giving up on ever finding a decent set of used Grand Cherokee disk brakes in a junkyard, I called Bob Supplee who got me a good sale price (well under $300) on Tera's rear disk brake conversion kit. Tera's sale was over August first but he was able to get one for me anyway at the sale price. I jumped on it. The kit looks extremely complete (parts list and install directions at http://www.teraflex.biz/install/pdf/DBK_install.pdf ) so I ordered it.

Anyone with any experience or comments on Tera's kit? I figure for an extra $100 over what a few mail order junkyards have quoted to get all new parts and have everything in one big box is hard to beat.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:19 AM

jerry, that sounds like a pretty good deal.. did it come with rotors & pads as well? if so, it's a great deal my junkyard ZJ parts cost me $125, and that was just the brackets and calipers. will you need the rubicon retainer plates or a spacer? or has Tera acconted for that in some other way?

let us know how the install goes!
Old 08-06-2003, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cbremer
jerry, that sounds like a pretty good deal.. did it come with rotors & pads as well? if so, it's a great deal my junkyard ZJ parts cost me $125, and that was just the brackets and calipers. will you need the rubicon retainer plates or a spacer? or has Tera acconted for that in some other way?
The kit includes everything... rotors, pads, retainer plates (I have a pair anyway that I bought in anticipation of the junkyard brakes), flexible brake lines, etc. Click on http://www.teraflex.biz/install/pdf/DBK_install.pdf and you'll see the list of parts included. I think this is a screaming deal, I'm grinning.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:28 AM

That's a good price. My ZJ brakes ran me $250 and that included turning the rotors, new pads and new E-brake shoes. I still need E-brake cables. It looks like you might need axle retainers???
Old 08-06-2003, 09:37 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Jerry,

For the e-brake cable, somebody posted a link on this site where you could get them pretty cheap. It may have been www.parts.com or something like that. It looks like you got a pretty good deal as far as I can tell. I don't know about the preload spacers they use between the bearing and the retainer plates, but you may want to consider using the factory Rubicon plates since they were engineered by Mopar, not Tera.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Weston
Jerry,

For the e-brake cable, somebody posted a link on this site where you could get them pretty cheap. It may have been www.parts.com or something like that. It looks like you got a pretty good deal as far as I can tell. I don't know about the preload spacers they use between the bearing and the retainer plates, but you may want to consider using the factory Rubicon plates since they were engineered by Mopar, not Tera.
I just got off the phone with Tera and by chance, spoke to the guy that was literally packaging my order for shipment as we spoke. Both e-brake adapter cables are already in the box and he verified that retainer plates are included. He said that literally everything needed is in the kit. I do already have a set of Rubicon retainer plates I had purchased in anticipation of installing junkyard disk brakes so I'll probably use them instead. The Tera guy said the disk brakes in this kit are Ford Explorer ('97 and newer Ford parts work) and I'm pretty happy with that. I can't wait, my present brakes really suck. I haven't even installed those Performance Friction pads I bought last month yet so I'll install those the same day. After a few years of really bad brakes, they will soon be "adequate" again, if not great.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Jerry, I'd be real interested in seeing that caliper bracket up close. Tera says they are making their own version of the Ford stuff and I find that difficult to believe.

I'd be more inclined to believe they cut a deal with jeep for the brackets and are just using the caliper, rotor, and pads from the Explorer.

Let me know when it comes in.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
Jerry, I'd be real interested in seeing that caliper bracket up close. Tera says they are making their own version of the Ford stuff and I find that difficult to believe.

I'd be more inclined to believe they cut a deal with jeep for the brackets and are just using the caliper, rotor, and pads from the Explorer.

