Go Back   JeepBBS > The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly > Political Arm Pit and Fool Shed
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Political Arm Pit and Fool Shed Enter at your own risk. This is the land of political discussions, jokes, and nonsense posts.

Old 12-26-2002, 11:32 AM
Reggae

Old Chinese Tip of the Day

If you happened to have 50 pounds of dry ice in your jeep, make sure that your MacDonald?s take out baggy is not sitting next to it.

Old 12-26-2002, 04:23 PM

Re: Old Chinese Tip of the Day

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
If you happened to have 50 pounds of dry ice in your jeep, make sure that your MacDonald?s take out baggy is not sitting next to it.

I think the real question is "why would you have 50 pounds of dry ice in your Jeep?"

Do tell......
Old 12-26-2002, 04:31 PM

Whaddya mean Kat? You don't have 50# of dry ice in your TJ?
Old 12-26-2002, 06:39 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim M
Whaddya mean Kat? You don't have 50# of dry ice in your TJ?
Not the last time I checked...just a bunch of cleaning stuff and more dust than I like! So tell me Jim, what are you doing with 50 pounds of dry ice in your Jeep? Is this a new fad that I'm missing out on?
Old 12-26-2002, 09:25 PM

Doesn't everyone carry dry ice? I mean, how else are you going to make a fog to facilitate a getaway? No?

Ok, how about this: I heard through the Jeep grape vine that Sergey was carrying it around. Well, knowing what a trend setter he can be, I decided to get out ahead of the curve and start carrying my own. Still no?

Well, I've heard that dry ice can be useful in the event of a power outage to keep foods cold in the fridge. Oh I don't know...Actually, I never said I was carryong any in my TJ...

Come to think of it, why were you carrying 50# of frozen CO2 in your Jeep Sergey? Some new fangled OBA setup? Hey wait, shouldn't this thread be in the CO2 section?
Old 12-27-2002, 06:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Some new fangled OBA setup? Hey wait, shouldn't this thread be in the CO2 section?
No it should not. It belongs in the refrigeration section.
Old 12-27-2002, 11:02 AM
Reggae

Re: Re: Old Chinese Tip of the Day

Quote:
Originally posted by JeepKat
I think the real question is "why would you have 50 pounds of dry ice in your Jeep?"

Do tell......
Redneck's Air Conditioner!

Just kidding. We freeze dry things, on the lyophilizer. Dry ice mixed with some alcohol does the freezing job.
Old 12-27-2002, 12:05 PM

Re: Re: Re: Old Chinese Tip of the Day

Quote:
Redneck's Air Conditioner!

Just kidding. We freeze dry things, on the lyophilizer. Dry ice mixed with some alcohol does the freezing job.
OK, get a "real" lyophilizer that first freezes and then dries. We have one at work that is so big, that my Jeep would almost fit inside.

You could have made up a funny story, say when the mail lady saw you sniffing your air filter, she said: "if I only had some dry ice to go with that, we could have us a party!"
Old 12-27-2002, 12:20 PM
Reggae

Almost?

Wouldn't it be cool to freeze-dry a jeep? Instant jeep ? just add water!

I don't want to mess with a mail lady. It's a federal offence!
Old 12-27-2002, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:

I don't want to mess with a mail lady. It's a federal offence!
If she is not in uniform, is it still a federal offense?
Old 12-27-2002, 12:41 PM
Reggae

Title 18, United States Code
Section 1701. Obstruction of mail generally

Whoever knowingly and willfully obstructs or retards the passage of the mail, or any carrier or conveyance carrying the mail, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.
Old 12-27-2002, 03:23 PM

What section of the US Code deals with the transport of dry ice?
Old 12-27-2002, 03:41 PM
Reggae

49 CFR parts 171-180
Old 12-27-2002, 03:58 PM

Is dry ice really a hazmat?
Old 12-27-2002, 04:02 PM
Reggae

Yep. Class 9 PG III
Old 12-27-2002, 04:08 PM

Thanks. Through all the fun I actually learned something.http://www.jeepbbs.net/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif
Old 12-27-2002, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Title 18, United States Code
Section 1701. Obstruction of mail generally

Whoever knowingly and willfully obstructs or retards the passage of the mail, or any carrier or conveyance carrying the mail, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.
Do mail carriers have to be in uniform to be mail carriers? If they are out of uniform do you still suffer penalties if you obstruct one?
Old 12-27-2002, 04:16 PM

Can a mail carrier, whether in or out of uniform, carry dry ice? I would assume they can as long as it's in a class III package.
Old 12-27-2002, 04:22 PM
Reggae

49 CFR - CHAPTER I - PART 173

? 173.217 Carbon dioxide, solid (dry ice).

