Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 01-03-2005, 10:20 AM

It's really too bad my camera is on the fritz...

I took advantage of my week off to finish getting my CJ frame ready for the buildup. I pulled all the lines, the brackets I won't use, etc. I even put it in the back of the truck and took it to the car wash for a serious cleaning. Aside from the spring perches I'm no longer going to use (shackle reversal front, 4 link back) there is nothing more to remove. Everything else I do will be building it up. I get to start with bolting on the MORE motor mounts and shackle reversal kit, putting in the YJ springs and setting them on the front axle, bolting together the engine/tranny/t-case and getting it put into place, fabbing the tranny mount/skid plate, taking measurements for the 4 link... So much is waiting to be bolted in. It's going to start coming together quickly. I'm getting excited.

I feel as if I'm at the top of the pass looking down the other side. I can finally visualize the path I'm taking and I can see an end to this journey. It's hard to believe I only started Jeeping 4 years ago with a stock XJ over Miller Jeep Trail. It only had 3,000 miles on the odometer at the time and it's now gone, replaced by my CJ project I can't wait to get done so I can wheel it.

Once I get the bugs worked out, I'm going to have to plan some trips to some of the really cool trails I always wanted to try out in California and Moab and the like.

My Free Gear Ratio Calculator (In Metric Too)
Old 01-03-2005, 10:58 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Congrats on your project. I don't have the space to do a frame build up like that (nor a few of the necessary tools). My hat is off to you for being able to do it.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stu Olson
Congrats on your project. I don't have the space to do a frame build up like that (nor a few of the necessary tools). My hat is off to you for being able to do it.
I've always wanted to do a big buildup. Only it was going to be a '65 Corvette until a few years ago. I may get around to that one when I recover from the CJ project...

I've been steadily accumulating tools as I do this (which eats into the parts budget unfortunately... ) But having a 60 gallon 220V compressor to run the air tools makes life a lot easier. Except for when I snap off the rusted in bolts. But they were holding on the swaybar mounts so I'm just going to grind them flat before coating the frame. Who needs swaybars on a dedicated trail rig anyway?

My Free Gear Ratio Calculator (In Metric Too)