Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 07-17-2004, 08:51 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

ExtremeAire OBA install

With just a couple of minor things left, we bascially finished up my buddy's OBA today.

Details at: http://www.stu-offroad.com/extremeair/extremeair-1.htm

I know that Robert would be VERY interested in this write-up.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:16 PM

Re: ExtremeAire OBA install

Quote:
Originally posted by Stu Olson
With just a couple of minor things left, we bascially finished up my buddy's OBA today.

I know that Robert would be VERY interested in this write-up.
Remember, OBA blows...or is that sucks. I can never remember
Old 07-17-2004, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Re: Re: ExtremeAire OBA install

Quote:
Originally posted by Darrell C
Remember, OBA blows...or is that sucks. I can never remember
It can't do one without the other.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:46 PM
I used to be nice, now I'm just butthurt

Send a message via AIM to blkTJ Send a message via Yahoo to blkTJ
I just can't understand why you folks don't get it. Just do it like I did, the right way. J/K.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:29 PM

nice write up stu but i'm not interested

seriously, I have enough air sources at this point and I haven't had to rig up some system that I pieced together to get there. 1 5lb co2 bottle mounted in the jeep with a quickdisconnect hose/regulator, the arb compressor for my lockers using a back-up valve for charging the arb compressor tank with co2 or emergency air for tires, 1 spare 5 gallon co2 bottle and soon 1 30lb bottle that will be hardmounted in the suburban.

no york nonsense for me
Old 07-19-2004, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates

<snip>I haven't had to rig up some system that I pieced together to get there.
Hum, let's see. You wrote:

"1 5lb co2 bottle mounted in the jeep with a quickdisconnect hose/regulator"

Then, "the arb compressor for my lockers using a back-up valve for charging the arb compressor tank with co2 or emergency air for tires"

Then, "1 spare 5 gallon co2 bottle"

And then, "soon 1 30lb bottle that will be hardmounted in the suburban."

Sounds like a lot of pieces to me

j/k Robert.

Both systems have their pro's and con's...
Old 07-19-2004, 08:20 AM

..... besides the ARB compressor, show me which one is plumbed into any of the Jeeps's systems, driven off the engine or is using a tank exposed underneath the hood or the frame?

Won't even mention the location of that stuff in the write-up as its in a place that I would never consider. My CO2 bottle bracket is hardmounted to the floor and center counsol behind and between the front seats. Its centered in the vehicle, down low and I still have full functionality of the Jeep interior, including the back seat if I need it.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:35 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Quote:
Won't even mention the location of that stuff in the write-up as its in a place that I would never consider.
If he's not already deaf from the noise of that compressor running right behind him (especially if the hard top is on), imagine what his heart will do if and when that pressure relief valve ever lets loose.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:51 AM

Quote:
[BWon't even mention the location of that stuff in the write-up as its in a place that I would never consider.[/B]
True enough. Thought about that myself.

Speaking of CO2 systems, I recall a thread from about a year ago, posted by Blaine, that mentioned a good price on CO2 bottles. I'll try and dig it up, but I was wondering if the offer was still valid?
Old 07-19-2004, 06:22 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Weston
If he's not already deaf from the noise of that compressor running right behind him (especially if the hard top is on), imagine what his heart will do if and when that pressure relief valve ever lets loose.
I would imagine the noise from the 150 PSI pop-off valve is a few orders of magnitude less than the 3000 PSI rupture disc in the CO2 tank.

I guess all the folks carrying CO2 never thought of that?

Sorry I posted a project that a friend did that doesn't "fit" the mold for what is an acceptable project.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:39 PM

Alright Stu, I'll say it (and mean it). Nice writeup as usual.
I love it when someone posts a writeup that might be helpfull to someone else and those that have something else just have to stick their negative opinions in just because it isn't what THEY have.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:05 PM

bzzzzztt. wrong answer. I posted that it was a nice write up and then I addressed stus' comment which was directed specifically towards me. don't go and get all butt hurt because I responded.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:08 PM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Robert....I didn't quote anything from your response.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:11 PM

no worries stu - its not worth arguing about. I wasn't being specific in my last response but it wasn't directed at you.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:41 PM

Quote:
I would imagine the noise from the 150 PSI pop-off valve is a few orders of magnitude less than the 3000 PSI rupture disc in the CO2 tank.

I guess all the folks carrying CO2 never thought of that?

A popped disc will definitely get your attention - Fred's let go while we were working in my garage (his Jeep was in the driveway) and it was loud. Hate to think of being in the Jeep when it happened...not to mention it might be a little hard to catch your breath if you have the top and doors on.

Each system has good and bad. I like my CO2, but not having to refill after every second or third trip would be nice, too.

BTW, nice install!

