Go Back   JeepBBS > Discussion Battleground > Jeep Friends Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Jeep Friends Forum This is a forum for jeep friends to hang out. For more formal atmosphere hop over to the Technical Forum

Old 06-05-2006, 12:07 PM

People!!

What is it about some people that they feel that they need to make complete !#@$ out of themselves.

Last weekend I ran across a group of people up in big bear driving stupid rigs with like 42" IROKS on them and big v8s under the hood acting like ARSES...

I had my kids with me was exiting 3n02, these guys all had Full beers in their hands and were the rudest group I have ever run into, I actually went down the way they came up and stopped 2xs to pick up cans on the trail (not sure if they were theirs, but i just put 2 and 2 together)

Why do people feel the need get DRUNK on the trail??

Why do people feel the need to drive off the trail with 42" + tires??

Later that day, one of the guys in the group rolled his junk on the newely opened deep creek trail and just left the vehicle for like 2 hours blocking the trail.

I wasnt on that run, but they hadnt even bothered to pick up the debris from the flop..

People.....sometimes... just **** me off....
Old 06-05-2006, 01:07 PM

Re: People!!

Quote:
Originally posted by papromike
People........ just plain pi$$ me off....
Fixed it for you........and me
Old 06-05-2006, 02:14 PM

Re: People!!

Quote:

Why do people feel the need get DRUNK on the trail??

Why do people feel the need to drive off the trail with 42" + tires??

The drinking on the trail is one reason I don't wheel that much anymore or don't belong to any formal clubs. There are a lot of people around to wheel with, but the vast majority seem to like getting loaded on the trail, and I just don't want to be around that crap. Too bad it's so hard to coordinate runs with the handful of responsible people....

People driving off the trail - regardless of the size tires they run - **** me off. It's their behavior that gives the environmental groups so much ammunition to use when it comes time to close the trails.

Hmmm...come to think of it, I think Robert's "fix" works pretty well for me, too.

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 06-05-2006, 03:38 PM

Anyone driving on any trail in Big Bear with 42" tires has a small weenie and is compensating. FACT
Old 06-05-2006, 03:45 PM

It's true of any hobby or pasttime that the small minority of kooks give everyone else a bad name.

What's the solution though? That's the real issue.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paradiddle
....... has a small weenie and is compensating. FACT
....probably short in stature too
Old 06-05-2006, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert J. Yates
Hey, I resemble that remark!

NOW: 1996 XJ, 4.0/AW4/NP242. 1.5" spacer/shackle lift, 30x9.50's, open both ends

GONE: 1998 TJ, 4.0/5-speed. Currie lift. D44/HP D30, 4.88s, Detroits, Tera 4:1, 2-low. 35" MTRs

"The man who loves other countries as much as his own stands on a level with the man who loves other women as much as he loves his own wife."

"We can have no "50-50" allegiance in this country. Either a man is an American and nothing else, or he is not an American at all."

Theodore Roosevelt
Old 06-05-2006, 03:51 PM

Quote:
yeah, that is why I just did a seat lift on my ZJ.....

Yeah think about it..

Buggy converted FJ with fullwidth dana 60 front, fullwidth 14 bolt rear

I think it had 1/4 eliptical setup and 42" iroks.

the rig was wider than the trail..

and had a big sticker on the back that read.

BAMF..
Old 06-05-2006, 04:03 PM
Reggae

Mike,

In my humble opinion, if they didn't do anything bad to you or your family personally, just let it go.

Let the Sierra club fight their battle; don't make it easier for the enviro-nazis by fighting among ourselves.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:03 PM

Quote:
BAMF..

Boys Against Motherly Fornication? Bwahahahahahahaha
Old 06-05-2006, 04:53 PM

You didn't go into the details of them driving off of the trail but thats a bad thing no matter what engine and tire size they are running. So I'm not sure of the point of being down on them because of the kind of rig they have, people drive what they own. If the issue is being overbuilt for the terrain then its just as fair to say that any jeep capable of doing well at JV doesn't belong at Big Bear either.

