Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 03-15-2003, 07:01 AM

Stuck drive flange in the rear hub.

This is on the Warn 5-on-5.5 rear full floater. The hubs were really tight going in. The driver side required a few taps with rubber mallet. The passenger one I tapped in half way. Then I could not go back, so I used a hammer to "beat" it in. All in hopes of both loosenning up with wheeling. Now I need to do the bearings and the driver side is still stuck in there good. I have not looked at the PS yet.

Any ideas on how to get it out? I can't get to the t-bolts on the axle flange as the hub is in the way on the outside and the disk rotor on the inside. Drilling and tapping the flange will not work - I think this piece is hardened.

I wish I had kept the locking hubs in there. Or did not listen to "Oh yeah, they go in real tight but they loosen with bit of running".

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2003, 01:44 PM

How about welding bolts to the flange and using a slide hammer? Any better ideas?
Old 03-15-2003, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Try the drill and see if it makes any progress first. Eliminate the possibility of drilling before you go any further. They may only be hardened on the exterior and not through hardened.
Old 03-15-2003, 09:16 PM

OK. I tried the other side (the one I initially had to tap in with a rubber mallet) and that one loosened up with wheeling and I was able to pull it out easily. Did not want to go back in as easily but that's OK I guess I could just tap it in again. This makes me think the other side (the one that had to be hammered in was not my fault).

Blaine,
I'm not sure what you mean (but it's late for me so it sould be my brain not working). You say try drilling and then you say eliminate the possibility of drilling. Which is it? I have not tried anything with that side yet. Or are you saying try drilling just to see how hard the surface is?

FWIW,
I think the drive flanges (if they're usually like my driver side one) are better for keeping dirt out of the bearings and/or probably better for oiling your bearings using diff oil and no seal around the axleshaft. Better than locking hubs that is.
Old 03-15-2003, 10:04 PM
Administrator

I mean try drilling to see if it is too hard. If it's not too hard, that's a pretty easy way to get it out.

If it won't drill, then we can explore further options.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:17 PM

Have not tried drilling. But instead got my butt in gear and finally put the breaker in the main pannel a hooked up the 220 MIG. Then, not having any skill welding, I of course got my buddy to tack on couple of bolts. Put a plate across the hub's edge and by tightening couple of nuts was able to extract flange out of the hub easily. I will cut the bolts off and clean it up later to see if I can reuse the flanges. For now I'll switch back to the locking hubs.

Thanks!!!