Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 11-29-2005, 08:35 AM

Yep, blew the front of the box off about 100 yards into the trail. Given all the success we have had out there with Tommy's stuff, I am certain its an anomoly rather than some sort of product failure due to what I was doing with it. I had already passed the first obstacle and was on flat ground turning right when it let go. It maybe has 200 miles on it.

Its matching replacement bolted right in and allowed me to finish the trail as if nothing happened. Need to get in touch with Lee and see what they say about it but I have no doubt that it will be taken care of.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:42 AM
I showed Matt my twinkie and he like it.

robert... i hate to be the one, but you were not on flat ground when it let go. you just came from between the rocks, and were high left and off line. [not that your position would make it your fault that the box let go the way it did] remember all of us hanging off of the side of your jeep to get you onto flat ground while you winched down

i'm sure tommy will take care of you on that box.. i couldnt imagine him not. i have to get out there and measure my ram so i can get all of my junk installed on there.

by the way, it was nice wheeling with you, and your family again... your daughter is especially nice. thank her for protecting my camera for me while i was helping a jeep through.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 11-29-2005, 09:03 AM

Erik, I guess what I meant is that I was not crossed up in the rocks with the steering in a bind. The ground was just a bit tilted is all......... but still flat

Nice wheeling with you and Becky as well. Did the pix I took of you on Upper Big Johnson with your camera turn out? I'm an idiot with cameras
Old 11-29-2005, 09:07 AM

yes... most of the pics came out great. i just cant get them up onthe net yet because my normal computer is not hooked up due to painting, and carpet. my laptop doesnt have the right program on it to upload.
soon enough i hope.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by NAILER341

i'm sure tommy will take care of you on that box.. i couldnt imagine him not. i have to get out there and measure my ram so i can get all of my junk installed on there.
Erik,
Have you installed the ram yet?

With Blaines help we came up with a real slick way to mount the fixed end of my ram. I used the trackbar mount that sticks up from the vac housing, required a slight modification to the mount. Turned out great and the additional power from the ram has made turning at JV effortless (thats with a stock pump and box).

Also, I have plenty of spare chromoly tubing for you if you decide to rework your steering links.

Matt
Old 11-29-2005, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Pascoe
Erik,
Have you installed the ram yet?

With Blaines help we came up with a real slick way to mount the fixed end of my ram. I used the trackbar mount that sticks up from the vac housing, required a slight modification to the mount. Turned out great and the additional power from the ram has made turning at JV effortless (thats with a stock pump and box).

Also, I have plenty of spare chromoly tubing for you if you decide to rework your steering links.

Matt
that looks great, matt.
i will hook mine up very much the same as yours. i would deffinately like to buy the remaining tubing from you to make my steering rods. the dom stuff i have is not large enough i.d. to accept the fitting ends i have. i would have sure liked to have tested your steering out... how is it on the road? feel nice?
Old 11-29-2005, 09:17 AM

the bracket holding the ram to the tie rod... is that one you made, or something you bought?
Old 11-29-2005, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by NAILER341
the bracket holding the ram to the tie rod... is that one you made, or something you bought?
Yea, I copied Blaines bracket. Pretty easy to make after you see one up close.

I drove the Jeep briefly this afternoon and still don't know what I think about the road manners. Its different... and definately slower. The return to center seems dampened and I think that is giving me a "wandering" sensation.

If I wind up not being happy with the road manners it's certainly easy enough to disconnect the ram when off the trail.

I'll be in touch about the tubing. Do you have tube adapters yet? If not a have a good local source (~$6 ea IIRC).

For some odd reason my doors wouldnt fit back on this afternoon
Old 11-29-2005, 10:19 PM

Quote:
there's plenty of people that have that very same problem ... better sell them hard doors while they're still in good shape
Old 11-30-2005, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Yea, I copied Blaines bracket. Pretty easy to make after you see one up close.

I drove the Jeep briefly this afternoon and still don't know what I think about the road manners. Its different... and definately slower. The return to center seems dampened and I think that is giving me a "wandering" sensation.

If I wind up not being happy with the road manners it's certainly easy enough to disconnect the ram when off the trail.

I'll be in touch about the tubing. Do you have tube adapters yet? If not a have a good local source (~$6 ea IIRC).

i do already have the adapters... if for any reason a rod end size changes, i'll take you up on your resource.
sorry to hear about the road manners...
hopefully it is something you an get used to.