Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Technical Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technical Forum The main forum for jeep related discussions. Mechanically Inept...

Old 08-16-2004, 01:33 PM

Keeping front end down

This past weekend I wheeled on the most difficult trails I have been on to date. We were at Tellico, and were doing some steep climbs on guardrail, hellicopter pad, and trail #2. During the steep ascents, my front end kept wanting to come up and over - prompting me to have a strap attached and spotters holding it down to keep that from happening.

I'm running the RE 4.5" LA kit, currie anti rock up front and stock sway bar in rear on 35" BFG's. I have triangulated the uppers in the rear (with the Clayton kit) to do away with the rear trackbar and some binding I was having.

I have been given the advice to weld some attachment points to the front axle to hook my winch up to so I can tighten the cable up before steep ascents and put more weight over the front tires.

What are you guys doing to help out with this? Since this was my first time offroad since I triangulated my uppers, as well as the hardest obstacles I have climbed, I'm not sure if this is a common problem or something to do with my new uppers.

Ideas/suggestions? Jeff
Old 03-13-2005, 05:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to Roll Over Pete Send a message via Yahoo to Roll Over Pete
I run water in my fronts and rears. 1/2 to 2/3 full @ 5-10 psi. And it works . Ask those I wheel with. On the bad side, you don't want to have high wheel spin. You can and will break something. That said, my Jeep seems to work well with the added weight... so to me, It's worth it.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:43 PM

Re: Keeping front end down

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeepin_Jeffster
This past weekend I wheeled on the most difficult trails I have been on to date. We were at Tellico, and were doing some steep climbs on guardrail, hellicopter pad, and trail #2. During the steep ascents, my front end kept wanting to come up and over - prompting me to have a strap attached and spotters holding it down to keep that from happening.

I'm running the RE 4.5" LA kit, currie anti rock up front and stock sway bar in rear on 35" BFG's. I have triangulated the uppers in the rear (with the Clayton kit) to do away with the rear trackbar and some binding I was having.

I have been given the advice to weld some attachment points to the front axle to hook my winch up to so I can tighten the cable up before steep ascents and put more weight over the front tires.

What are you guys doing to help out with this? Since this was my first time offroad since I triangulated my uppers, as well as the hardest obstacles I have climbed, I'm not sure if this is a common problem or something to do with my new uppers.

Ideas/suggestions? Jeff

Well, one thing that you can do is to lower your COG.
The RE4.5 lift is probably yielding around 6" of actually lift.
For 35's, the RE3.5 springs coupled with a 1'ish " bl should work well.

While on the subject of COG, you may wish to weigh your Jeep on a split platform scale, which can be found on most truck stops, and see who rear weight bias the Jeep is.
If you have a big spare, hanging off the rear, like most rear carrriers, you're not helping things much at all.
You can also check and see how you load up the vehicle, moving the heavy stuff down as low as possible and as much towards the center of the Jeep as possible.
If you haven't really checked before, you'll find the the "center" of the wheelbase of the Jeep is close to the steering wheel itself, which means that almost everything you add to the inside of the Jeep, especially in the area behing the front seats, will add rear weight bias.

I've been "playing" around with not only the weight of my Jeep, but also the front/rear bias, for a couple of years, and the difference that it's made (in the Jeep's climbing ability) has been pretty amazing.

Fred
Suspension - 4.5" Currie Suspension Lift + 2" PA body lift, RS9000 Shocks, Currie front adjustable track bar. Currie Tie Rod and Drag Link, Currie Anti-Rock Sway Bar, Currie control arms. RE adjustable rear track bar.
Axles & Lockers - Dana30/Dana44; LockRite/Full Detroit; 4.56.
Drivetrain - AA SYE and CV Driveshaft, Tera 2wd lo.
Armor - Full
Wheels - 35x12.50 R15 MT/R's sipped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
Recovery - Warn XD9000i