Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 06-29-2009, 09:33 AM

Sold my Black Jeep, also found more Damage from last JV trip

I ended up buying a 02 TJ for my son who will be 16 next year. Got a smokin deal on it and need lots of work. Though this would be a great father/son project. This resulted in me departing with my loyal black 4 banger YJ. It saved me this past fall when I went to JV as my other jeep was not ready. The new owner is a young member of our local club.

For those who where there when they saw me snap my front axel on the winching out of the waterfall on werecking ball, well there was more damage. I had not driven the jeep since then and when I did I got an unpleasent surprise while going thru one of the new local Roundabouts. Ended up driving off the road as the front end would not turn. The locker seemed to engage and not let go. I also had death wobble, something this jeep never had. I ended up ripping the front end apart to notice the carrier bearing on the pass side was spinning on the carrier. The shims were worn out along with the carrier worn where it slides into the bearing. I cannot tell if the housing is bent, but it does seem straight. Looking at getting another carrier and putting it in the current housing and see if it fixes the locker problem. If anyone has any insight please let me know. Although I sold the jeep I told the guy I would work with him on getting the front fixed. Jeep seems to work fine with the pass axel disconnect disengaged for street driving, but when engaged the front end binds up and get death wobble. The vacuum disconnect only works part of the time as it fails due to bashing the part on rocks. I may also have to replace the luchbox locker and I do have an extra D30 from my other YJ.

For the 02 TJ, anybody got a good source for black steelies that are 17" with 8 lug pattern. Want something cheap and have good back spacing for 37" tires.

Joel

BTW, picked up my Dad's 07 JK. Never been in one before and I must say jeep did an excellent job. He also got this jeep with the GPS system. It boots up fast and is very easy to use.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:59 PM

Farewell 'ol blackie...

May your new owner give you the respect you deserve
Old 07-06-2009, 09:22 AM

Thanks, Matt

Well the guy that bought it already put it on its side, so it's being put to good use.

Would love some feedback on ideas about the front axel. With it disconnected the jeep runs fine down the road, with it connected it has deathwobble. Would it be "fairly safe" to say the housing is not bent. Going to help him with getting the front end corrected.

zman