The issue of drinking on the trails has been discussed ad nauseam. Some people don't drink on the trail and won't wheel with people that do because they aren't sure who can or can't handle it responsibly. It's a fair position to take. Others choose to drink responsibly and yet others choose to drink irresponsibly. The issue of responsibility in general is one of the most important things in choosing who to wheel with in my opinion. The nice thing is that we're all free to choose and hopefully the irresponsible ones are ultimately taken care of by law enforcement.

As for the rollover not having seen it obviously I wonder if they were having a tough time getting it back over for some reason. Don't know but sometimes there is a more involved story.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Welch
The issue of drinking on the trails has been discussed ad nauseam. Some people don't drink on the trail and won't wheel with people that do because they aren't sure who can or can't handle it responsibly. It's a fair position to take. Others choose to drink responsibly and yet others choose to drink irresponsibly. The issue of responsibility in general is one of the most important things in choosing who to wheel with in my opinion. The nice thing is that we're all free to choose and hopefully the irresponsible ones are ultimately taken care of by law enforcement.
You are impaired after one drink no matter what your body weight or "tolerance" is.

To think otherwise is delusional
Old 06-05-2006, 11:02 PM

Quote:
You didn't go into the details of them driving off of the trail but thats a bad thing no matter what engine and tire size they are running. So I'm not sure of the point of being down on them because of the kind of rig they have, people drive what they

As for the rollover not having seen it obviously I wonder if they were having a tough time getting it back over for some reason. Don't know but sometimes there is a more involved story.
Art, from what I understand the reason why the guy flopped his rig is because he was drunk and driving crazy....
Old 06-06-2006, 05:28 AM

Quote:
You are impaired after one drink no matter what your body weight or "tolerance" is.

All of us are also impaired when tired or distracted as well. The responsibility part comes in with being aware at all times and either choosing to behave properly and safely or choosing not to drive if you can't.

From what Mike said it sounds as if the guy that rolled his rig wasn't behaving responsibly whether by choice or lack of awareness. Lets hope he didn't hurt himself or anyone else.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Anyone driving on any trail in Big Bear with 42" tires has a small weenie and is compensating. FACT
Someone's been lurking JU OT. FACT!

"Trackbar axle bolt - need FORK LIKE THINGY "
Old 06-06-2006, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Croaker
Someone's been lurking JU OT. FACT!
Hello Mr. Pot
Old 06-06-2006, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Hello Mr. Pot
I don't lurk....

Old 06-06-2006, 08:34 AM
Can I get a mint julep with that?

Quote:
I don't want to know how you compiled your data!
Old 06-06-2006, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Weston
I don't want to know how you compiled your data!

Old 06-06-2006, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Croaker
I don't lurk....
I know
Old 06-06-2006, 11:08 AM

Quote:

Well, as dividing line, that is probably a correct enough statement.

I think in reality, certain people could drive just fine with only one beer under their belt, especially if they have had it with food and/or waited a bit before driving.

However, my only real issue with the above is I have never, ever, ever seen anyone that drinks, only drink one beer.

Not at social situations, not at parties, not when wheeling, not at a ball game. Never. In all my life, never.

That's the issue. People who drink, never drink just one beer.

That's where the line to danger is crossed when wheeling and drinking is concerned.

At least in my mind.

I think it is far better to just say no when it comes to wheeling and drinking, as a general rule.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:17 AM

I'm with Art - enough about the beer and why do the 42's have anything to do with this? Irresponsible is irresponsible. Its certainly not the tires fault the guy is a redneck douchebag by going off trail.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:23 AM

Well, I agree with art also. It is about behaving responsibly.

But what do you do when you come across someone that is not?

It seems like most wheelers are happy to turn a blind eye.

I guess we've done this debate to death and it never seems to go anywhere. Maybe it's just best to let it lie, as sergey stated.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by speaceman
Well, I agree with art also. It is about behaving responsibly.

But what do you do when you come across someone that is not?

It seems like most wheelers are happy to turn a blind eye.

I guess we've done this debate to death and it never seems to go anywhere. Maybe it's just best to let it lie, as sergey stated.
NO, it's not about behaving responsibly when it comes to drinking and driving. I dare anyone who makes that statement to follow me to any local police station for a little sobriety check.

