Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 01-26-2002, 10:12 AM

Currie Short Shaft Vs. RE Hack & Tap, pictures.....

By looking at the images in their respective catalogues, I couldn't tell what the exact differences between the two was and/or how it was done.
The Currie is much shorter as they cut new splines into what was the old seal area on the shaft. The new seal they supply now works on the flange that the drive shaft bolts up to instead of the output shaft. Also the Currie flange is fully splined for much better contact.
The reason I got a new shaft was due to a slightly bent RE one that came on my Jeep. The Currie, being shorter with less leverage, should be harder to bend. Also less driveshaft angle is always good.
Anyhow, I think for the little bit more cost, the Currie is much better. Of course you do have to change the shaft with the Currie and you don't with the RE.
Ron

I like the way my Jeep is now..... I'd just like it, well, a little higher off the ground with more ground clearance!
Old 01-26-2002, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Ron, take some fine emery strip and polish the seal area on the Currie flange to a very nice finish. This will prevent me from having to send you a new seal. Also be sure and put some sealant under the washer at the spline area of the same flange.

You are just another ride in the amusement park of my mind.
Old 01-26-2002, 01:55 PM

Will do! Thanks.
Ron

I like the way my Jeep is now..... I'd just like it, well, a little higher off the ground with more ground clearance!
Old 01-26-2002, 02:05 PM
Banned

Ron, thanks for the pics. It's nice to see the difference up close (online ads seem to show the same pictures with no difference between a lot of SYE).

Áron O'Proinntigh is ainm dom
Old 01-27-2002, 12:28 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Aha! Finally, proof that the Currie unit is shorter than the RE hack and tap. I remember arguing with HarryB on this a few years back and he insisted that they were nearly the same length even though I replaced my RE with a Currie and could clearly see the difference.

Jeff
Old 01-27-2002, 08:17 AM

If Harry said they are the same, I'm sure they are. Harry also said he had no affiliation with RE so I'm sure he didn't.
My pictures got touched up by the camera, I guess!

Old 01-27-2002, 10:48 AM
AA reject

Ron--
Can you tell from the picture which one I have?

97 ZJ 8.0" lift, Armed and plated "short bus".
Old 01-27-2002, 12:01 PM

Definitely not a RE hack & tap. It looks like the flange is as close to the transfer case as the Currie but my bolts go in from the drive shaft side into the flange. Some one may have mounted the bolts from the back and use nuts to hold it together which probably makes for easier installation and may be a good idea.
I think it's a Currie.
Ron