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 07-19-2004, 07:58 PM

Quote:
no york nonsense for me
Ok mate now I'm curious....I'm just about to fit a york etc......what's the prob with yorks???
www.jeepaction.com.au/
Old 07-19-2004, 09:30 PM

..........whats wrong with oiled on-board air?

imo, calling them rube goldbergian is being generous. they add engine drag, they cramp an already tight engine compartment, they need to be pieced together and typically it is not inexpensive to do so, they pump oil and frankly, who needs that much air? these are just my opinions though - carry on if they are not convincing or if you already purchased the stuff
Old 07-20-2004, 12:10 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Quote:
Sorry I posted a project that a friend did that doesn't "fit" the mold for what is an acceptable project.
Stu,

My quip was mostly tongue-in-cheek (though I really would be startled by the electric compressor starting when the tank got low) and I wasn't trying to bag on you and your friend's project.

Old 07-20-2004, 04:32 AM

Stu: My electric compressor (Thomas) is mounted above the trailing edge of my transfer case skid, with the tank mounted under the body right behind that. I don't do much for harder stuff, but haven't managed to hit any of it yet.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:24 AM

....my under tub mounted tank (drivers side opposite of the muffler) was becoming a rock magnet so I understand why folks wouldn't want it there as I decided I didn't want it there either. My issue was where to move the weight and I wanted to stay as low in the tub as possible.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:43 AM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
Robert, let me know how that 30 lb tank thing goes.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:19 AM

I found a Fire Protection guy here in Riverside John. He says $15 to test (tank is way out of date - its stamped 88 and they need it every 5 years in order to get filled), 20 for the valve and its unknown on the regulator or mounting bracket until he sees it. Then its $8.50 for the refill. Providing the tank is good - that makes for a great deal on a tow rig tank. Thanx again for the hook-up.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:26 AM

Send a message via ICQ to John Send a message via AIM to John Send a message via Yahoo to John
Sweet. Let me know when it's all said and done. I could pick up some more of these easy enough.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:04 AM
Aluminum LAs Drool!

Robert,

I wish I could get a refill for $8.50....I would be completely happy for that price even for a 10 gallon tank, let alone a 30 pounder. Add $10 to that 8.50 and that is what I am paying per 10 gallon refill. The fire extinguisher company I use was, at one time, reasonably price. I honestly believe they finally caught on and realized they were under cutting the weld shops and other such refill outlets that catered to the off-road folks and decided to increase their profit margin.

Jeff,
I'll wager a realistic amount that my buddy will see the compressor turn on once or twice during a trip....the first time being at the air down spot when he turns it on as he heads out to the trail. The one gallon tank should last him a reasonable amount of time (most of the trail??....depends on how many cycles his lockers go through).

I have heard his compressor running and when compared to my smaller QA2, I believe it makes less noise than the QA2.
Old 07-20-2004, 12:14 PM

Quote:

seriously, I have enough hot air sources at this point
There ya go Robert. I fixed it for you
Old 07-20-2004, 12:31 PM

Thanx.

.........but from where I'm sitting, it looks like its the Yorks and their adherents that are running a little hot here.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:06 PM

Quote:
..........whats wrong with oiled on-board air?

imo, calling them rube goldbergian is being generous. they add engine drag, they cramp an already tight engine compartment, they need to be pieced together and typically it is not inexpensive to do so, they pump oil and frankly, who needs that much air? these are just my opinions though - carry on if they are not convincing or if you already purchased the stuff
Fair & valid points...
Engine drag - I'm not hugely focused on performance or I'd have strocked/forced inductioned/etc it....but yeah don't like the idea of giving up some either.
Tight engine compartment - yup - but not so bad a most new motors these days....
Expense - mate you need the joys of paying as much as the orguinal item in shipping then anothe 15% onto of both for import dutiess & taxes....oh yeah an a final $50 slap just for customs looking at it....oh yeah a bad exchange rate doesn't help either

Air volume - My TJ is going the AiRock way and as such would have a reasonable air volume requirement - besides wouldn't you rather more than less
www.jeepaction.com.au/
Old 07-20-2004, 05:34 PM
Alloy USA Pimp

Send a message via AIM to Rockjeep Send a message via Yahoo to Rockjeep
Hey Robert,
Where here in my lovely city of riverside are you getting 30 lbs of co2 for $8.50. most shops around here ave charged me $8 just for 10 lbs. I'd like to go there. I use the co2 in the sand jeep and seem to sell every pound of co2 out in the dunes when I'm there.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:37 PM
Alloy USA Pimp

Send a message via AIM to Rockjeep Send a message via Yahoo to Rockjeep
Stu,
I had a thomas pump mounted behind the seat of my cj5 for years and hand it under the rear deck lid made out of 3/4" plywood. that thing drove me nuts and luckly I had a large enough tank so it only ran once in a while. Had the arbs running off it.
Kory
Old 07-20-2004, 07:57 PM

kory, the name of the place escapes me at the moment but he is on main, south of the 60. I dropped the tank off today so we'll see. he told me today all he would do is test, install a new valve and fill it. if I wanted the regulator and bracket I would need to go to another shop. mom and pop operation is almost to kind for a description but the price is right so far. i'll let you know how it goes.