Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 04-14-2003, 08:35 AM

Thumbs down Safety Seal question, Blaine, or anyone ??

Seems to me that I seem to remember seeing a photo that Blaine posted some time ago, showing a tire with the sidewall patched with Safety Seals.. I seem to remember those plugs being gray in color.. I have a Safety Seal kit, but the plugs are dog poop brown.. Are there seal different types of plugs ?
Dan and I couldn't really get the brown ones to hold in a sidewall, though it really was a long ( 3" ~ 4" long).. Maybe it was just too long

Fred
Old 04-14-2003, 09:07 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

My Safety Seal plugs are of the dog poop color variety too. The only time I wasn't able to patch a sidewall with them was on a Grand Cherokee's stock Goodyears. The sidewalls were so weak that the tear spread as I added each plug.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:49 AM

If they look like little tiny slim jims, you have the right ones.

The ones you saw in the picture probably looked grey from all the dirt and dust they picked up on the trail.

They work really well, but you have to stuff about 2 to 4 more in the sidewall rip, than you think you need. (Cutting off the excess ends sticking out helps keep the plug from getting ripped out as you drive past rocks and such)
Old 04-14-2003, 11:57 AM

Cool

Ok, it sounds like I do have the correct ones. The problem that we had (and the sidewall may just have been too weak, and the rip too large), was that they would ooze out again in short order.. Wouldn't stick in the rip..

Fred
Suspension - 4.5" Currie Suspension Lift + 2" PA body lift, RS9000 Shocks, Currie front adjustable track bar. Currie Tie Rod and Drag Link, Currie Anti-Rock Sway Bar, Currie control arms. RE adjustable rear track bar.
Axles & Lockers - Dana30/Dana44; LockRite/Full Detroit; 4.56.
Drivetrain - AA SYE and CV Driveshaft, Tera 2wd lo.
Armor - Full
Wheels - 35x12.50 R15 MT/R's sipped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
Recovery - Warn XD9000i
Old 04-14-2003, 02:10 PM

I really do think the "weak" sidewall was the problem - the hole started out about 2" long, and got longer each time we shoved another plug in. By the time it failed completely the hole was from the rim to the tread. I'm still amazed at how well and for how long the tires have held up.....a heckuva lot longer than the spare did, that's for sure.

Looks like four 35x12.50 MTRs are gonna be $852, plus road hazards (I think they're around $20-25 each tire).

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 04-14-2003, 04:26 PM

On the plus side though, you'll be able to plug a sidewall tear on the MTR's. Many of us have gotten off hard trails using a safety seal kit instead of our spares.
Old 04-14-2003, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by speaceman
On the plus side though, you'll be able to plug a sidewall tear on the MTR's. Many of us have gotten off hard trails using a safety seal kit instead of our spares.
Ah yes - I remember watching Scott patch your ripped MT/R on the rubicon - cigarette dangling from his lips while cursing a blue streak - it was a thing of beauty - and it held air the whole way home!

Jeff