Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 10-09-2007, 09:06 PM

The deep pan kit for the 32RH

I ordered the Mopar deep pan kit today from the Jeep dealer. This is the one I'll have to drill a hole into to weld the temp sensor bung into.

The parts guy loaned me a Mopar Performance catalog and there's a finned aluminum deep pan kit listed (fins aren't real deep) that also has a built-in temp sender bung.

Has anyone used the aluminum pan with good results? Seems like it'd help keep the ATF cooler being as it's aluminum with short heat fins on the bottom. I'm thinking about canceling the order for the standard steel deep pan and going with the aluminum unless anyone has a reason not to. I don't know the price yet so hopefully it's not that much more expensive.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:33 PM
Reggae

Jerry,

There is a bit of discussion in the following thread:
http://www.jeepbbs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10616

I believe some of the Aluminum deep pan models have the drain plug in the opposite location.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

FWIW Jerry, Summit Racing lists a few different Mopar finned aluminum pans like you mentioned. I'm not exactly sure which application, if any, is correct, but they are all well over $200.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:07 PM

Thanks a bunch guys, and that link was very helpful/useful Sergey. I sure hope that fancy aluminum pan from Mopar Performance isn't $200, I'll find out tomorrow. I never thought to look in Summit's catalog which I'll do after I get the Mopar finned pan price.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Weston View Post
FWIW Jerry, Summit Racing lists a few different Mopar finned aluminum pans like you mentioned. I'm not exactly sure which application, if any, is correct, but they are all well over $200.
Yowsa Jeff you were right, Mopar's price is $199 on that finned pan I found in their peformance catalog. I can get 20% off to get it down to $160 but that's still $100 more than the standard deep pan kit. I'll have to think about this. Even Mopar's tranny temp gauge is $149 vs. the usual $49.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:58 AM

Jerry - Check and see of Hughes Performance still has a deep pan available. I know Fred installed one on his Jeep, and I'm pretty sure it came from them. Hughes makes good stuff, and they're a lot less expensive than the Mopar stuff. I didn't see a pan for the TF999/32RH listed on the Summit website, but you can reach Hughes at (520) 624-4441.

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 10-10-2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB98TJ View Post
Jerry - Check and see of Hughes Performance still has a deep pan available. I know Fred installed one on his Jeep, and I'm pretty sure it came from them. Hughes makes good stuff, and they're a lot less expensive than the Mopar stuff. I didn't see a pan for the TF999/32RH listed on the Summit website, but you can reach Hughes at (520) 624-4441.
Thanks Dan, I just called them and they do have a finned aluminum deep pan kit for the 32RH for $142.50 but I'd need to drill it and have Blaine TIG weld the bung in place for the temp sender. For $18 more I can get the finned aluminum Mopar pan with a built-in bung. Thanks for the suggestion though Dan.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:03 PM

Jerry,

Blaine can't TIG aluminum, only steel and stainless steel.

If I were you I'd skip the aluminum pan and stick with steel if you run an auxiliary cooler for your ATF. I don't think you'll see much cooling benefit from the short fins, especially once you cover the pan up with a big 'ole skid plate. Besides, once an entire part constructed of aluminum gets hot, I think a lot of people would be surprised at just how long it stays hot and retains heat. I know I was.....

As for welding in a bung for the sender.....I avoided this step. The sender that came with my Autometer gauge fit into a B&M drain plug kit, replacing the actual drain plug itself. The threads were the same. Just some FYI to simplify your project.
What About You?
What Do You Think Of Me?
Old 10-10-2007, 09:31 PM

Thanks Allen, that's solid advice. I'm still leaning towards the Mopar pan just because it has the bung built in & I believe it will be stronger than the steel pan... just in case. It seems like the simplest approach at this point.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Thanks Allen, that's solid advice. I'm still leaning towards the Mopar pan just because it has the bung built in & I believe it will be stronger than the steel pan... just in case. It seems like the simplest approach at this point.
Were it me and I were going to do this during a tranny swap, I would buy a temp gauge and two senders and install them in the two lines on the driver's side of vehicle. One for trans temp and the other for the cooled fluid returning from the radiator.

Wire those up to a DPDT switch that feeds the gauge so you know what your delta actually is.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:30 AM

I'll have to give you a call on that Blaine, I'm not sure how I'd get the senders installed into the lines so they'd get accurate readings. I'll have to figure this out quickly though as I can't wait beyond today to switch my steel pan order to the aluminum pan I am leaning towards using.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I'll have to give you a call on that Blaine, I'm not sure how I'd get the senders installed into the lines so they'd get accurate readings. I'll have to figure this out quickly though as I can't wait beyond today to switch my steel pan order to the aluminum pan I am leaning towards using.
The senders are installed into the provided brass Tee that comes in the gauge kit and have the 1/8" NPT thread on the T side. You cut the line, install the T and screw in the sender.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:26 AM
Internet jeeps rule!

Jerry,

Check with Rubicon Express. I am looking for a deep pan as well but one that fits the 4-speed Auto and the RE LA skid. I talked to the RE folks at the Offroad Expo, and they have one but only for the 999/32RH. They told me it is $65

If any of you guys know of one for the 4-speed Auto, let me know.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Were it me and I were going to do this during a tranny swap, I would buy a temp gauge and two senders and install them in the two lines on the driver's side of vehicle. One for trans temp and the other for the cooled fluid returning from the radiator.

Wire those up to a DPDT switch that feeds the gauge so you know what your delta actually is.
Westach (http://www.westach.com) makes several "dual" gauges to show two different readings. I can't find it in their online catalog right now (looks like it's under construction), but I believe they have - or had - a 2" oil temp gauge with two needles. I remember looking at it when I was installing the gauges in my truck so I could measure the "in" and "out" temps. If it's still available, it would eliminate the need for the switch, and you could constantly monitor both temps with one gauge.

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 10-11-2007, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB98TJ View Post
Westach (http://www.westach.com) makes several "dual" gauges to show two different readings. I can't find it in their online catalog right now (looks like it's under construction), but I believe they have - or had - a 2" oil temp gauge with two needles. I remember looking at it when I was installing the gauges in my truck so I could measure the "in" and "out" temps. If it's still available, it would eliminate the need for the switch, and you could constantly monitor both temps with one gauge.
I should have know to check them. I had an issue with one of their gauges and they just took care of it, no questions asked. Purely not their fault.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:09 PM

Jerry, the nicest covers I have seen around are the PML covers..

http://www.yourcovers.com/
Old 10-11-2007, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by papromike View Post
Jerry, the nicest covers I have seen around are the PML covers..

http://www.yourcovers.com/
Thanks Mike, I ordered one for the tow rig.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:29 PM

I found the dual gauge at Westach which as you say Dan is not on their website. But they make one and it's the 2DC3-155. By the time you get the two senders it is $156.40 which I'm deciding is more than I (my wife) want to spend for a gauge.

Here's a pic of a similar Westach gauge that only differs by not saying Trans Temp on both sides...

NICE covers Mike but I'm going cheap now and sticking with the Mopar deep pan. Thanks for that link that only made me want one.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Thanks Mike, I ordered one for the tow rig.
N/P Blaine.. BTW, if you could PM me your info again

got a new cell phone (old one was stolen) and I dont have any of my contacts anymore

bummer, bummer
Old 10-12-2007, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by papromike View Post
N/P Blaine.. BTW, if you could PM me your info again

got a new cell phone (old one was stolen) and I dont have any of my contacts anymore

bummer, bummer
I've only tried calling you on both your cell and home about 6 different times. If you'd ever answer or take a call, you'd have both of my numbers.