Go Back   JeepBBS > The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly > Political Arm Pit and Fool Shed
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Political Arm Pit and Fool Shed Enter at your own risk. This is the land of political discussions, jokes, and nonsense posts.

Old 03-12-2003, 01:27 PM
Reggae

Exclamation Attention All Shoppers

I just launched a new web site:

http://www.peptide-catalog.com/

It is totally dynamic and database driven. This is my first project of the sort, and I am curious how it will hold up under load. If you got a minute or two, just go there and click around. The more of you do it at the same time the merrier. Let me know if you start getting errors, or it freezes for too long.

Thank you!
Old 03-12-2003, 02:44 PM
Reggae

Here is a quote from the first review of this project:

Quote:
Right on, it
looks like you're leveraging the powerful suite of features encapsulated in
the Premier Borland product and capitalizing on toolset enhancements to
maximize and increase output by the focused application of your existing
knowledge base, thereby easily adopting to the paradigm of power and
flexibility required by todays cutting edge web applications.
Now, I am holding my fingers crossed, this thing doesn't blow up. Well if it does, I know how to fix it....
Old 03-13-2003, 12:44 PM

Yep! I agree, especially about the, "leveraging the powerful suite of features encapsulated in
the Premier Borland product and capitalizing on toolset enhancements"
part.
Old 03-13-2003, 12:52 PM
Reggae

Ron, this web site has been running only since yesterday, but it has already made me popular. People tell me that they've been paying too much for their peptides, and I got an invitation to a lingerie themed party, which I am not going to go, of course.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by TObject
I got an invitation to a lingerie themed party, which I am not going to go, of course.
Boy, could some ever have fun with this quote.
Old 03-13-2003, 11:18 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Quote:
Ron, this web site has been running only since yesterday, but it has already made me popular. People tell me that they've been paying too much for their peptides, and I got an invitation to a lingerie themed party, which I am not going to go, of course.
Yeah, showing up at a party with women prancing around in lingerie sounds terrible!
Old 03-14-2003, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Weston
Yeah, showing up at a party with women prancing around in lingerie sounds terrible!
Are you sure it's women's lingerie?
Old 03-14-2003, 06:30 PM
Reggae

I was asked to modify the site a little bit. It is no longer totally dynamic, but the "Catalog Peptides" part still is.

I would go to the party if only women were required to oblige to the dress code.
Old 03-14-2003, 11:05 PM

Go as Hugh Hefner, silk pajamas, smoking jacket, scarf and pipe ... and 5 or 6 blondes on your arms. You're all set!
Old 03-15-2003, 08:25 AM
Reggae

Thumbs up

You know, Jeff, this is not such a bad idea. Blondes who want to go to the party, as my entourage, sign up via e-mail: tobject@pronografics.com
Old 03-16-2003, 06:04 AM

Sergey...................

What ,,,,,,exactly.........is a peptide??????????

I even read your "Basics" page.....still over my head.

I'm from Missouri, remember.

Brad
Old 03-16-2003, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Hellbender

Brad
peptide- noun, a fast moving wave of water generally found around the edges of larger bodies of water and are caused by the full moon as opposed to the slothtides prevalent when the moon is not so full.
Old 03-16-2003, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hellbender

Brad
Don't feel too bad Brad. A relative of mine won a Nobel Prize for his work on this Peptide Stuff and I don't know a darn thing about it.

http://www.nobel.se/chemistry/laurea...field-bio.html
Old 03-16-2003, 02:35 PM
Reggae

Brad,

Let me tell you what a peptide is, as I understand it. Bear in mind, that I am not a chemist, so my definition may be not all correct.

There is a group of compounds called amino acids. These are very important building blocks of living things. There are 20 natural amino acids, and a bunch of synthetic ones, that do not exist in nature.

Amino acids can be connected to each other in chains. This is what proteins are ? basically long chains of amino acids.

Peptides are just like proteins, only smaller in length and weight. In fact, you can call peptides ? short proteins. Or you can call proteins ? long peptides.

There are many different peptides, and the ones that are most interesting, are biologically active peptides. Many hormones are peptides. For example, insulin is a peptide.

Researchers of Alzheimer disease found that plaques of a peptide forming in the human brain and affecting its normal function cause it. That peptide is called Beta-Amyloid.

Many peptides are used for antibody production.

Peptides themselves are rarely used as drugs, as they have to be injected into the blood stream to work. If you eat a peptide, your stomach will just digest it (or most of it). But peptides are widely used for drug research and development.

With peptides the very important aspect is their physical form, which is dictated by the sequence. Chemical composition is not that important. For example, you can have two peptides with the same number of Oxygen, Nitrogen, Hydrogen, and Carbon molecules but different 3D forms. One of these peptides may be sized properly to fit that one thing in your body that causes your nose to run when you inhale pollen. So, by using that peptide you could block your allergy, just got to make sure first that it doesn?t block something else what you don?t want to block first.

Jeff, your uncle is very cool! You have no idea how cool he is. He revolutionized the whole thing.
Old 03-16-2003, 07:21 PM

So.... Where do you get them? Do you grow 'em in a petre' dish, boil down urine, grind up cow bones, hunt them where you find nauga's (for naugahide) or what? Probably a different combo for all the different ones?

Since they are like proteins and hormones, are they mainly animal derived?

I know that thyroid hormone has both an animal based (Armour)and synthetic (synthroid) form available for use.

Brad
Old 03-16-2003, 09:31 PM

Quote:

Jeff, your uncle is very cool! You have no idea how cool he is. He revolutionized the whole thing.
Sergey,

Trust me, if the girls in school felt at all the same way, I woulda' been name dropping a long time ago!
Old 03-17-2003, 10:30 AM
Reggae

Brad, you could obtain peptides by breaking down proteins, but there are easier ways. Before Jeff's uncle invented solid phase peptide synthesis. Peptides were made in big jars, by chemists. It was very hard to do, and each peptide pretty much required it's own method.

Thanks to Jeff's uncle invention, the way peptides are made these days is like this: take resin, and put amino acids on it one at a time. When the desired chain is ready, the peptide is taken off the resin and purified.

Where do we get peptides? We have a big lab, filled with expensive analytical and preparative equipment. The raw materials and reagents come in cans of powder and drums of liquid; the peptides come out in vials of fluffy powder. The magic happens in between.

I personally do not make peptides. I just sit in an office not far from the lab, and brag about the cool programs I made.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:52 AM
Reggae

Talking

Jeff, the most important thing I know (or rather knew) about high school girls is that they don't know themselves what they want.

Anyways, what is your uncle up to these days? Do you see him?
Old 03-17-2003, 12:13 PM

He's actually my dad's cousin. I haven't seen him in about 5 years or so. He has stayed behind the last few times his wife visited. I never knew much about him other than he was real smart. Apparently, those chemistry genes didn't trickle down to this generation of the family.