Go Back   JeepBBS > jeep related stuff only > Fabrication and Metalworking
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fabrication and Metalworking Get welding advice, discuss different alloys, share pictures of your first fabrication attempts, as well as welds you are especially proud of

Old 12-01-2007, 03:20 PM

Welding Bung to Pan

Based on a conversation with Blaine today, I've decided to mount one of the two tranny temp senders in the pan itself. My MIG welding skills are only fair so I'm concerned about welding a heavy steel bung to the fairly thin steel 32RH tranny pan (the Mopar deep pan).

Should I just tack it at one point and let it cool, then weld it at widely separated points with cool-down intervals between welds? I'm concerned with getting adequate penetration into the heavier bung without it warping or damaging the thinner pan material. Or am I just overly concerned about this?
Old 12-01-2007, 07:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to chef
got scrap? find something of similar thicknesses and do some tests.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Based on a conversation with Blaine today, I've decided to mount one of the two tranny temp senders in the pan itself. My MIG welding skills are only fair so I'm concerned about welding a heavy steel bung to the fairly thin steel 32RH tranny pan (the Mopar deep pan).

Should I just tack it at one point and let it cool, then weld it at widely separated points with cool-down intervals between welds? I'm concerned with getting adequate penetration into the heavier bung without it warping or damaging the thinner pan material. Or am I just overly concerned about this?
When you weld thin to thick is a good time to use the trigger weld technique to keep from burning through the thin stuff.

I'm assuming you have a hood you can see out of, so position the bung and point the electrode at it. Pull the trigger like you would for a tack and slightly walk the weld puddle down onto the thinner metal. As soon as you get any puddle in the thin stuff, stop and do it again right next to it.

Of course, you could always bring it to me and I'll be more than happy to do it for you.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:51 PM

Thank you very much for that offer Blaine, I'll just bring it up to you once I get the bung. I was really looking forward to welding it but I think this is a little beyond my skills right now. Thanks, hopefully next weekend if you're around and I get the bung by then.