Let me know when it comes in.
Will do Blaine, I suspect it'll be here Friday. If you want to come down (can I entice you with cinnamon rolls, coffee, then pizza for lunch? ), I'm probably going to do the install at a friend's house, across the street from where I used to live, where you helped me install the SYE. My new garage is still full of shipping boxes and he could use the company... he's my friend whose wife was killed in the January accident with their dune buggy. I think it's going to be probably next weekend, not this coming weekend that I'm planning on installing it.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:11 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
Both e-brake adapter cables are already in the box and he verified that retainer plates are included. He said that literally everything needed is in the kit.

... After a few years of really bad brakes, they will soon be "adequate" again, if not great.
Jerry,

Do they use an adaptor with the stock cables or do they supply new cables. If so, it's sounding more and more like a good deal.

As for the brakes being great with your 35's, you better prepare yourself for adequate. Don't get me wrong, my Jeep brakes a lot better and the parking brake is night and day better, but they aren't great. After you get yours done, try Robert's with the hydroboost and you'll notice an even better improvement.

Good luck with the swap and make sure you post details of the kit once you get it.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Weston
Jerry,

Do they use an adaptor with the stock cables or do they supply new cables. If so, it's sounding more and more like a good deal.

As for the brakes being great with your 35's, you better prepare yourself for adequate. Don't get me wrong, my Jeep brakes a lot better and the parking brake is night and day better, but they aren't great. After you get yours done, try Robert's with the hydroboost and you'll notice an even better improvement.
New cables aren't included Jeff so I ordered a pair from Tera. After hearing the low price on the brake kit, I forgot to ask how much the cables are but whatever they cost, it shouldn't be too bad. Yes I am really only expecting "adequate" braking again but adequate will sure be a lot better than what I have now.

By the way, can anyone believe the nearly $900 price for the disk brake conversion kit in Quadratec's catalog!
Old 08-06-2003, 08:50 PM

Is buying this kit the same as getting the loaded backing plates from an 03 TJ and adding your own calipers and rotors ?
Old 08-06-2003, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by TJP
Is buying this kit the same as getting the loaded backing plates from an 03 TJ and adding your own calipers and rotors ?
Thus the reason for my intense interest in seeing an up close pic of them.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
Thus the reason for my intense interest in seeing an up close pic of them.
I'll take some pics of them and send them to you when I get it Blaine. Describe the kind of pics you want and I'll do my best.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:24 PM

In reading through the directions, it says I need shorter hard brake lines for the installation of the Tera disk brake conversion kit. Why? Am I going to have to get them custom made or is there something available on the store shelf ready to use? The kit includes flexible brake lines but I'm concerned about the hard brake lines. I'm no brake mechanic so this has me a little concerned now, am I going to have to tear out some part of the brake lines back there? Or, is this one of those jobs I'm going to need someone who knows how to use a double-flaring tool since cutting the brake line would be easier? Hoo baby, I think I'm in over my head here...
Old 08-08-2003, 05:44 AM

You will need to either cut and double flare the ends of the existing lines, or go purchase pre-flared lines at the parts store and bend them to fit. Estimate the length and get as close as possible. I think they come in length increments of about 6". After breaking my flaring tool and cursing a bit, I went with the second option when I did my conversion. Cheaper, faster, same end result.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by karstman
You will need to either cut and double flare the ends of the existing lines, or go purchase pre-flared lines at the parts store and bend them to fit. Estimate the length and get as close as possible. I think they come in length increments of about 6". After breaking my flaring tool and cursing a bit, I went with the second option when I did my conversion. Cheaper, faster, same end result.

You're a weinie. I can cut and double flare the lines to fit faster than you can get back from my parts store and it's about 4 blocks away.

Jerry- you have two choices. Order the brake lines from a 03 sport and use the sport flex lines. Or, cut and flare the existing which takes about 10 minutes or so.