Only someone attempting to justify drinking and driving would make that statement. It is that simple.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrblaine
I dare anyone who makes that statement to follow me to any local police station for a little sobriety check.
I'd be glad to Blaine.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:23 PM

Quote:
<SNIP>
Some people don't drink on the trail and won't wheel with people that do because they aren't sure who can or can't handle it responsibly. It's a fair position to take. Others choose to drink responsibly and yet others choose to drink irresponsibly. <SNIP>
The issue of "responsibility" has NOTHING to do with anything.

Y'all do realize, don't you, that it's as fully ILLEGAL to drink and drive off road as it is to drink and drive on road, right .....

It doesn't matter in the least, if you're driving, behind the wheel, whether you're on a paved road, a dirt road, a private road, a rock, on no road, whatever, IT'S ILLEGAL TO DRINK AND DRIVE, PERIOD !!!!!!!!!

Fred
Suspension - 4.5" Currie Suspension Lift + 2" PA body lift, RS9000 Shocks, Currie front adjustable track bar. Currie Tie Rod and Drag Link, Currie Anti-Rock Sway Bar, Currie control arms. RE adjustable rear track bar.
Axles & Lockers - Dana30/Dana44; LockRite/Full Detroit; 4.56.
Drivetrain - AA SYE and CV Driveshaft, Tera 2wd lo.
Armor - Full
Wheels - 35x12.50 R15 MT/R's sipped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
Recovery - Warn XD9000i
Old 06-06-2006, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthTJ
The issue of "responsibility" has NOTHING to do with anything.

Y'all do realize, don't you, that it's as fully ILLEGAL to drink and drive off road as it is to drink and drive on road, right .....

It doesn't matter in the least, if you're driving, behind the wheel, whether you're on a paved road, a dirt road, a private road, a rock, on no road, whatever, IT'S ILLEGAL TO DRINK AND DRIVE, PERIOD !!!!!!!!!

Fred
Fred - The law in California addresses an open container in the vehicle regardless of BAC or driving with BAC of 0.08% or greater. My take is that 0.08% is probably too lenient and the law should be more aggressive however if you want to talk about the law that's my understanding of how it is written.

Wouldn't you agree that it's responsible to obey the law and irresponsible to disobey it?
Old 06-06-2006, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Fred - The law in California addresses an open container in the vehicle regardless of BAC or driving with BAC of 0.08% or greater. My take is that 0.08% is probably too lenient and the law should be more aggressive however if you want to talk about the law that's my understanding of how it is written.

Wouldn't you agree that it's responsible to obey the law and irresponsible to disobey it?
Of course, however I was referring to this statement:

[quote]
The issue of drinking on the trails has been discussed ad nauseam. Some people don't drink on the trail and won't wheel with people that do because they aren't sure who can or can't handle it responsibly.
[/quoe]

About people who can or can't handling drinking and driving "responsibly".

There simply isn't a choice.
It's illegal to drink while driving, no matter where one is driving.
This has nothing to do with BAC, it, simply, has to do with drinking while driving.

BTW, it's a Federally mandated thing, that the States can lose some funding (highway funding I believe) if it's not enforced on the State level.

I checked into it a while back (here in AZ it is illegal to drink and drive by State law also) when a local online "club" had one of their annual debates about calling out out dry runs vs runs that the members can drink on.
Talk about something that's utterly insane, though that's the mentality of so many off roaders.

Fred
Suspension - 4.5" Currie Suspension Lift + 2" PA body lift, RS9000 Shocks, Currie front adjustable track bar. Currie Tie Rod and Drag Link, Currie Anti-Rock Sway Bar, Currie control arms. RE adjustable rear track bar.
Axles & Lockers - Dana30/Dana44; LockRite/Full Detroit; 4.56.
Drivetrain - AA SYE and CV Driveshaft, Tera 2wd lo.
Armor - Full
Wheels - 35x12.50 R15 MT/R's sipped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
Recovery - Warn XD9000i