(a) Carbon dioxide, solid (dry ice), when offered for transportation or transported by aircraft or water, must be packed in packagings designed and constructed to permit the release of carbon dioxide gas to prevent a build-up of pressure that could rupture the packagings. Packagings must conform to the general packaging requirements of subpart B of this part but need not conform to the requirements of part 178 of this subchapter. For each shipment by air exceeding 2.3 kg (5 lbs) per package, advance arrangements must be made between the shipper and each carrier.

(b) Railroad cars and motor vehicles containing solid carbon dioxide, when accepted for transportation on board ocean vessels, must be conspicuously marked on two sides "WARNING CO2 SOLID (DRY ICE)."

(c) Other packagings containing solid carbon dioxide, when offered or accepted for transportation on board ocean vessels, must be marked "CARBON DIOXIDE, SOLID -- DO NOT STOW BELOW DECKS."

(d) Not more than 200 kg (441 pounds) of solid carbon dioxide may be transported in any one cargo compartment or bin on any aircraft except by specific and special written arrangement between the shipper and the aircraft operator.

(e) Carbon dioxide, solid (dry ice) is excepted from the shipping paper and certification requirements of this subchapter if the requirements of paragraphs (a) and (d) of this section are complied with and the package is marked "Carbon dioxide, solid" or "Dry ice" and marked with an indication that the material being refrigerated is used for diagnostic or treatment purposes (e.g., frozen medical specimens).

[Amdt. 173-224, 55 FR 52643, Dec. 21, 1990, as amended by Amdt. 173-138, 59 FR 49133, Sept. 26, 1994]
Old 12-27-2002, 04:46 PM
Reggae

Postal workers that are in the public view for 4 or more hours each day required to wear uniform. Depending on the job they do, some workers are only required to wear a partial uniform.

USPS Mail carriers uniform is classified as Clothing Type 1 and provided for the following reasons:

a. To provide immediate visual identification with the Postal Service to the public.
b. To project an appearance to the public that is neat, professional, and pleasing.
c. To help develop in the employee a feeling of esprit de corps.
d. To meet standard professional practices (doctors, nurses, etc.).

Supervisors are responsible for continually observing the uniforms of employees and taking appropriate corrective action, when necessary, to ensure employees are properly attired. (Think William)

Postal employees are responsible for being adequately and properly dressed for duty.

Uniforms are worn as follows:
a. General. A uniform is worn only while the employee is on duty, in connection with approved activities directly related to postal employment.
b. Special Authorization. Postmasters may authorize wearing postal uniforms for activities in which the Postal Service participates, or which it sponsors, where identification with the Postal Service is beneficial to the Service, and while the employee is traveling directly to and from work.
c. Restrictions. In no other case may the postal employee?s uniform, or any part of it that identifies the garment or wearer with the Postal Service, be worn in nonpostal employment or activities.
Old 12-27-2002, 04:52 PM
Reggae

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
Do mail carriers have to be in uniform to be mail carriers?
I think not. It's the other way around.

Quote:
If they are out of uniform do you still suffer penalties if you obstruct one?
I think, yes, but a judge would have to make that descision.
Old 12-27-2002, 04:57 PM
Reggae

Quote:
Can a mail carrier, whether in or out of uniform, carry dry ice? I would assume they can as long as it's in a class III package.
Yes, I think a mail carrier can carry dry ice.

Dry Ice is not Class III, it's Class 9.

Edit:

III is the packaging group. But the class is 9 - Miscellaneous Hazardous Materials - Substances which present relatively low hazards.

Another words III is the degree of hazard within the class 9.

Within each hazard classification there are three packing groups (I, II, and III). Packing Group I represents the greatest hazard, Group II a moderate hazard, and Group III the least hazard. In the marking of packagings, Group I corresponds to "X", Group II corresponds to "Y", and Group III corresponds to "Z".
Old 12-28-2002, 05:18 AM

OK. So, how many chucks could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
Old 12-28-2002, 01:37 PM
Reggae

Talking

Jim, you got it all wrong. The saying goes: "How many people would a woodchipper chip if the woodchipper would chip people"?
Old 12-28-2002, 04:54 PM

this begs the question: if you obstructed a freeze dried mail carrier carrying dry ice in unapproved packaging, would you still get in trouble, or would the fact that a freeze dried mail carrier cannot actually 'convey' mail (as required by law) be a defense?

i think it depends on whether the freeze dried mail carrier is in uniform or not
Old 12-29-2002, 01:37 PM

Sergey,

Do freeze-dried people chip better than the warm juicy ones?