The reason for cutting and flaring is that the calipers move back and forth and need to have a flexible line attached to compensate. Your original lines went to wheel cylinders which are fixed and don't move. The stock lines are too long to allow a flex line in there.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:04 AM

I knew I'd catch flak for that one, but hey, if it works.....
Old 08-08-2003, 10:57 AM
Banned for being bad

If its tera it rules!!!!!
ON BOARD AIR RULES!!!!01 Sport,Delayed response RULES !!!! Factory Hard Top, Auto, WARN? SYNTHETIC WINCH ROPE RULES!!!! Silverstone , D44 with Trac-Lok and 3.73:1 , LIBERTY DIESEL RULES!!!! TERA S3T 3" Lift, Currie steering box brace, MetalFusion Fenders Rule!!!!Currie steering damper, BFGoodrich Krawler RULES !!!!Bilstein Shocks,Harbor Freight winches rule!!!! GY MTR 33x1250-15 on rockcrawler Rims, Sun Performance rocker skids. Tera T-Locker's rule!!!!

HUMMER SHOES RULE!!!!
Old 08-08-2003, 11:53 AM

Ok, I'm a reasonably mechanically adept guy but I've never double-flared a brake line. But I have spent the night in a Howard Johnson's.

I'm going to go ahead and attempt the double-flare job on the brake line myself. I've flared tubing for brass fittings before and found some pretty good directions on how to double flare at http://www.rx7turboturbo.com/robrobi...brake_line.htm so I'll just go that way. Wish me luck, the worst thing that can happen is that I have to go buy the 2003 brake lines.
Old 08-08-2003, 12:04 PM

Be sure to get a good quality double flare tool Jerry - the cheap ones will produce crappy flares and drive you nuts. There is one in particular that many of the auto parts stores stock that you should avoid at all costs. The brand name slips my name (maybe JK?) but it comes in a red plastic case and is garbage if you intend to do more than a few flares.
Old 08-08-2003, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Welch
Be sure to get a good quality double flare tool Jerry - the cheap ones will produce crappy flares and drive you nuts. There is one in particular that many of the auto parts stores stock that you should avoid at all costs. The brand name slips my name (maybe JK?) but it comes in a red plastic case and is garbage if you intend to do more than a few flares.
Thanks Art, I'll be on the lookout for that one and avoid it. That's probably exactly the one I would have bought too so I'm glad to know about it. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2003, 02:43 PM

I think you are talking about TK tools, yeah dont buy those.

As for Disk Brake Conversions, I am selling a complete setup for a 35C. Ive got everything you need. Just shoot an e-mail to me.

Madman2@sbcglobal.net

AprilzWarrior
Old 08-08-2003, 03:04 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Something else to help the cause....

http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/ft-1.htm
Old 08-08-2003, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stu Olson
Something else to help the cause....

http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/ft-1.htm
Hey that did help, thanks a bunch for that link Stu. Your explanation of the process made that other site look like Crayola scribbling.
Old 08-10-2003, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Welch
Quote:
Originally posted by AprilzWarrior
I think you are talking about TK tools, yeah dont buy those.
Well I'm batting 1000 on that TK brakeline flare kit you've both warned me against, that is the ONLY brand I have found so far.
Old 08-10-2003, 07:09 PM

Hey Jerry they have a couple different sets at Eastwood (Do a keyword search on: flare)
Or you could go with Matco or Snap-On. You will pay a little more but you'll have a quality tool.

To find your local Snap-On or Matco guy just stop by any Garage, the mechanics will have the Cell and Pager numbers for all the tool peddlers in town.

Rob
Old 08-10-2003, 07:24 PM

Jerry - Take a look at Home Depot. They usually carry Ridgid tools in the plumbing section. One of the models (345) can be had with the adapters to do double flairs. This is a robust tool that isn't that much more expensive than the junk most auto parts stores have.
Old 08-10-2003, 08:41 PM

Jerry- How about just renting or borrowing one. You may never need one again.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:27 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Bransford
Your explanation of the process made that other site look like Crayola scribbling.
Thanks Jerry...I found that other site....was this the one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (15.2 KB, 280 views)
Old 08-11-2003, 03:49 PM

LOL, you obviously have way too much time on your hands Stu.