Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 01-08-2004, 05:44 PM

Question Use the short or the long side D44 axle shaft for a spare?

I don't want to have to carry both axle shafts, which is the right axle shaft to carry as a spare? The shorter side kind of makes more sense to me but I forget which side someone (Blaine, I think) said worked on either side.... thanks!
Old 01-08-2004, 05:57 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

As I remember Blaines comment, he had but a 1/4" or so of engagement in the locker on the shaft.

That would say to me that a short shaft was being used on the long side.

Now.....don't ask me which is the short side.

(I think it is the right side....right or wrong?
Old 01-08-2004, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stu Olson
As I remember Blaines comment, he had but a 1/4" or so of engagement in the locker on the shaft.
Ooh that doesn't sound too good, maybe carrying both sides isn't such a bad idea if it's a wicked trail. Thanks Stu. By the way, I put in for a vanity callsign... N6TAY. We'll see if I get it, though K6TAY and W6TAY were my next two choices.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:16 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Jerry....I could be wrong on the length....it might have been a 1/2", maybe even more.....but I know it was pretty short compared to all of that spline that is on the shaft.

Hopefully Blaine will pop for an answer.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:21 PM
dennisuello

driver side is shorter one.

29 1/4 and 29 3/4 are the lengths

engagement is somewhere around 2", so running short axle on the passenger side should still give enough .
Old 01-08-2004, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Jerry....I could be wrong on the length....it might have been a 1/2", maybe even more.....but I know it was pretty short compared to all of that spline that is on the shaft.

Hopefully Blaine will pop for an answer.
Both of my sides were the same from the factory. Two short sides with a measured .200 of engagement. I measured after about 25,000 miles of use and many trails. The part I measured was the shiny wear ring on the splines.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:06 AM

Thanks Blaine and Dennis, good information!
Old 01-09-2004, 06:10 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

So.....is Jerry on to a good idea? If one normally carries spare D44 shafts (as I do), is it "practical" to limit yourself to the short side shaft? Certainly a savings on space and weight.

What is everyone else's take on this?
Old 01-09-2004, 07:54 AM

Not to side track this too much...

Good for you on the vanity call, Jerry. Here's hoping it goes through. One of the first things I did after obtaining my General license was get a vanity call: N6EMS. Seemed fitting given my profession. My wife surprised me a few months later by presenting me with personalized plates for my Jeep with my HAM call.

On the axle issue, I'm also interested in this. I presently don't carry any spare shafts (not yet at least). Did the con without them, was a little concerned about it, but fortunately made it through without a problem. No spare parts (yet) is also the reason I've stated before, on here, that I don't think I'm ready for JV. Wouldn't want to break down and delay the whole group because I'm unprepared for a trail fix.

If a short-side shaft would work to get you off the trail, it would make sense to carry just the short side (space and weight savings) and keep the long side back at camp. Seems Blaine wheeled for a while with that setup, but not sure he would have if he'd known of only .20 engagement.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:09 AM

I broke a ring gear on my D44 doing something stupid, not a shaft. I had the axle closely looked at, and the shafts were fine. I think that spare shaft is nice, but really all that important.

That being said, I used to carry the short side with me. I lent out my spares to someone and haven't gotten them back yet, so now I carry none.

Chances are I'll break a shaft then, eh?
Old 01-09-2004, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by William

I lent out my spares to someone and haven't gotten them back yet, so now I carry none.
you'll get them back! with nice shiny new bearings too

i swear
Old 01-09-2004, 10:59 AM

I'm not sweating it...

'Course, if I break one I might be!! LOL.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:59 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

I was wheelin' on New Years Day and a friend snapped a D44 rear shaft while climbing an obstacle. His front ARB had stopped working (the part that the copper air line attaches to spun and pinched the line off).

So...snapping a D44 shaft was kind of on my mind and since Jerry brought up the topic.....I was wondering how others felt about the short side only idea.
Old 01-10-2004, 03:36 PM

Quote:
So...snapping a D44 shaft was kind of on my mind and since Jerry brought up the topic.....I was wondering how others felt about the short side only idea.
Me too, btt.
Old 01-11-2004, 07:08 AM

It depends on where I will be. If I'm going down to Carnage or somwhere that's not out in the boonies, I think bringing a short only would suffice. If I'm driving somewhere where I could end up stranded for an evening in the woods hours from any towns, I'll bring both. I don't carry spares for the front (just a hublock) so it's really not that much extra room, and someone else may need it too. If I tow the jeep, parts can always stay at the truck, but I don't have a trailer yet. Hopefully by summer.

Mark