Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 07-19-2004, 06:39 AM
Aussie Goat Lover

Opinions on Tera LA kit

Hi all,

Know it's been done to death but am interested in owners experiences with the Tera LA kit.

Have just retired my 3 yo tera 4" short arm kit (to be shortly made into upper arms as it's all AOK) when the 2nd hand LA kit goes on this weekend.

Any feedback would be great

TIA
Old 07-19-2004, 08:44 AM

My experience with my Tera lift is that I couldn't get it off of my Jeep fast enough. It was a complete waste of funds AFAIC. It didn't flex worth a crap, the front trackbar would bend if you looked at it the wrong way and it broke 4 out of 8 brackets on my Jeep.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:05 PM

Re: Opinions on Tera LA kit

Quote:
Originally posted by Gordo
Hi all,

Know it's been done to death but am interested in owners experiences with the Tera LA kit.

Have just retired my 3 yo tera 4" short arm kit (to be shortly made into upper arms as it's all AOK) when the 2nd hand LA kit goes on this weekend.

Any feedback would be great

TIA
So that is who boughts lexx's second hand kit.
Which used to be Shane's LA originally.

the arms look a little thin to me, but they seem to stand up to things fairly well.
I would be worried about really beating on them though in the long run, but they look easy enough to sleeve etc.

Tony has been running stock upper arms and the tera LA lowers for years and years now and he does a lot of wheeling.
Not too much hard rock work, but a lot of mud and trails down here in Vic.

The install is pretty easy as well.
Have fun cutting the stock brackets off
Old 07-19-2004, 05:18 PM
Aussie Goat Lover

Robert, thanks for the feedback. Interesting you mentioned the trackbar as I recently snapped mine (the head off the captive bolt joined to draglink) after a week long comp and 3 years of abuse.

Hope this doesn't repeat with the LA kit. Only other snappage was a stock upper (no surprises there)

Ahhhh anonymous Ausjeep... by what psuedonym may I know you on the ausjeep bbs ?

My tyres, beadlock rims, winch, rear bar and now LA arms are 3rd+ hand so why break with tradition

Have thermonuclear air chisel and steroid'd angle grinder ready for attack on mounts...
Old 07-19-2004, 07:53 PM

Ahh gordo - You're busted
BTW that's young Zach above

Personally I considered the Tera's for a while - but the longer I kept reading not-so-nice reports the more I was convinced to go "other".....
But as Zach said, TW runs the Tera LA's and has for yonks & he seems happy with them.....But he stocks 'em so he's biased - just like I am now with RE
www.jeepaction.com.au/
Old 07-21-2004, 08:11 AM
Aussie Goat Lover

Bloody RE...it's like a virus

Current plan is to mod the tera lowers with ORI's poly flex's (or similar) to make them uppers.

Old 07-21-2004, 11:45 AM

When I took the Tera lift that came on my Jeep off and put my Currie lift on the on road ride improvement was amazing - the suspension actually worked on the street and wasn't harsh like the Tera ride. Tera's design is all wrong and it binds much more then they want to admit.

I'd run RE before I'd run anything Tera makes.

Jeff
Old 07-22-2004, 06:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to frhalevt
I have the new Tera Long Arm with the larger lower control arms and the new frame bracket and I love it. My TJ rides as good as if not better than factory on road and it flexes great off-road as well.

A few issues I have heard about Teraflex lifts are:

1. You need to regularly grease the control arms. If you don't they will wear out and lose flex.
2. In most cases broken control arm mounts are caused by using the factory upper control arms.

Hope this helps,
Frank
Old 07-28-2004, 11:07 PM
Aussie Goat Lover

frhalevt

10-4 on the greasing. Been greasing my lower 4" shorty tera arms to death since new and they are still a-1 and now ready for service as uppers. A mate with the tera 3" lower shorty kit killed his arms after 2 years due to lack of grease :O

Agreed on the broken mount theme too - seems to be common from my limited research. Hence the polyflex bushs going on before being used as uppers.

Paradiddle - Can someone please convice Curry to get a dealer in our backward island downunder ? I would be even broker (if at all possible)

Thanks for the feedback guys !

Ps as good as it is - too much bloody RE gear over here already - like bloody Toyota's and A-holes... everyone's got one !
Old 07-29-2004, 01:01 AM

Yeha but the ahole is a very useful organ......otherwise you'd be full of shyte
www.jeepaction.com.au/
Old 07-29-2004, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by frhalevt
In most cases broken control arm mounts are caused by using the factory upper control arms.
Hardly, I ran Tera uppers and lowers and summarily toasted 2 front axle lower axle brackets and 2 rear axle upper frame brackets. The stock arms flex very nicely - they aren't the problem. Its the design of the Tera arm - specifically the size of the bushing barrel and the placement of that stupid so called flex joint.